19 Sep SCV Meeting Summary on Reddit

1 hour ago, Richard Lesher said:

BD and Mandarins are compliant. They have to submit the same forms to the same offices for registration. In fact, Mandarins are listed as up to date through FY22 (which is very up to date given that these registrations are more than a year behind, basically, at year end of FY they nearly have an entire following year to get the audits done and then file with the state and IRS)

There was a post on reddit where someone dug into the staffing levels & annual budget requests for the DOJ/Registry of Trusts.  Sounded like there was one group of staff that processed new registrations & renewals, and a separate group of staff that handled delinquent accounts.  The projected processing time for a renewal was something like 8 minutes, where the processing time for delinquent accounts was hours.  They also listed that 30,000+ charities that were delinquent, which would seem to translate to a lot of work to be handled by a relatively small staff.  Granted, not all of those charities going to be submitting paperwork at the same time.  If even a fraction of them did, it would seem like a backlog could quickly develop.

2 hours ago, fighterkit said:

A few corps could learn humility. 

The amount of kids I talked to over the years that only marched x in the top 3 telling me “I could never march *insert non finalist corps*. They don’t get enough applause or fans in the stands.”

🙄

Years back asked on DCP why people who get cut from their “dream corps” didn’t try for other corps. Lot of responses were “only can do it for one year so not worth it” or “for the amount of money not worth it”.

Did they just now begin trying to correct this delinquency once they had been called out? Or have they been trying this whole time, since 2019/2020, to get them completed and filed?

Either way, sorry, the backlog still doesn't answer some pretty serious questions. Glad they're back on track, genuinely, but this team does not instill confidence in me for a number of reasons... the late audits are only a part of it.

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Years back asked on DCP why people who get cut from their “dream corps” didn’t try for other corps. Lot of responses were “only can do it for one year so not worth it” or “for the amount of money not worth it”.

I have heard this countless times throughout the years after talking to kids about auditioning. So many kids go to x, get cut, and then get reached out to by a nonfinalist, or even 7-12 corps and decide its not worth their time. 

My year at The Academy formed me into the person I needed to be to make Boston. Without that season I would have never made the corps. 

The biggest thing lots of us here know, that those auditioning fail to realize is that the only way to practice for drum corps is by doing drum corps. 

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Did they just now begin trying to correct this delinquency once they had been called out? Or have they been trying this whole time, since 2019/2020, to get them completed and filed?

Either way, sorry, the backlog still doesn't answer some pretty serious questions. Glad they're back on track, genuinely, but this team does not instill confidence in me for a number of reasons... the late audits are only a part of it.

Great question!  Still a complete failure by someone... 🧐 

32 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That could be true, and I recall these threads in years past. But if I remember correctly, there were quite a few comments that many of these same folks would not have made the cut of their non-dream corps. Now this would have been back in the days when some of our more colorful “call ‘’em as I see ‘em” members were in their glory.

I do remember a thread years back where a young person who marched with a corps they loved that had a good reputation for being close knit, I think it was The Academy though it may have been Jersey Surf, asked for opinions about marching with a corps expected to make finals for their age out year. This young man or woman got clobbered. I don’t recall responding, but I probably thought “march the final year with the corps you love rather than audition elsewhere.” Today with the expense of marching, add inflation and some young people trying to cut expenses to avoid future student loan debt, not marching if you don’t make your dream corps makes sense. 

To get back to Santa Clara, there could be some potential members who want to audition not because of the glorious past or the potential staff of the corps, but the desire to be part of the corps in its rebuilding stage. For a graduate with a music education degree, being part of a rebuilding effort could be a plus on a résumé. As people who have applied for teaching positions can tell you, how you spent your summers in your younger years can be a huge plus in getting hired.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tim K said:

To get back to Santa Clara, there could be some potential members who want to audition not because of the glorious past or the potential staff of the corps, but the desire to be part of the corps in its rebuilding stage. For a graduate with a music education degree, being part of a rebuilding effort could be a plus on a résumé. As people who have applied for teaching positions can tell you, how you spent your summers in your younger years can be a huge plus in getting hired.

Especially if you have spent your summers other than marching teaching HS band as well. 

I just got passed over for a vis job at a corps because I did not have enough years teaching under my belt. 

Things need to be verified. 

That's where we are at. 

If they have submitted everything to get current then right now, in hand, they have all the latest up to date Audited Financial Statements they gave California for said registrations. 2019, 2020, and 2021. 

So make audited statements available along with the CPA summary findings. I mean they made their draft FY21 990 available:

https://www.scvanguard.org/policies-and-financials/

(The very thing I am hanging a lot of my analysis on) 

Instead, the are simply making everyone they want trust from wait it out until everything is available through regulators and the IRS. As such, that is when they become compliant, and not a day sooner. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

Things need to be verified. 

That's where we are at. 

If they have submitted everything to get current then right now, in hand, they have all the latest up to date Audited Financial Statements they gave California for said registrations. 2019, 2020, and 2021. 

So make audited statements available along with the CPA summary findings. I mean they made their draft FY21 990 available:

https://www.scvanguard.org/policies-and-financials/

(The very thing I am hanging a lot of my analysis on) 

Instead, the are simply making everyone they want trust from wait it out until everything is available through regulators and the IRS. As such, that is when they become compliant, and not a day sooner. 

I just hope that a bunch of kids who trusted them aren’t heartbroken because it all falls apart in April. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, fighterkit said:

I have heard this countless times throughout the years after talking to kids about auditioning. So many kids go to x, get cut, and then get reached out to by a nonfinalist, or even 7-12 corps and decide its not worth their time. 

My year at The Academy formed me into the person I needed to be to make Boston. Without that season I would have never made the corps. 

The biggest thing lots of us here know, that those auditioning fail to realize is that the only way to practice for drum corps is by doing drum corps. 

The talent levels at The Academy in 2018 were impressive and the show had a lot of demand, is what I recall. I cannot imagine how good one has to be to make a finalist corps, so props to you for your work and dedication. 

• Like 2