Source music you discovered from DCI shows

the list is so huge i can't even begin to think of it all

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BigW said:

Music by Herrmann, Ginastera, DeFalla, Piazzola come to my mind quickly.

Last week, The Man Who Knew Too Much was on TCM I think. There’s a scene where they’re driving past a marquee that says something like London Philharmonic with guest conductor Bernard Herrmann. And then, they show the symphony and there he is conducting!  That plus the music to the movie was by Herrmann. I explained to my wife and got about the same reaction as I get when I offer to take her to a drum corps show….🙄

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Last week, The Man Who Knew Too Much was on TCM I think. There’s a scene where they’re driving past a marquee that says something like London Philharmonic with guest conductor Bernard Herrmann. And then, they show the symphony and there he is conducting!  That plus the music to the movie was by Herrmann. I explained to my wife and got about the same reaction as I get when I offer to take her to a drum corps show….🙄

My favorite Hermann score is “Vertigo”. His favorite, believe it or not, was “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir”. The movie, not that silly tv show. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I’ve often said everything I know about classical music I learned from drum corps or Bugs Bunny cartoons. 

Most excellent. Similar about Bugs Bunny, but admittedly, before I got to SCV, I may have already been able to pinpoint various composers... and I may have had a bumper sticker on my teenager car that said "Yo quiero Pachelbel." Supporting the local classical station like a boss!

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1

gigantic list.  dci is what really got me into instrumental/classical music as a young teen.  I played in the band and enjoyed it and all, but after getting exposed to the following pieces and composers with dci, I became the kid listening to classical on my walkman/discman (yes, i'm old) while all my friends were listening to Nirvana and Kriss Kross.  

91 Star: All of the Respighi stuff.  This got me to backtrack and watch some older corps,, including Cadets 87.  Ended up going to the library and checking out cassettes of both The Pines of Rome and Appalachian Spring. Ended up wearing out the entirely of both cassettes and my love for classical was born.  

92/93 Cadets: The Holsinger stuff they used really got me into wind ensemble music for the first time, and I started to really embrace 6:30 AM rehearsals with my band and understand the stuff by John Barnes Chance, De Meij, Gillis, Nelson, etc that we were playing is really really really good.  The only way to get recordings of wind ensemble stuff back in the early 90s was my school's music library where out band director would put all of his sample CD's from publishing houses.  I "borrowed" them for a couple years.  😉

93 Star:  I had heard Adagio for Strings by Barber, but this opened me to all of his other stuff.  Same with Bartok.  

The fall of 93 is when I started playing for the first time in our local regional symphony and the first pieces I performed at a concert were Mahler 1 and we had a guest soloist do Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor, so that was more.

dci truly was really the catalyst for all of it for me though.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lance said:

gigantic list.  dci is what really got me into instrumental/classical music as a young teen.  I played in the band and enjoyed it and all, but after getting exposed to the following pieces and composers with dci, I became the kid listening to classical on my walkman/discman (yes, i'm old) while all my friends were listening to Nirvana and Kriss Kross.  

91 Star: All of the Respighi stuff.  This got me to backtrack and watch some older corps,, including Cadets 87.  Ended up going to the library and checking out cassettes of both The Pines of Rome and Appalachian Spring. Ended up wearing out the entirely of both cassettes and my love for classical was born.  

92/93 Cadets: The Holsinger stuff they used really got me into wind ensemble music for the first time, and I started to really embrace 6:30 AM rehearsals with my band and understand the stuff by John Barnes Chance, De Meij, Gillis, Nelson, etc that we were playing is really really really good.  The only way to get recordings of wind ensemble stuff back in the early 90s was my school's music library where out band director would put all of his sample CD's from publishing houses.  I "borrowed" them for a couple years.  😉

93 Star:  I had heard Adagio for Strings by Barber, but this opened me to all of his other stuff.  Same with Bartok.  

The fall of 93 is when I started playing for the first time in our local regional symphony and the first pieces I performed at a concert were Mahler 1 and we had a guest soloist do Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor, so that was more.

dci truly was really the catalyst for all of it for me though.   

My middle school concert band played The Pines of the Appian Way so I was slightly familiar with the Pines of Rome. 

• Like 2

And Gilligan’s Island introduced me to Carmen! 

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And Gilligan’s Island introduced me to Carmen! 

I have a coworker who's going to see an touring version of Carmen.  He was looking up source music - it took all of my control not to fire up Santa Clara's show.  -mike

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 9:51 AM, scheherazadesghost said:

Most excellent. Similar about Bugs Bunny, but admittedly, before I got to SCV, I may have already been able to pinpoint various composers... and I may have had a bumper sticker on my teenager car that said "Yo quiero Pachelbel." Supporting the local classical station like a boss!

I wished I had seen that bumper sticker back then,  that is hilarious

• Thanks 1