OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

What impressed me about crown this year was that they had one of the the most traditional shows this year. No major props. Just two huge fabrics. And they were still able to compete in GE among the top corps. BD's use of white props is getting old. Every year their show sounds and looks similar. Nothing refreshingly new. I think Bluecoats found their identity and so did Blue Knights and Carolina Crown. They know what works best for them. hmm...im curious how many years bd has been using white props...

• Like 4

A powerhouse organization like BD has to have staff replacements already in place being mentored and groomed by the current BD staff. No way BD is going to wait till the current staff leaves and then starts replacing. I would be shocked if SCOJO isn't training his replacement, same with TJ Doucette, etc.....

Hasn't this been going on for like 30 years, too? They've got it down better than anyone else.

I posted this in the Crown thread, but it applies here too...

I absolutely loved Crown's show this year. One of the guys I teach with at Caballeros is a Crown vet (13-14) and we were talking today about how we were both fine with which ever corps one...we loved them being 1-2, and while we obviously were rooting for our own teams, it really could go either way.

Crown's a classy bunch of folks, and while getting popped from behind at Finals sucks (ask any Devils alum), they'll use this as a character builder and reload for next year. These two corps (along with Cadets and now Bluecoats) are pushing each other like no corps have been pushed before...and we're all winners as a result.

The irony is that we as BD alumni were prepared to gush all over Crown for a well deserved win...this was a total surprise for us. Crown and Devils are tight, and that's rubbed off on us as alumni for sure.

• Like 5

Watching those final four was emotionally draining. You could make an argument for any of the four to move up or down in sub-captions, but clearly all four tonight showed what would have been sub-caption 10's in most other years ! There were no "weaknesses," only superlatives....... and Blue Devils laid out an emotional picture and sound that deserved exactly what they received......gold.....

Here you have The Cadets with no medal, and they almost won it all !

What a year for DCI corps !

• Like 2

Hasn't this been going on for like 30 years, too? They've got it down better than anyone else.

Exactly. BD doesn't replace. They reload.

• Like 2

What impressed me about crown this year was that they had one of the the most traditional shows this year. No major props. Just two huge fabrics. And they were still able to compete in GE among the top corps. BD's use of white props is getting old. Every year their show sounds and looks similar. Nothing refreshingly new. I think Bluecoats found their identity and so did Blue Knights and Carolina Crown. They know what works best for them. hmm...im curious how many years bd has been using white props...

I'm a little confused here. You applaud Bluecoats, BK, and Crown for finding their identities. Bluecoats with interesting new music and electronics, BK with their esoteric/cerebral shows, and Crown with their powerhouse shows full of body movement and smart show design.

And yet, you criticize BD for finding their own identity. Seems a little weird to me.

• Like 6

I calculated crown's score if their percussion scored a perfect score and the rest of the caption scores remained the same. Here's what it looks like:

GE: 38.95

Visual: 28.95

Music:

Brass - 19.7

Analysis - 19.7

Percussion - 20.0*

Music Total: 29.7

Final Score: 97.6 ....and what would the final results look like?

1st - Blue Devils 97.650

2nd - Carolina Crown 97.600

It wasn't all the percussions' fault. Visual held them back too.

GE 1, Brass, Guard, Visual Analysis, Music Analysis. Those are the most interesting numbers from night to night. The rest seemed at least fairly comparable.

I'm a little confused here. You applaud Bluecoats, BK, and Crown for finding their identities. Bluecoats with interesting new music and electronics, BK with their esoteric/cerebral shows, and Crown with their powerhouse shows full of body movement and smart show design.

And yet, you criticize BD for finding their own identity. Seems a little weird to me.

Glad i am not the only he confused lol.

Ah well...there goes the last $99 I'll give DCI!

Not me, I had a blast!

Well worth every penny to see shows all over the country I would not normally get to see, including finals. And it has been very well established that the DCI Live! feed was NOT the problem in 99% of the glitches. There were some no doubt, but very few. The 720p vid was good, and I can tell you the Q's feed for audio was every bit as good as the DVD. With the wife out for the evening, it was BLASTING so loud at my house the neighbors were complaining! :biggrin:

Here's my advice; in the off-season, upgrade that old slow computer of yours with the crappy sound card, get some decent high-speed internet, and invest in a 4K 70" TV. Oh yeah, you'll need a 5.1 surround sound system with some large Klipsch horn-driven speakers (the secret to LOUD without distortion) and you will NOT be complaining about that $99 for DCI Live next year!

And if you can't do that, you are welcome to watch finals with me at my house next year. My treat.

You bring the 70" TV. :cool:

• Like 5

OH WAITER....one order of crow...640...row 1 seat 12

hey my friends dad was 3 seats to the right of you