A Reprieve on A&E (Maybe?)

1 hour ago, Stu said:

The inherent problem, though, cannot be fixed in DCI because the competition of moving corps on and off the field is so faced paced.  Rock concerts do very well with amplification in stadium venues; however their sound engineers take hours prior to the concert to go through multiple sound checks in order to get the acoustical mix correct.  The problem in DCI is lack of any time 'at all' during amplification set-up to do any meaningful sound checks.  Corps are lucky to even get stuff hooked up, let alone do a brief sound check, without getting a timing penalty. Thus in DCI we end up with the goo, the shrill, the weird mix, the boomy, the feedback, ad infinitum.

Which totally justifies throttling back on the crap that is largely uncontrollable.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

The inherent problem, though, cannot be fixed in DCI because the competition of moving corps on and off the field is so faced paced.  Rock concerts do very well with amplification in stadium venues; however their sound engineers take hours prior to the concert to go through multiple sound checks in order to get the acoustical mix correct.  The problem in DCI is lack of any time 'at all' during amplification set-up to do any meaningful sound checks.  Corps are lucky to even get stuff hooked up, let alone do a brief sound check, without getting a timing penalty. Thus in DCI we end up with the goo, the shrill, the weird mix, the boomy, the feedback, ad infinitum.

i don't know if this has ever been discussed, so forgive me if it has..Can DCI  purchase a sound system that corps can use (or not) so as to establish an equal playing field for all corps..it would seem that a consistent(and reliable) electronics set up would eliminate the variables that have been discussed ad nauseum and eliminate the competitive edge that the wealthier corps have..it sounds more simplistic than it probably is but Pioneer would at least have the access to electronics as does BD...how they're used would still be the creative prerogative of the corps..just a thought!

2 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

i don't know if this has ever been discussed, so forgive me if it has..Can DCI  purchase a sound system that corps can use (or not) so as to establish an equal playing field for all corps.

If DCI were to do this would the perceived less wealthier corps make big gains in scoring?

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Here is a question for you: If GH had the Downy/Glyde/Johnson team and designs, or the Shaw/Rennick team and designs, and the Cadets were on the verge of winning another title, do you really think GH would be making these same public outcry calls for deminishing these progressive designs? I await your response.

Yes.

Frankly, Cadets have not been on the verge of winning since 2011.  And electronics are not the cause of those outcomes.  

15 minutes ago, Ghost said:

If DCI were to do this would the perceived less wealthier corps make big gains in scoring?

don't know about scoring, just the sound potential that would make the audience appreciate a more balanced palate

Just now, waliman4444 said:

don't know about scoring, just the sound potential that would make the audience appreciate a more balanced palate

Some on DCP are concerned about the higher placing corps using mic's to enhance their sound.   And many appreciate the smaller budgeted corps just the way they are.  They're working hard, giving the mm a great experience, while knowing they will be losing some to bigger corps.  The majority of fans might just want the brass lines to provide their sound without a steroid boost.  That''s an equal playing field.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

That is only part of the problem.  

A bigger issue is how the results are judged.  Our top product, according to the scores, is a corps that cranks the amps far past their distortion limit (and my pain threshold) every time they perform - this is by design, not by accident or inadequate setup time.  Meanwhile, their only apparent competitive rival takes their 12 best brass players and distorts their sounds throughout the show into something resembling what would happen if a hippopotamus and an accordion had a child.  Are these implementations considered by the judges, and deemed successful and superior to everything else in DCI?

Without either rule limitations or scoring impact for poor implementation, we will inevitably hear more distortion and less brass/percussion as time marches on.

15 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Some on DCP are concerned about the higher placing corps using mic's to enhance their sound.   .

My guess then, they are not watching the lower tier Corps performances, including Open Class Corps performances... at all.  If they did they would not make the inaccurate assessment/ observation that only the top DCI Corps are " using mics to enhance their sound ".

21 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Some on DCP are concerned about the higher placing corps using mic's to enhance their sound.   And many appreciate the smaller budgeted corps just the way they are.  They're working hard, giving the mm a great experience, while knowing they will be losing some to bigger corps.  The majority of fans might just want the brass lines to provide their sound without a steroid boost.  That''s an equal playing field.

i hear ya..just don;t think the yolks going back into the egg, because done tastefully amplification can add to a corps product

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

I don't think it would impact scoring, but it might impact the types and amounts of digital effects possible on the field. I would assume that they would still allow soloists to be mic'd, so for example the Blue Knights snare solo effects would still be possible. But the bigger corps-wide digital effects, maybe even like the pitch bend, might not.