Will thunderous goo become less of a problem?

Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will thunderous goo become less of a problem in the coming years?

• Yes
    • No

I really love the take-no-prisoners, foundation-setting sound of a contra line. The thunderous goo marginalizes that sound.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 3

I love low end synth when done well - see Crown 2009, Cadets 2010 (at times), SCV 2009-2010, BD 2009.

Also, many BOA bands integrate the synth fantastically - I wish more corps would pick up on this. PCEP 1999 comes to mind immediately.

Edited by Catan
  • Like 4

I don't like band. But I only speak for myself.

Would there be anything fundamentally wrong with baseball and football becoming more alike in the abstract?

Exaggerating for the sake of humor maybe? Surely no one here equates the football/baseball relationshiop with the drum corps/marching band relationship, do we?

Which begs the previous question: What's wrong in the abstract with drum corps and marching band being similar? For the sake of discussion and comparison, go back to a couple of decades say to when electronics weren't generally employed on the field but drum corps played three-valve instruments. If at that time every high school marching band marched a corps-style show (although multi-key and with woodwinds, etc.) would drum corps have to do something different to carve out a unique identity? Or would you be satisfied with the drum corps identity even though marching bands mimicked it to the best of their ability?

HH

• Like 1

I know for a fact that there is at least one staff that thinks just that. Though I can't imagine more than maybe two or three corps thinking that their electronics sounded good... yikes.

I'm curious to know who?

So who originally coined the phrase "Thunderous Goo" relative to the obnoxious use of bass doubling on the synths? :doh:

• Like 1

Exaggerating for the sake of humor maybe? Surely no one here equates the football/baseball relationshiop with the drum corps/marching band relationship, do we?

Which begs the previous question: What's wrong in the abstract with drum corps and marching band being similar? For the sake of discussion and comparison, go back to a couple of decades say to when electronics weren't generally employed on the field but drum corps played three-valve instruments. If at that time every high school marching band marched a corps-style show (although multi-key and with woodwinds, etc.) would drum corps have to do something different to carve out a unique identity? Or would you be satisfied with the drum corps identity even though marching bands mimicked it to the best of their ability?

HH

the difference was still the sound. 2 decades ago, corps were using G. Bands were still using woodwinds.

Comparative fan bases between drum corps and marching band are hugely different, also. With marching band, the percentage of "fans" being parents is much larger than the percentage for drum corps. A lot of drum corps fans are just that...drum corps fans.

I don't like marching band shows. You could bring the top 10 high school bands to my neighbors back yard for a show and I probably wouldn't show up, yet I'll pay 25 dollars for a ticket up to 100 miles away to watch 4 world class and 2 open class corps...

I'm not alone in this feeling...

• Like 1

the difference was still the sound. 2 decades ago, corps were using G. Bands were still using woodwinds.

Comparative fan bases between drum corps and marching band are hugely different, also. With marching band, the percentage of "fans" being parents is much larger than the percentage for drum corps. A lot of drum corps fans are just that...drum corps fans.

I don't like marching band shows. You could bring the top 10 high school bands to my neighbors back yard for a show and I probably wouldn't show up, yet I'll pay 25 dollars for a ticket up to 100 miles away to watch 4 world class and 2 open class corps...

I'm not alone in this feeling...

I know you're not. We might even agree. I'm trying to understand this.

You said "the difference was still the sound." If I'm understanding, then sound still would differentiate drum corps from marching band. The all-brass sound of drum corps is distinctive enough to separate it from marching band even when marching band emulates everything else about drum corps.

HH

I am not ashamed to say yes, I hold that opinion. The reason I hold that opinion is that I think that drumcorps at its best is a purely acoustic medium, and that synth detracts from corps great acoustic nature. So no, I do not believe that it is possible that I would ever enjoy a synthesizer or electronic sound or amplification of any kind in drumcorps. I haven't yet, and I don't think that I ever will. Apparently most people disagree with me, but I am not ashamed to say that I still hold that opinion anyways.

I am in complete agreement.