The Staff Merry-go-round

15 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Dan A approved SCV to participate in the tour in 2024. But because SCV was a no-show at nationals, by rule they are no longer a member corps of DCI. So while Dan was able to grant permission to participate in shows, only the members can decide whether to grant membership status on SCV -- and thus the benefits that membership would bestow. The burden is on Santa Clara to make its case to the members.

I believe that last year, Spirit was scheduled for shows in 2023 prior to their membership being approved. I heard last summer that DCI wants to keep roughly the same number of shows but wants the rosters to be larger. They also want to see some all age corps in some of the shows which would impact OC shows since WC has San Antonio and Atlanta/NightBEAT on two of the weekends and the Northeast corps would probably not make the trip to those locales. I would think including SCV in the mix would make scheduling easier but it’s not a guarantee of participation.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I believe that last year, Spirit was scheduled for shows in 2023 prior to their membership being approved.

It's important to remember that permission to participate in shows is a consideration separate from being granted membership in DCI. A corps can obtain the former even it if has not obtained the latter. For the moment, anyway, this is exactly the situation SCV is in: they are greenlighted to roll into town and show up at the gate. However, until a majority of DCI members says otherwise, SCV will show up to competitions as an outsider, not as a DCI member.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I did not remember DCI placing Spirit on probation, but Google says it happened.  I tend to think any member corps, knowing this is how it works, would try to obtain probationary status whenever they have to take a year off.  Maybe SCV is already under double secret probation, with this in mind.

Dang; kind of an ear worm...

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

It's important to remember that permission to participate in shows is a consideration separate from being granted membership in DCI. A corps can obtain the former even it if has not obtained the latter. For the moment, anyway, this is exactly the situation SCV is in: they are greenlighted to roll into town and show up at the gate. However, until a majority of DCI members says otherwise, SCV will show up to competitions as an outsider, not as a DCI member.

In any event , I’m pretty sure that should SCV return to competition in 2024 after choosing to take the 2023 season off , that their decision will require that they perform first at every show they are in until the  San Antonio Regional before  other World Class Division Corps ( such as Cascades ,  Pacific Crest , Academy , etc )  perform in competition .  I can’t imagine these corps being pushed back to make room for a corps that chose to vacate the 2023 competition season . Nevertheless , if SCV makes it to the field of competition for 2024 that is good for everyone , imo and hope they qualify to do so .

• Like 3

Yeah, it will be an odd sight during June to see them at the gate at 6 p.m.

And will they get their DCI membership back? I expect they will. The current membership will, and should, grill VMAPA good and hard over its policies, procedures and paperwork of the past XX months, and with good reason. But at the end of the day, I believe all current members understand it is in their interest that DCI includes a healthy, competitive SCV. If they can be persuaded that SCV won't poison the product, they know that the overall product will be better with the Vanguard back in the fold.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

Not sure how many "current" members they have.  Remember they essentially lost TWO age out classes, both 22 and 23, and while they should be able to attract enough auditionees, they will probably have alot fewer vets than if they had come out this year.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Why would that happen?  If SCV is a world class corps, they will still perform after the open class corps.

I think that's what he meant. First WC corps to perform after Open Class, which I agree with. 

• Like 4