Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

4 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

They’ve sold assets and returned leased equipment. There is nothing left.  They have a few hundred thousand dollars owed in outstanding bills and increasing legal debt.  Not to mention what will be needed to settle legal outcomes.  There are no revenue sources.  The proverbial handwriting is on the wall. 

Southwind doesn’t seem poised to return either. Their parting message seemed to be it was fun but now it’s over. At least, it seemed that way to me. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, corps8294 said:

So, SCV has their staff in place for the upcoming year, they are planning on fielding a corps, and they are planning on touring; yet, there is still a lot of financial matters that haven't been resolved? WTH and WTF? 
I agree with Jeff. If it gets far enough along and it looks like things aren't going to happen; every member that auditions and pays dues should have every penny refunded and the corps should seriously give strong consideration to putting on the dirt blanket. 

I agree with this....not only that, but as far as the kids who are all in with SCV 2024, not only do they risk their money, but if it turns out at some point this winter that SCV is not going out, chances are great that the rest of the World Class corps have contracted full corps by then.  In fact, most corps will probably have contracted full rosters by the first of the year.  If I was a prospective member, particularly an ageout, I just wouldn't take the chance.

Contrary to urban myth here on dcp, most members are NOT wealthy and in fact scrimp to find every penny to march.  Yikes!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, corps8294 said:

So, SCV has their staff in place for the upcoming year, they are planning on fielding a corps, and they are planning on touring; yet, there is still a lot of financial matters that haven't been resolved? WTH and WTF? 
I agree with Jeff. If it gets far enough along and it looks like things aren't going to happen; every member that auditions and pays dues should have every penny refunded and the corps should seriously give strong consideration to putting on the dirt blanket. 

IMO any kid or parent even considering SCV should have their heads examined. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Southwind doesn’t seem poised to return either. Their parting message seemed to be it was fun but now it’s over. At least, it seemed that way to me. 🤷‍♀️

Yup; I know their new equipment truck is now with The Spartans.  Looks like 'as one might say', merger. (See picture in story) Tuition discount for former Southwind members was announced somewhere on social media. 

https://spartansdbc.org/spartans-drum-and-bugle-corps-launches-the-southwind-legacy-project-to-empower-future-generations-of-musicians-of-both-the-spartans-and-southwind-drum-and-bugle-corps/

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, craiga said:

If I was a prospective member, particularly an ageout, I just wouldn't take the chance.

I'd be kind of curious as to who is auditioning for them this year. Between no show for anyone in 2020, then sitting out 2021 (a video doesn't count), a pretty meh show in 2022 (just being honest), and being unable to field in 2023, what kind of memory would any 20 year old have of Vanguard to make them a destination stop? 

There are enough other options that anyone with only a year of eligibility should be looking elsewhere if they want a guarantee of having the summer on the road.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I'd be kind of curious as to who is auditioning for them this year. Between no show for anyone in 2020, then sitting out 2021 (a video doesn't count), a pretty meh show in 2022 (just being honest), and being unable to field in 2023, what kind of memory would any 20 year old have of Vanguard to make them a destination stop? 

There are enough other options that anyone with only a year of eligibility should be looking elsewhere if they want a guarantee of having the summer on the road.

They have an audition camp today/tomorrow in San Jose.   Will be interesting to see how many auditionees find the way.  I wonder if any independent info on turnout will be available (suspect any SCV press release will say huge turnout with highest talent level ever, even if reality is 7 people & a ham sandwich (iykyk))?  That said, I would hope that potential members determined to march in 2024 have a backup plan.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Stoopid autocorrect
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Well, DCI has a new executive director.   Let’s see if he has the cojones.  

That’s be nice but unless it’s a member safety issue that makes the news or a giant explosion on social media, dci the organization generally buries its head in the sand on financial issues. 

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I agree with this....not only that, but as far as the kids who are all in with SCV 2024, not only do they risk their money, but if it turns out at some point this winter that SCV is not going out, chances are great that the rest of the World Class corps have contracted full corps by then.  In fact, most corps will probably have contracted full rosters by the first of the year.  If I was a prospective member, particularly an ageout, I just wouldn't take the chance.

Contrary to urban myth here on dcp, most members are NOT wealthy and in fact scrimp to find every penny to march.  Yikes!

Given how few corps had a full roster last year and how many SCV kids last year went elsewhere that opportunities will exist if the kids are willing

• Like 1