RIP Robert W. Smith

Bob984

I was lucky enough to work with Robert a few years ago. As has been stated here, he was brilliant. He could speak intelligently on any musical subject. His Suncoast work alone could define a career. As a high school band director, I programmed many, many of his pieces and my students always benefited. He had great creativity and a thorough understanding of what it takes to make a band sound good and provide a great educational experience for students. His contributions to drum corps and public school education can't be overestimated.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

Outside of drum corps I don’t think he gets the respect he should. RIP

Jeff, Believe me he was very highly respected in the concert band community.  There are thousands of school band students and adult bands who are mourning his passing.

He certainly had a big impact within drum corps, but his work in music education (schools and universities) had an impact all across the nation...and beyond.

• Like 2

I met his admin asst/secretary many years ago at DCI finals in the food court at the Circle Centre mall.

She said he was a great boss.