The Cadets 2024

41 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Cadets helped to take an 17 year old teenager, who spent his childhood surrounded by drugs, gangs, and typical inner-city problems, and allowed him to see what life should be like. If it weren't for Cadets, he wouldn't have spent 21 years in the Navy created a life for himself that's worthy of celebration. That kid was me. 

The Cadets mean EVERYTHING to me. If they need to take a year off to get things back in shape, then so be it. I'm sad that this is happening, but with the continuing rising costs of everything, I can neither be surprised nor naive that this won't happen to other corps, because with the current trend, it will. 

Ditto @keystone3ply's reply. You are gold, young man. 

• Like 4

On 10/14/2023 at 12:54 PM, 2000Cadet said:

Cadets helped to take an 17 year old teenager, who spent his childhood surrounded by drugs, gangs, and typical inner-city problems, and allowed him to see what life should be like. If it weren't for Cadets, he wouldn't have spent 21 years in the Navy created a life for himself that's worthy of celebration. That kid was me. 

The Cadets mean EVERYTHING to me. If they need to take a year off to get things back in shape, then so be it. I'm sad that this is happening, but with the continuing rising costs of everything, I can neither be surprised nor naive that this won't happen to other corps, because with the current trend, it will. 

One of the best posts I've ever read on any of these forums. 

• Like 4

On 10/14/2023 at 12:37 PM, OldSnareDrummer said:

Ditto @keystone3ply's reply. You are gold, young man. 

Lots of drum corps did that for a lot of kids. Bridgemen were full of bad a55 Street kids who learned about discipline, teamwork and hard work, 3 things that a lot of punks who are terrorizing big cities sure could use a dose of. 

• Like 1

While not a “menace to society”, I was a bit of a PITA to my family. Drum corps showed me that it isn’t all about me but rather being a part of something bigger which gave me a sense of contributing to a bigger picture. This made all the difference in the world to me and this is now why I contribute what I can to keep that dream alive. I believe, with all my heart, this is still a basic tenet of the drum corps experience. It’s not always about chasing a ring. If you feel this opinion is a Dino waxing poetic…I’m sorry you missed out on what drum corps meant to me BITD.

• Like 4

The days of "keep the kids off the streets" drum corps have been gone for decades, now. I'd even venture to guess that a majority of the membership of the the top corps are all music, performance, and dance majors. I don't think you would find anyone who is marching in the Blue Devils who is going into a career outside of music, dance, and the like. It has become a niche activity that caters to a specific group of individuals. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, corps8294 said:

The days of "keep the kids off the streets" drum corps have been gone for decades, now. I'd even venture to guess that a majority of the membership of the the top corps are all music, performance, and dance majors. I don't think you would find anyone who is marching in the Blue Devils who is going into a career outside of music, dance, and the like. It has become a niche activity that caters to a specific group of individuals. 

Yeah, I think everyone involved in corps be it dino-fans like me or current participants realize that .While all of that is likely true, it's still heartwarming to hear stories like @2000Cadet's., @Sutasaurusand @TenHut

• Like 4

On 8/14/2023 at 12:20 PM, frachel said:

Personally, I'd like to next year's show to have a little less percussion-only time.

I think they were just making up for the absence of 3 or 4 or 5 Rennick solos last year.

18 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I'll try to find the link, but I swear DCI survey results showed WC was like 60% music and music ed majors.  

Mike

• Like 1

There are many students who are music performance and ed majors. Ed students in particular benefit substantially in that they get to experience top-notch instruction in the marching arts and see how such organizations function -- the logistics involved with a traveling ensemble, the infrastructure involved, the dynamics of handling staff and volunteers.

From my years of experience involved with World Class corps, what MikeN cites as the percentage of students majoring in music seems about right.

Drum corps, for all its flaws, is an important training ground for music educators. The student involved appreciate that fact.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

I'll try to find the link, but I swear DCI survey results showed WC was like 60% music and music ed majors.  

Mike

I just had a little giggle. In 1979, 27 had 20 sops. Two were music majors.