Southwind ceasing operations

Just getting too expansive.

Our association with Southwind has always been positive. I'm sorry to see this. 

https://southwind.org/news/southwind-to-cease-operations?fbclid=IwAR1tK57DWE0UMoFhVHrTM5iyVXWB4vmalZGQrqzDXbLoprhHJhR_r3WM70g_aem_AW4HQ1kRK9Oo4QAmwvewv22QxPMfJzUgGtg8waL9A6UpgqjMaQDmVwEuo5LjcJpiKCk&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Edited by CrownBariDad
More info
  • Sad 1

Open class receives zero payment for open class shows. They basically are allowed to exist under the dci umbrella. 

what they do receive from OC shows is next to nothing. 

dear fans, find your local OC corps, and donate.  Or better yet.

Help them plan a 5K fundraiser. Help them plan a beer garden fundraiser at their homeshow.  But seriously. Help. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

What a shame.  My son marched three seasons with Kentucky SW.   I really enjoyed their show this past season. 

• Like 1

sad. i wondered how expensive being in the Northeast for so long would be

To quote Critical Role, "Help, it's again"

I am so sorry to see this. I really enjoyed their show last year and was looking forward to seeing them next year. I ordered a T-Shirt from them today. I hope I get it just to remember them. 

• Like 1

We had such an opportunity with the 2020 season cancellation to re-write the way we do things as an activity... from the way we perform to the way we protect the members AND staff, to squaring up finances and providing equity across not just World Class but Open Class as well... and yes to HOW we tour. Unfortunately, as a collective of the corps and DCI (and yes, the individual corps HAVE to shoulder a LOT of the blame here) they did absolutely sweet nothing at all. What a wasted opportunity.

Edited by Cainan
edited for clarity and readability
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry to see them go. We had a healthy rivalry with them during my time in DCI, and it had felt back in the Before Times of 2017-19 that between Southwind, Louisiana Stars, Heatwave and Guardians a new southern presence was slowly building.  

Mike

Sorry to hear of this......Southwind went through many battles over a long period, and I was hoping that they would eventually flourish.  I took a look at their 2000 show, where they finished in 13th, two tenths behind Bluecoats, and yet all 9 judges had them 12th or above, and 6 of 9 had them over the Bluecoats.....not to take anything away from Bluecoats (who had been 13th the year before), but I felt Southwind was stronger.  It would have been interesting to see what the future of Southwind would have been if they had made finals.  Also, after that re-entry into finals in  2000, Bluecoats never finished lower than 8th from 2001 until today...........

• Like 1

After last year’s show, I thought we’d see Southwind move closer to Gold and Spartans in 2024. It saddened me to see a Facebook post which I was sure would be an announcement about auditions to have such somber news. For me, what makes this different, and I would add sadder, is the finality. There’s no talk of hiatus or reorganization. I am sure they are being realistic and where they were inactive for a while understand the challenges of returning to the field, but it is too bad.

• Like 1