my favorite Cadets shows

13 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I LOVED the first 2/3 of the 1986 show. On The Waterfront was driving and intense. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish with the closer though. 

Per the dci.org writeup for their "Spotlight of the Week" feature for this show:

"Originally, word among drum corps fans was the rest of the show was going to be Bernstein's "Prelude, Fugue and Riffs." However, that piece was put on hold until the corps' 1991 show and was replaced with "Christopher Street" from Bernstein's score to the musical, "Wonderful Town," the 1953 Broadway production that won five Tony Awards."

It was a definite pivot from the first 2/3...

I've been too sad to really consider reflecting on shows and music that I have loved over the years from Garfield. We all knew this was going to happen.

I'm going to echo what some others have said: the 2021 exhibition year show stands out to me. Not because it was the best show Garfield/The Cadets ever performed. Far from it. But it was that last reminder of what it felt like to watch the Maroon & Gold take the field. Those traditional uniforms. The fact that they gave us some of those goosebump moments from past shows and they sounded pretty good doing it. Watching the crowd in Indianapolis just absolutely go freakin' nuts at the company front in the Land Race (From Far & Away) was not only amazing to see but in some ways felt like the crowd knew instinctually that we may not see this anymore. Even though the corps managed to compete in 2022 and 2023 I think many knew it was going to be difficult for The Cadets to move forward. 

That company front is perhaps the last truly magical Cadets moment we will ever experience. The 2022 and 2023 shows were excellent, but the sight of the traditional uniforms and the pomp & circumstance of that company front with the heroic music of John Williams basically summed up what I used to love about this corps. I believe that singular memory may be imprinted in the minds and hearts of many as we grieve the loss of an iconic, historic, and great American drum & bugle corps. 

I continue to feel for all the good people who marched, volunteered, and taught with Garfield. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My top 3 are

3. 1996. American West....pure Cadets Americana.

2. 2001. Juxaperformance...Amazing horn line and my favorite show in 2001.

1. 1995. An American Quintet. Perhaps one of the best ending to a show...wonderful and entertain show.

• Like 2

1985 (doesnt get enough love, its a top 10 all time of any corps)

1987 first time I saw dci live, in person

2011 -- That drill after the ballad was a masterpiece

• Like 3

On 4/3/2024 at 1:27 PM, Kopeck said:

Love me some Rocky Point Holiday and West Side Story was one of the best shows I have ever seen.

on a hot Sunday afternoon at Cedar Cliff HS in July 83, the Cadets changed everything i thought i knew about drum corps. a lot of the crowd were stunned, not fully understanding what they were seeing, but knowing it was good. i saw it as the way things were going to go.

a year later, same stadium, WSS. it cemented everything i thought the year before. after the year, getting the VHS of 82, i saw where it all started. and 87 was the icing on the cake.

if 89 had had the same ending for at least half the year, man they could have done damage

• Like 5

On 4/3/2024 at 2:01 PM, Tim K said:

My sentimental favorite is 1980. I loved that show and it was fun. I also saw it early on and would never have predicted Garfield would have made finals that year. 

Runner up sentimental favorite 2021 “Shall Always Be.”

1984 “West Side Story” is one of my favorite shows of all time.

2013 “Side by Side” was well done.

2022 “12.25” gave us a bit of Christmas in July.

i was at the show where Boston beat them for the last time until 2017

4 hours ago, gak27 said:

Per the dci.org writeup for their "Spotlight of the Week" feature for this show:

"Originally, word among drum corps fans was the rest of the show was going to be Bernstein's "Prelude, Fugue and Riffs." However, that piece was put on hold until the corps' 1991 show and was replaced with "Christopher Street" from Bernstein's score to the musical, "Wonderful Town," the 1953 Broadway production that won five Tony Awards."

It was a definite pivot from the first 2/3...

1991 needs more love for the bookends. not so much the 10 minute ballad

5 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

As the cold front has moved through the South, I'm wearing my old maroon Cadets hoodie today. ♥️

Love it. I'll be wearing Cadets gear all summer, except on show days.  I'm a Crown dad now so gotta support the kid.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DAYGO said:

Love it. I'll be wearing Cadets gear all summer, except on show days.  I'm a Crown dad now so gotta support the kid.  

Good luck to Carolina Crown this year. Love them just about every year and I am sure I will love this year's show. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1