2017 PREDICTIONS!

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

But you never know. In today's day and age there may be some newcomers that'll watch and say.. " I loved the choir's singing, and their voices were wonderful, but it kept being overshadowed at times by that loud brass ensemble playing in the background "..... ( haha)

I went to this choral concert and band music broke out

• Like 1

On 5/24/2017 at 2:48 PM, snare_guy_83 said:

Facts of 2016 Championship weekend:

• Bluecoats were 2nd, 3rd, and 1st in Visual Proficiency...averaged to 2nd overall
  • Bluecoats were 2nd, 2nd, and 3rd in Visual Analysis...averaged to 2nd overall
  • Bluecoats were 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd in Color Guard...averaged to 3rd overall
  • Bluecoats were 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd in Total Visual...averaged to 3rd overall
  • Bluecoats were 1st, 1st, and 1st in GE Visual...averaged to 1st overall

I HIGHLY doubt that 15 judges picked for Championship weekend overlooked "dirt" and placed them top 3 in all categories. 

If you didn't like the show or don't like innovation, fine, but just get over it. It's been 9 months. 

Well stated, and oh by the way the Bluecoats also took 2nd in Brass and 2nd in Percussion.  They were pretty good at the MUSIC thing, too.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I went to this choral concert and band music broke out

Almost sounds like a Fleetwood Mac gig.. did the concert singers & band utilize guitars ?

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Well stated, and oh by the way the Bluecoats also took 2nd in Brass and 2nd in Percussion.  They were pretty good at the MUSIC thing, too.

The Bluecoats were also 2nd in the Semi's in Guard ( 3rd at Finals ).' Can't forget that you can't win DCI these days now unless you are medaling in the Guard caption. Best brass, best Percussion won't get it done now. ( heck you can finish 6th or 7th in percussion at Championships now  and still go on to win DCI these days  ). So lets not forget the heavy influence of WGI Guards and DCI show design in getting a DCI Championship these days. Its been this way for about 6-7 years now, imo. Heck this is not the " old days " of way back in 2009, 2010 and such anymore. The Bluecoats were knocking on the door of a great Championship season for themserlves with great brass lines, percussion lines.  But Guard held them back. But they have since put together one of the top 2, 3 Guards in DCI lately, and good golly miss molly... here we are.. Champions... and under the new dynamics of the ground rules of whats being rewarded now among the very top 6 or 7 of the World Class Division Corps competitors with the newly revised judging  sheets ( ie Guards and Show Design ).... deserving Champions, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

So you're qualified to judge all captions simultaneously? I am impressed. Why doesn't DCI dump the panel and just have you out there?

I believe his child marched/marches The Cadets; it is no surprise that he would say that. I believe I recall him getting very upset when Bluecoats' Tilt show beat Cadets' Promise: An American Portrait show.

...then again, I could be wrong. He could be a 17 year old from NJ...  It's all in good fun.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Rondinaro was pretty blunt at the opening season show concerning the Bluecoats when he correctly stated "they have no weaknesses".  Holding top 3 spots and always spot 1 in the biggest category can't be dirty.  It's one of those gripes that people make when they're trying hard to sound like they know or see something with their 'keen' sense of vision.  Nobody ever says 'there was some phasing in the Mello line at the transition from the opener'... Or 'the back-up technique was inconsistent with some elevated and some rolling at similar step intervals'... Or 'there are regular discrepancies in the forward-backward hip shifts at the 50'... Or 'there are variations between members on weight distribution on direction changes'... Etc.

Until I start seeing comments like that, with video reference that demonstrates inferior technique to the competition (past and present)... I will continue to consider "they were dirty" comments to be nothing more than bias driven ignorance topped with a helping of sour grapes.

• Like 5

On 5/26/2017 at 8:31 PM, cfirwin3 said:

Rondinaro was pretty blunt at the opening season show concerning the Bluecoats when he correctly stated "they have no weaknesses".  Holding top 3 spots and always spot 1 in the biggest category can't be dirty.  It's one of those gripes that people make when they're trying hard to sound like they know or see something with their 'keen' sense of vision.  Nobody ever says 'there was some phasing in the Mello line at the transition from the opener'... Or 'the back-up technique was inconsistent with some elevated and some rolling at similar step intervals'... Or 'there are regular discrepancies in the forward-backward hip shifts at the 50'... Or 'there are variations between members on weight distribution on direction changes'... Etc.

Until I start seeing comments like that, with video reference that demonstrates inferior technique to the competition (past and present)... I will continue to consider "they were dirty" comments to be nothing more than bias driven ignorance topped with a helping of sour grapes.

Not everyone commenting or posting that a show was "dirty" is a bias driven ignoramus or chock full of sour grapes.  There are many posters with years of teaching that know what dirty is.  A statement such as yours that includes commenters as described,  is itself, ignorant.

• Like 3

On 5/26/2017 at 3:08 PM, jjeffeory said:

I believe his child marched/marches The Cadets; it is no surprise that he would say that. I believe I recall him getting very upset when Bluecoats' Tilt show beat Cadets' Promise: An American Portrait show.

...then again, I could be wrong. He could be a 17 year old from NJ...  It's all in good fun.

As a parent of a former marcher I kind of understand what it is like to feel your corps got robbed but still, in this case, come on, Bloo's show was a show to beat all shows.  How many people can slide down a slide in rhythm?  And make it look easy?  Who would even think to do that?  That show was CRAZY innovative.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, luv4corps said:

As a parent of a former marcher I kind of understand what it is like to feel your corps got robbed but still, in this case, come on, Bloo's show was a show to beat all shows.  How many people can slide down a slide in rhythm?  And make it look easy?  Who would even think to do that?  That show was CRAZY innovative.

Yes. Yes a thousand times. The stuff they did is like impossible to do well, and for the vast majority of the 12 minutes, they did it REALLY frickin well.

• Like 5