Cadets and bankruptcy

29 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The problem is not with those who wouldn't come forward or any supposedly unfounded rumors, it's with the institution that allows, enables, or encourages retaliation against anyone who does. The reddit thread points to that happening throughout the org's history.

Finally someone else is putting this to words. Triumph over odds that never should have been levied against young people.

i dont condone the institution allowing it and never said that. please dont speak for me

8 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I will definitely take your word for it. You were closer to what went on, or at least had better insight. I guess I was never impressed with YEA. I knew GH had burned bridge after bridge...but you are correct that the USSBA (and eventually USBands) was a money maker. 

oh YEA was a #### show. read glass door and thousands of other posts. but the band circuit brought in enough to keep things floating along, even if barely

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont condone the institution allowing it and never said that. please dont speak for me

Yeesh. That statement wasn't about you and neither is this whole situation. It was a clarifying statement regarding what you said. You call call it scorched earth if you like, but it's completely aligned with the clarity provided by international safe sport research, and research regarding institutional whistleblowing/retaliation.

Perhaps don't take what I say so personally when I'm not explicitly implicating you. I get that tensions and emotions are high here, but those that are most-immediately important are those of victims. Especially those that are publicly known, taking additional hits of retraumatization and victim blaming on DCP and other socials. If you are an unnamed victim in this, I truly lament that, especially if you are taking fire behind the scenes. That's still not the same as taking public fire though.

That said, it's clear countless elders in this activity have not known, or done appropriate professional development, to neutrally support reporters of abuse and whistleblowers. Too many clearly still don't, to the detriment of Cadets alum and members/staff/alum of other corps. Again, I'm intentionally referring to the activity as a whole here. There are countless other examples that have nothing to do with you that I'm referring to here, of which I'm assuming you're aware to some degree.

10 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I don’t like the way this is written. The press release makes it sound like the Cadets are the victims. 

Sad. 

I mean at this point for them what does it matter really? They are bitter and sour and taking their ball and going home and at this point really don't care one way or the other who they offend. Its done and over for them and they are not coming back from it. 

One would think they would consider the victims in this and consider the future they have professionally moving forward with other organizations but in the moment that does not always translate when you are so passionate about what you have spent years pouring your life into to. Perhaps that was not the intent but it is what it is I suppose. 

• Like 1

The Cadets(RIP) will ultimately be the organization associated with what goes wrong when sexual abuse/perversion etc. goes unreported and normalized..I can only imagine how lucky some feel today that they've escaped detection in other corps where this behavior was also existent..God bless the child..PEACE

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What insurance from the time of the incident would cover harassment or abuse claims? Not an insurance expert but if they have policy from a different company…..🤷🏻

If the company offers it, it is usually a “buyback” coverage under a separate Abuse or Molestation form and can carry a separate sub-limit from the underlying General Liability limits. I have seen A&M forms where coverage for defense is *inside* the limit, which drastically reduces the amount available in the event of a judgement. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder how hard the legal expenses will hit DCIs budget. And if anything will be said publicly. 

TBD on the first; No on the second (unless the hit on the first is so big that it impacts season).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

TBD on the first; No on the second (unless the hit on the first is so big that it impacts season).  

Definitely on the first, the meter is still running on the expenses. 

1 hour ago, jimwolf359 said:

Is there any indication that DCI will make a statement about this or will they just ignore what happened to one of their Founding Member Corps?

I'm guessing the latter. 

FHNSAB

Cadets' membership was revoked earlier this year. That was the statement.  What more could anyone at the DCI level add to what was all but a foregone conclusion 6 months ago.

Edited by Slingerland