Still Crum-bling on the hill in Allentown - August 5, 2023

22 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

THAT is what you took from this post? Barry has long covid effects, not old age or dementia. I have a friend who is still struggling with long covid symptoms after 2 years, so it's real. We should all hope Barry fully recovers soon.

C'mon, I know you're better than that.

My aunt is a healthcare worker (as am I) and has long covid, I very much understand on a personal level the debilitating effects it can have. 

But looking at this from a non-emotional position, if a condition prevents someone from performing their job at a competent level, then it is time to take a break until they make a full recovery. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

My aunt is a healthcare worker (as am I) and has long covid, I very much understand on a personal level the debilitating effects it can have. 

But looking at this from a non-emotional position, if a condition prevents someone from performing their job at a competent level, then it is time to take a break until they make a full recovery. 

Is it his job?  Or does he volunteer his time.  Not that it matters all that much anyway.  Given this IS a youth activity, can we not cut someone some slack especially for something not all that critically important in life?  I thought one thing we were all getting from our experience with Covid is to be a little kinder, a little more compassionate.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Is it his job?  Or does he volunteer his time.  Not that it matters all that much anyway.  Given this IS a youth activity, can we not cut someone some slack especially for something not all that critically important in life?  I thought one thing we were all getting from our experience with Covid is to be a little kinder, a little more compassionate.  

I made no crass comments about the announcer (or any at all for that matter, can’t say the same for some others on DCP), all I am saying is that maybe it is time to take a break if he is having a hard time performing the main aspect of the job. I would think it’s in DCI’s best interests that the paying audience can understand what is being relayed. This is not any different than the comments that get made about Brandt every year (who I always defend). 

If me saying he should take a break until he recovers is considered lacking compassion, then so be it, this will be my last post about it. But I won’t apologize for my opinion as nothing I have said is wrong, rude, or insensitive. 

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

First, you used the word "retire", not "take some time off to make a full recovery". 

Second, you are talking about an announcer for a drum corps show, not the CEO of an S&P 500 company.

Your follow-up's show some compassion, which I would expect from you. But that initial comment showed none, which is why you were called out. Misunderstanding... all good.

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

It's always like this. The fans of the corps on Day 1 say you can't compare, and the fans of the corps on Day 2 say you can (as well as DCI).

Turned out to be somewhat of a moot point, anyway, as BD scored higher on Friday than anyone scored on Saturday, and Crown and BAC went head-to-head on Saturday.  That leaves the only open unresolved issue being whether BC would have beaten BAC and Crown had they performed the same night.

Given that BC received a penalty of 0.4 is a Regional, though, they likely would have been seeded 4th anyway, so even the BC placement issue is a non-issue.

Disclaimer - I didn't do the math on penalty impact on placements, so my last assertion may be incorrect.

Ultimately, Thursday will "fix" any seeding issues (to the extent that they even exist).

• Like 1

So we've moved on from bickering about 1 vs 2 night scoring, and to bickering about whether an announcer should keep the gig?

Aren't we there to watch the corps?  Announcer, while a small element of an experience, shouldn't make or break a show.

I'm assuming many of us marched at some point, either in DCI, DCA, or marching band.  Given the animosity and strong opinions among posters, it's a miracle any corps/bands were fielded with any success.  Imagine DCP members getting together to staff a corps.  I'm imagining last place at Open Class prelims, as nobody would be able to stop arguing.

44 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I made no crass comments about the announcer (or any at all for that matter, can’t say the same for some others on DCP), all I am saying is that maybe it is time to take a break if he is having a hard time performing the main aspect of the job. I would think it’s in DCI’s best interests that the paying audience can understand what is being relayed. This is not any different than the comments that get made about Brandt every year (who I always defend). 

If me saying he should take a break until he recovers is considered lacking compassion, then so be it, this will be my last post about it. But I won’t apologize for my opinion as nothing I have said is wrong, rude, or insensitive. 

i think something here to consider is that our friend barry might not know how long he will be fighting the effects of his illness. maybe barry is worried if he takes time away from the job he does, he might not get the opportunity to do it again. personally, i didn't hate his announcing and i thought it was way better than some other announcers ive heard in the past. i respect barry for pushing through and pursuing the job in spite of his situation. it takes guts to put yourself in front of tens of thousands of people to make announcements, and i respect the effort.

18 hours ago, postertrout said:

That venue in ATL is a logisitcal nightmare; the Cadets could not get their food truck in the parking lot due to a crazy bump at the entrance to the lot. They had to park far away from the buses. I watched several rigs and buses attempt to clear the bump and almost get stuck in the attempt. 

You are correct. I watched equipment truck drivers doing three point turns just to get thru the gates. The drop trailers ( food trucks etc. ) were grounding and were remote from the buses.  Management and staff have their own difficulties  ( financial costs,, distance to housing etc. )  It is just too far into the city.  It is understandable that several corps on a fine line are bypassing Atlanta.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

i think something here to consider is that our friend barry might not know how long he will be fighting the effects of his illness. maybe barry is worried if he takes time away from the job he does, he might not get the opportunity to do it again. personally, i didn't hate his announcing and i thought it was way better than some other announcers ive heard in the past. i respect barry for pushing through and pursuing the job in spite of his situation. it takes guts to put yourself in front of tens of thousands of people to make announcements, and i respect the effort.

In the end, it’s really not a big deal. My opinion is just a bunch of meaningless words that have no impact on real life decisions regarding this. My comment could’ve been just as easily ignored if this was considered small potatoes. 

Edited by Cappybara

6 hours ago, ContraFart said:

So are you saying the numbers ARE transferrable? 

Judge your sheet and the show of the day. And the panel did both shows