Number of Finals

On 8/27/2023 at 12:16 PM, kevingamin said:

I sat in the stands in Madison in 2006 and realized how uncomfortable that stadium is to sit in. I'm in the minority, but I'm glad DCI doesn't hold Finals there anymore.

Maybe a minority among those who've watched from Camp Randall more than once. Doubt it would be a minority among those who have watched from Lucas Oil more than once.

94, 95, 97, 99, 00, 01, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23

That looks like eleven total.  Favorite is tough, though I will say 2021 is up there just for the sheer emotion of having so many back after Covid.  

1999 may be the standard for me though, great trip and great corps!

• Like 2

Watched the DCI broadcast in 80, 81, and 82

Attended finals in 83, 84

Marched in 85 and 86

attended finals in 88, 89, 91, 00, 23

And my favorite that I attended was 89. Great year for Regiment and SCV.

Edited by Kopeck
  • Like 1

I’ve been to Finals every year since 1989, except for one - 2001.  So 34 total for me.

Missed 2001 because I was standing up in a good friend’s (an old trumpet teacher of mine) wedding.  Being a band director himself, you would have thought that he would have avoided that weekend for the wedding, since not only was the wedding on the same day as Finals that year, but periodically, future anniversaries would be too, but anyway… 😀.

There were a number of musicians besides me, including a Cavalier alum, that were all following the scores during the reception that year.  However, it was before the scores were readily available via the Internet, and we were relying on phone calls from a friend of the Cavalier alum who was in attendance to keep us updated.  For the record, my friend that got married is now divorced, but is very happily remarried since - and their anniversary is NOT in August at all.

As far as my favorite Finals - there are a lot of great memories from the trips we had with our group of family and friends (some that we marched with together) that would go with when Finals were at a different location every year.  We would piggyback a vacation onto the competition back then.

If I absolutely had to pick my favorite Finals, I would say my first one in 1989.  After seeing it on PBS for the prior four years, it was really exciting to finally see it in person.  Either that one or 1997, when I was still in graduate school, and my Master’s Exam (culminating exam that I needed to pass at the end of my course work to officially receive my Master’s degree) fell during the Finals trip.  At this time, the exam was only offered twice a year, and you had to take it with pencil and paper in-person at the school, no online possibilities existed.  I didn’t want to miss the test, nor the Finals trip.  I am fortunate that one of my really good friends in our group that would go every year was an airline employee that would accrue free flight passes as work benefits.  He told me that if I bought my original plane ticket, he could give me one of the free passes to fly back home after Finals to take the exam and then fly back after taking it to rejoin our group in Orlando/Disney for the rest of our vacation.  Good times 😀.

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 9:01 PM, Sh0uldN0t said:

Maybe a minority among those who've watched from Camp Randall more than once. Doubt it would be a minority among those who have watched from Lucas Oil more than once.

That wasn't my only Camp Randall experience, either as a fan or as a performer.

ok i actually counted...75,76, 82, 86,87,88, 90-96, 99-02, 2010

• Like 1

I just completed year number 3 (21-23) with no sign of stopping anytime soon. 

Made it around to many shows over the years before 21, just had never made it to Finals 

• Like 1