A Great Article on The Cadets

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I always wonder how many times a prop like that is taken apart and reassembled. That includes practice as well as shows. Metal fatigue and wear on nuts and bolts has to take a toll by end of the season. (Yeah dad was a mechanic)

Twice a day on show days I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I always wonder how many times a prop like that is taken apart and reassembled. That includes practice as well as shows. Metal fatigue and wear on nuts and bolts has to take a toll by end of the season. (Yeah dad was a mechanic)

I think it was made of wood. It had a “hey kids, let’s put on a show” quality to it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I like that you are defending them a little here and I have no problem with that. I had a number of students who marched Cadets and all of them loved it. In regard to the food don't take the comments too personally. I think most folks on here know that food issues were very common with lots of corps back in the 70s and 80s, even into the 90s and 2000s in the DCI era.

The students I know who marched primarily in the 90s and early 2000s always felt the corps ate well. There were other things they liked and some things they did not. They were all still glad they marched with a legendary corps. But just know that some of the things discussed here (food, finances, other issues) do not just relate to the Cadets. Everyone here knows that. There are lots of good people here who understand the difficulties many corps had in trying to run their operations and get down the road in the summer. This just happens to be a Cadets thread and with the corps going through legal issues at a time when their existence is in question I think it is fair that these things are discussed. 

Cadets having been my 3rd corps to march with in the late 90's had exceptional food! Other corps were extremely jealous of how well we were fed!

5 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I've posted on this topic before.

I'm an engineer and ,when it comes to props ,some of the things I've seen in DCI, scares  the crap out of me.

1. Just for the sake of liability ,I would think that a prop's design should be certified by a Licensed Professional Engineer, Architect etc.

2.Again, if for no other reason then liability, I would think a corps would have one or more "qualified" individuals  inspecting each time a prop is assembled and/or  dismantled.

3.There should also be a signed  maintenance log kept for each prop ,each time  it is assembled/disassembled  documenting its condition ,including any damage and repairs with dates and specifics as to that repair.

Maybe this comes off as "over kill" till someone gets hurt.

As an engineer, how much would you charge to put a Professional Engineer Seal of Approval on a prop?   

7 hours ago, contraguard05 said:

By play Malaguena, I mean plug your ears and cover your eyes to how much the activity has changed since that was a recipe for success.

Yeah, no one is doing that either. You’re just repeating old tropes. Everyone is well aware that it isn’t 1976 anymore. Or 1988. Or 1999.  The fact is, times have changed, Madison is not playing Malagueña, and their team has failed to find that recipie for success. And no one is saying the recipie for success is to play Stars and Stripes Forever.   The criticism is of the leadership team failing over multiple years, to even crack the top twelve.   I suspect you know this but want to place the blame on old alumni for some reason. 

Edited by HockeyDad

15 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

As an engineer, how much would you charge to put a Professional Engineer Seal of Approval on a prop?   

I'm a Civil not a  Structural Engineer or mechanical engineer.

So I don't know exactly.

A lot would depend on who designed the prop.

There's also no guarantee that, if an engineer reviews a design he'll be able to "sign off " on it.

Best approach would be to have an engineer do the design in the first place.

I would think that, if a corps works with a professional company that makes props, they would have people  "in house"  to handle/certify the design.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, contraguard05 said:

By play Malaguena, I mean plug your ears and cover your eyes to how much the activity has changed since that was a recipe for success.

You know what is no longer a recipe for success?  Permanent corps management with rubber-stamp BODs keeping them in place.  That strategy has not aged well for Cadets, Capital Regiment, or Pioneer.  Even the indestructible Santa Clara Vanguard has been wounded just for leaning in that direction. 

The board of directors should provide oversight, not allow individuals employed by the corps to entrench themselves more inextricably than Malaguena in the Madison Scouts repertoire.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Yeah, no one is doing that either. You’re just repeating old tropes. Everyone is well aware that it isn’t 1976 anymore. Or 1988. Or 1999.  The fact is, times have changed, Madison is not playing Malagueña, and their team has failed to find that recipie for success. And no one is saying the recipie for success is to play Stars and Stripes Forever.   The criticism is of the leadership team failing over multiple years, to even crack the top twelve.   I suspect you know this but want to place the blame on old alumni for some reason. 

I agree with you. I don't think he meant it in a harmful way. More of a "let's go back to the old ways" which is a type of discussion that many drum corps fans have had. I will say this...at least Madison Scouts still have a corps. I do not know anything about their organization so I will not comment on the politics or finances or the artistic direction of the corps. All I know is I love the corps. Always have, and I would hate to see them fold. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

actually many alumni loudly pine for Latin jazz shows as the way to succeed.  then they continually point out (insert Malagaguena year here) as one to repeat

• Like 1