Spirit of Atlanta

Or like Blue Devils doing Sweeney Todd again, or SCV doing Scheherazade, or PR doing American in Paris (or Organ Symphony, or Swan Lake), or Cadets doing Appalachian Spring.

Yes, but the BIG difference here is that SOA is not currently, nor have they been for a long time, the caliber of corps as SCV, BD, Cadets, or PR. They don't have the staff nor member talent yet to rehash. And, we are talking about a rehash that far outnumbers the examples you gave:

BD, Sweeney Todd, 2 Times: 2008, 2015 7 years apart

SCV, Scheherazade, 2 Times: 2004, 2014 a decade between

PR, American in Paris, 4 Times: 1975, 1976, 2005, 2015 two years in a row when such was common, then nearly 30 years later, then a decade

Cadets, Appalachian Spring, 2 Times: 1987, 2008 21 years apart

SOA, Sweet Georgia Brown, 6 Times: 1979, 1980, 1986, 1998, 2013, 2016 Just three years ago, and it was short, cool, and fit the show

SOA, Georgia on my Mind, 6 Times: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1995, 1997, 2016 The largest delayed repeat

The show isn't a good choice. Not now. Maybe not ever.

• Like 1

Yes, but the BIG difference here is that SOA is not currently, nor have they been for a long time, the caliber of corps as SCV, BD, Cadets, or PR. They don't have the staff nor member talent yet to rehash. And, we are talking about a rehash that far outnumbers the examples you gave:

PR, American in Paris, 4 Times: 1975, 1976, 2005, 2015 two years in a row when such was common, then nearly 30 years later, then a decade

SOA, Sweet Georgia Brown, 6 Times: 1979, 1980, 1986, 1998, 2013, 2016 Just three years ago, and it was short, cool, and fit the show

SOA, Georgia on my Mind, 6 Times: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1995, 1997, 2016 The largest delayed repeat

Exactly.

I chose not to dig deeper and mention the ultimate rehash of all drum corps history (Conquest), or others by Madison, Troopers, etc.

But why would it be okay for some to rehash past charts, and not others? If anything, it is more frustrating to see one of the very top corps, to whom we ascribe the mantle of creative leadership and innovation, resort to reruns.

Yes, I understand that some of us would prefer to see fresh and new choices. I am one such person. What I will never understand, though, is the finality with which some judge an entire show they have not seen or heard yet, based solely on verbal reports (and mostly on song titles).

• Like 1

In 2013, Troopers followed up an 18th-place finish with "Magnificent 7," Battle Hymn, the sunburst. They went Full Roots Mode, and the members themselves had significant input into steering the corps in that direction. I think most people would agree: It worked -- as a show, and as a strategic decision.

The point: It can be done. It's not the music; it's what you do with the music. If the members are all-in, and the staff is all-in, and the design works, we fans may all be happily whistling Dixie after each SOA show.

• Like 3

I chose not to dig deeper and mention the ultimate rehash of all drum corps history (Conquest), or others by Madison, Troopers, etc.

But why would it be okay for some to rehash past charts, and not others? If anything, it is more frustrating to see one of the very top corps, to whom we ascribe the mantle of creative leadership and innovation, resort to reruns.

Thats probably because.. lets face it... the Cadets, BD's, etc can play anything they want and place in the upper echelon of DCI. 'Don't matter if its a rehash, a redo, something borrowed, something new, or Jingle Bells or a Dionne Warwick pop tune from the 60's, etc. These perennial upper echelon DCI Corps can play ANYTHING they choose, and so long as they have a killer Guard, and a 1st rate Visual Show Design & MM talent, its ALL good. Most everybody knows it too, if they are simply honest with themselves.

Edited by BRASSO

Thats probably because.. lets face it... the Cadets, BD's, etc can play anything they want and place in the upper echelon of DCI. 'Don't matter if its a rehash, a redo, something borrowed, something new, or Jingle Bells or a Dionne Warwick pop tune from the 60's, etc. These perennial upper echelon DCI Corps can play ANYTHING they choose, and so long as they have a killer Guard, and a 1st rate Visual Show Design & MM talent, its ALL good. Most everybody knows it too, if they are simply honest with themselves.

But thats only because of their quality imo

im just talking about musical rehash or selections, not guard or percussion, drill or costuming, just music. Of course you are right about the other. It certainly is up front.

Edited by GUARDLING

Using music that's been used before does not necessarily imply a re-hash of a program. Especially when the music is orchestral in nature.

OTOH some musical choices have such a strong identity with an audience that it's really challenging to *avoid* a re-hash.

I don't think Spirit is doomed to a re-hash but it will take some amazing creativity to present a fresh version of their musical selections. I hope we get to see it.

Criticisms of this corps aside (god knows when's the last time someone has said something good about Spirit this offseason), I had been relistening to the 2015 shows while studying for finals last week and their 2015 show has risen into my top 5 of 2015 musically. Just a really wonderful job, even if their brassline didn't sound as good as the top 5 corps.

• Like 2