Cadets 2017

Let's get this topic back on track. What kind of show would you like to see from them next year?

I'd love to hear them do some Alfred Reed. His Symphony for Brass and Percussion hasn't been done since Crossmen 1995, a show which almost no one talks about. Hard to find a good recording but here's an idea. Would work pretty easily with a story show.

Modern American orchestral. Angry and fast stuff.

Mike

Oh wow I remember this. I can imagine some heavy mellophone runs being thrown into the mix along with a unison hornline feature.

• Like 2

Exactly. I know Cadets have kind of zigged and zagged through genres lately, but for me they've always been about celebrating (mostly) American music in all its forms. Bernstein has always been good to them because it's inherently kind of counter to Copland-esque "pretty" stuff. I'd love to see them take that ball and run with it, kind of like Vanguard did in the early 2000's.

Mike

A idea for the 2017 Cadets:

"Everest"

"Nacht/Sonnenaufgang" (from Eine Alpensinfonie) by Richard Strauss

"Transcendent Journey" by Rossano Galante (If you listen to this on YouTube, listen on 1.25 speed)

"Serenity (O Magnum Mysterium)" by Ola Gjeilo

"Volcano" (from Symphony No. 50 "Mount St. Helens") by Alan Hovhaness

"The Frozen Cathedral" by John Mackey

All pieces that have rarely or never been performed in DCI, and I believe can really flow together nicely.

• Like 8

"Everest"

"Transcendent Journey" by Rossano Galante (If you listen to this on YouTube, listen on 1.25 speed)

All pieces that have rarely or never been performed in DCI, and I believe can really flow together nicely.

Now you are being serious.

• Like 1

"Everest"

this is a *really* good show!

thanks for sharing. and YES to Hovhaness on the field. I once had to call his widow to get performance rights :-)

Modern American orchestral. Angry and fast stuff.

Mike

"Wondrous Light"

Frenergy - John Estacio

Gazebo Dances, Waltz - John Corigliano

Such Sweet Sorrow - John Estacio

Wondrous Light - John Estacio

Gazebo Dances, Tarantella - John Corigliano

Cadets or Crown + Maslanka = instant hit.

I know of a high school using one of his works this and I confirmed through a message that they went through the proper channels and were able to get the necessary rights to use it. There is a channel there and I could see Cadets using his music as well as Crown.

In particular his work Traveler would be something I would die to see on the field for thematic and musical purposes. Would be pretty stunning.