Cadets Suspend for 2024

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That is another looming, growing issue - nearly no one wants to run a corps.  Cadets now must search for one of those few such people.

and they may need to look outside of the extended maroon and gold family. and in that family, everything is always about being a Cadet

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

Well, those corps would start in their host region where they're going to perform with their cohorts.

which still leads to considerable travel in some cases. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TenHut said:

Most people who are qualified to run a drum corps would take a significant pay cut to do so.

Not even running a drum corps, but I applied for an Operations position with Bluecoats back in 2021. They were offering max salary of $60,000/year, which was the exact same salary I was making at the time in my Managed Services Provider (IT) job. The corps eventually rolled the position I applied for into another position currently held by a part time member of the org and promoted them to full time.

I now make $78,000/year, so I wouldn't even consider that position now, especially now that health insurance comes through my employer and my wife has had to deal with significant health issues.

• Like 5

I truly believe a good Sr. Project Manager, or a Program Manager with budget experience, could run a corps. Hire a business analyst and bring in department heads to run the business side. Especially someone with a PMP, some good PgM's run projects with budgets of millions of dollars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

I truly believe a good Sr. Project Manager, or a Program Manager with budget experience, could run a corps. Hire a business analyst and bring in department heads to run the business side. Especially someone with a PMP, some good PgM's run projects with budgets of millions of dollars. 

I believe Dan Acheson was a project manager before he was employed in drum corps.  Jim was a project manager earlier in his career.  He was asked about a decade ago to relocate to California to be a program manager.  Nooooo was the answer. 😂   

Edited by Terri Schehr

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I believe Dan Acheson was a project manager before he was employed in drum corps.  Jim was a project manager earlier in his career.  He was asked about a decade ago to relocate to California to be a program manager.  Nooooo was the answer. 😂   

No one is moving to Cali. 

Edited by TenHut
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Not even running a drum corps, but I applied for an Operations position with Bluecoats back in 2021. They were offering max salary of $60,000/year, which was the exact same salary I was making at the time in my Managed Services Provider (IT) job. The corps eventually rolled the position I applied for into another position currently held by a part time member of the org and promoted them to full time.

I now make $78,000/year, so I wouldn't even consider that position now, especially now that health insurance comes through my employer and my wife has had to deal with significant health issues.

You’re better off where you’re at now. Not only does drum corps not pay well - for the few paying positions they have - I’d be concerned about job security as the longevity of the activity - and many corps - seems to be an ongoing thing. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

You’re better off where you’re at now. Not only does drum corps not pay well - for the few paying positions they have - I’d be concerned about job security as the longevity of the activity - and many corps - seems to be an ongoing thing. 

There are a limited number of individuals who are the right fit for the job, but there are also a limited number of jobs out there due to limited number of Corps. 

As a retired military officer, if (IF) I didn’t have major mobility issues, I would seriously think about applying for job w/ Corps.  I have experience with planning, budgeting, have no problem making decisions, & understand logistics.  I have military retirement (inc health care) so $ isn’t really an issue.  I would need to be brought up-to-speed on nonprofit rules and theory, but would be willing to learn. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Never a good idea or strategy to join an industry or company with 40 plus years of negative growth.

• Like 1

I am devastated to hear this news.   As a long time Cadets supporter, I do appreciate the fact that they are taking the responsible, albeit difficult, decision to suspend for a year.   I think that is a good sign for an organization that wants to achieve long-term fiscal sustainability.   

Remember, the Troopers took years off in the past and look where they are now.   

This is not the end for the Cadets!  

• Like 1