The Staff Merry-go-round

7 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

Just wanted to give GEM a shoutout for keeping up with all of the staff changes recently on their website 

https://www.generaleffect.media/p/dci-staff-changes-2023

Thanks! Speaking of, we've updated with Crossmen bringing Ray Ulibarri and a couple of the Reagan people into the fold when it comes to drums. Love their books, and it'll be a short commute for them. Interested to see what happens when it comes to who they bring on in charge of visual, both design and instruction.

• Like 1

Ooooooh good ole Ulibarri..... he was the percussion instructor at my high school. He started at KF during the fall semester in 2006. The man can teach and write really tasty stuff (he was with the Bluecoats I think in 07... I know he was there in 08). He helped us go back to area finals. He is a fantastic teacher.

However, him and I DID NOT get along. I definitely respect him as a teacher, but we have two completely different personalities. I was chosen to be the band librarian during my senior year, and yes, I did enjoy looking at every score I could look at lol!!! Anyways, I was told to not worry about making copies for percussion parts and that he would take care of it (yes, I did copy all of the percussion parts to start the marching season), but he would be rather rude to me when he had to make copies. I remember asking Worosello what his issue was and he had no idea what his problem was. To sum it up... we just didn't get a long. I still think he is a fantastic percussion teacher/writer.... but yeeeeesh.

Ok ok, I just remembered this story.... this one is pretty good. This one technically starts before my freshman year. There was a tuba player that decided to crawl through the ceiling and return a pair of keys (yes, we all knew he could have just unlocked the door.... he was sadly manipulated and keep in mind I wasn't there for this incident,  but my brother was there). So a big 6 ft man clearly fell through, made a huge hole, and still achieved his goal. So since then we called him.... Spider-man. It happened during TMEA and we definitely celebrated it, but his senior year.... we decided to go the next step. Me and a bunch of us low brass folk (I was adopted lol) decided to buy a BUNCH of silly string. We sprayed down his tuba locker (his tuba wasn't in there) and patiently waited for him to show up. So we wait patiently, we all have two cans of silly string in our hands, and he shows up about 15 minutes before the bell rings to go to first period. We started singing the 60s Spider-man theme and when we got to "spins a web" we sprayed him completely down. Yes, we all risked being written up for this amazing gag. Ulibarri decided to not go to TMEA and helped us prepare my ensemble for our performance in Corpus Christi. He just stood there, laughed a lot, then told us to clean it up. So you know, he does have a sense of humor and he COULD have written me up. Ooooh the silly/stupid things I did lol!!!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Ok ok, I just remembered this story.... this one is pretty good. This one technically starts before my freshman year. There was a tuba player that decided to crawl through the ceiling and return a pair of keys (yes, we all knew he 

Funny you saying this about crawling thru the ceiling. We had a "tuba" player that would do the same thing in HS to enter a locked storage room for the drum line. When I think back on some of the things we did in HS... 🤷‍♂️😂 

• Haha 1

The Cadets, Jacob Gall, posted on facebook he will not be returning. 

Jacob Gall is a huge loss in my opinion as someone who has been with the corps since 2006, teaching since 2009. 

Long tenure during his era with changes in the percussion section design/leadership but he remained through it all. Wishing him the best of luck on his new adventures, wishing the cadets a huge positive vibe trying to find a replacement 

• Like 1

not sure if it'll affect DCI, but Travis Peterman is in charge of the Reading Buccaneers percussion now

• Like 1