OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

I calculated crown's score if their percussion scored a perfect score and the rest of the caption scores remained the same. Here's what it looks like:

GE: 38.95

Visual: 28.95

Music:

Brass - 19.7

Analysis - 19.7

Percussion - 20.0*

Music Total: 29.7

Final Score: 97.6 ....and what would the final results look like?

1st - Blue Devils 97.650

2nd - Carolina Crown 97.600

It wasn't all the percussions' fault. Visual held them back too.

• Like 5

Posted Today, 11:22 PM

Zeke, on 08 Aug 2015 - 11:20 PM, said:snapback.png

No way was Crown's CG robbed.

BD's guard is INCREDIBLE, and absolutely deserving of the honor. Crown's guard has been my favorite all year, but the two CG's have been within 1/10 of a point of each other all season. It really could have gone either way, and tonight BD's guard was on top.

BD does have a great guard but their run tonight was dirty and should not have been on top. Crown's guard tonight was spot on as it has been most all season. Judges need to score the run not the reputation (ahem Czapinski).

Don't Show hate to these wonderful kids. They lived, learned and put it out there for us as a gift. some gifts are better than others. Don't ruin the love in which these gifts were given. It is their heart and sole they gave gave us and I am so thankful for then.

• Like 5

Crowns percussion staff is FINE. Give it a year.

No, I'm sure the right move is to replace your percussion staff every year if they don't place first. I can't imagine SCV will keep the Rennicks on after this fourth-place finish.

• Like 3

Don't Show hate to these wonderful kids. They lived, learned and put it out there for us as a gift. some gifts are better than others. Don't ruin the love in which these gifts were given. It is their heart and sole they gave gave us and I am so thankful for then.

Amen!

Never questioned Dartmouth's ability or their greatness at that level, however match grip to traditional and the snare line is the issue, hmmm.

Anyway, I was speaking more to youth of the staff vs Aungst. And Mapes and Co. has 4 lines they oversee vs one (Pulse, POW, Chino Hills HS and the feeder middle school). It's almost like they have a soccer style youth academy like my avatar FC Barcelona. Any top 6 corps who gets them will indirectly inherit a 4 tier youth percussion ensemble assembly line. With the same culture and approach to percussion. (Full Disclosure. John Mapes and I go way back, were friends and college classmates)

I get your point although I don't think age has anything to do with it. Hitting a snare drum is the same regardless if you are 50 or 20.

However, I do think John and Ian are phenomenal at what they do when it comes to the high level design concepts and writing as a package to that concept. I have always thought Crown's weakness for percussion has gone more to how their shows are designed and not who is doing the teaching. Tom Aungst is involved in the teaching and not the design. Percussion seems to be an afterthought in Crown's design process.

I do think its funny to hint that Tom Aungst can't teach traditional very well because Dartmouth plays matched. That like trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball.

• Like 1

Kennedy had it right tonite, imo... unfortunately, Crown's critcal flugel solo did not come out as designed and planned. and Kennedy justifiably took note of that.

I'd like you (and/or others) to expand on that, if you would.

I heard the solo on DCI Live! and frankly the solo sounded fantastic, it came through very clear on the feed. I didn't know until you guys said something that the mic didn't work. I did notice the solo was not as loud as it was on the feed from quarter's, but there were feed audio problems all night so the lack of sound quality didn't bother me that much.

My question is, was Crown penalized (not awarded the build-up score) because the judge knew there was a technical problem and he knew it should have sounded better? My contention is, if there was NEVER a mic'd solo, the un-mic'd solo still would have sounded pretty good.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I really, really don't think they will though.

My reasoning last year remains: BD has the most consistent staff in the activity, and they have now figured out the sheets so thoroughly that it may as well be science. Until such time as a staff turnover of any real consequence happens there, they will never lose again. They will always attract top players, so the performance captions aren't in doubt. Something else will have to give either through retirement or otherwise. There is zero reason to think they won't 3-peat, then 4-peat and 5-peat and I believe they will do just that.

Dunno. We are seeing three other corps each carve out a unique niche for themselves that is not only appealing to the crowds, but to the kids as well.

Crown is the only world class corps in the south that matters and they have a huge base of talent to draw from. Their reputation is now solidified and I doubt they will rarely finish out of the medals.

Bluecoats are carving out an entirely unique place for themselves and, quite honestly, are killing it in musicianship as well. I don't see them dropping off any time soon. Their best days are ahead of them.

Cadets are cadets. They will always be among the best in every caption and you know George won't let this fourth place finish go unanswered. I would not be surprised to see them win the gold next year with a show that rivals Angels and Demons. They always have that sort of opportunity in them.

There is no doubt the Blue Devils organization is second to none. But the entire activity has taken a huge step up across the board.

Literally posted the same right before you. Lol.

Keep fighting the good fight :)

• Like 1