Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

7 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Because there is no way Troy State is beating Alabama. Ever. 

Alabama and SEC fans said exactly that before the 2009 Sugar Bowl against Utah. 

Edited by Chief Guns

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

You've sufficiently made your point. Brow beating him isn't going to change his views, or yours.

Now wait a second.  I'm not as convinced as you that Stu is off-point.  The OP DID make the statement Stu is harping on and I, too, would like some specific examples to legitimize the OP's position.

Without substantiation of actual situations, or even allusions to them, the OP's opening missive is nothing but opinion.

6 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

He's kind of known for that.

He and his cohorts are also known for flaming and baiting just to get threads locked when the discourse doesn't go their way.

Oh that's just precious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

It's inappropriate and unprofessional to call names on a public forum. I almost regret signing up for this in the past several hours.  This meant to be a breath of fresh air kind of post, not calling anybody out.

But you did.  And now you have a choice of three actions:  Substantiate your opinion if you choose, change the original contention that Stu is picking on, or go away quietly and leave those remaining to discuss the validity of your points.

That's how it works but, because you've been lurking for a long time, you know that.

It is a little confusing that you came on to defend that there are no conspiracies but then make comments that clearly suggest some of the current crop of judges would do well to quit and move on.

6 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

He's kind of known for that.

He and his cohorts are also known for flaming and baiting just to get threads locked when the discourse doesn't go their way.

But at least he has a defined history.

Some here bloviate with no history to defend their rationality.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Ok, I know the sheets; and if you can see it (archaic design being rewarded over BD, SCV, Crown, Boston type newer design) please cite the examples.

Dude, please give it a rest... you are not going to get anything out of him, this is bordering on harassment now. 

I agree that he SHOULD cite examples to substantiate and legitimize his claims, but if he doesnt after the first, say, 10 times you pester him, I think it's just safe to conclude that his point in that particular respect does not have much merit. Easy as that. 

Edited by Cappybara

5 hours ago, Stu said:

a) This is all, and I mean ALL subjective scoring by human judge evaluation based on two different nights by two different judges.

b) The Sat judge is to evaluate the Sat run to the sheets, and not compare it to the Fri run or Fri score.

c) SCV went from 1st in guard on Fri to 2nd on Sat; (nothing radical there).

d) SCV did fluctuate .5, but other guards fluctuated as much as .4; so there was no indication of a judge 'out to getcha' for SCV and (nothing radical there).

e) Also there were no radical shifts in rankings by any top 12 guards; again (nothing radical there).

f) So, based on this criteria, because I see nothing radical, I do think that SCV guard may indeed have had a bad run on Sat, or at least BD may have just simply had a better run than SCV (according to that judge).

I think that wild shifts especially on the night that it counts most is a problem. I understand what you are trying to say, I just think its crappy.

So it leads me to my next question. How can the sheets account for such radically different styles among the corps. How do they really assess who is "better?" The perfect example is the brass caption. Both BD and Crown are exceptional horn lines, but they use very different balance structures, different tonality and different attack methods that are designed to compliment the musical style they are playing. I prefer the sound of Crown, I know others who swear up and down that BD is better and they have a great argument. The whole thing is like comparing an apple an orange a banana and a kumquat and saying which one is better. Sure they are all fruits, but how do you compare them to fairly judge which is better? 

7 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I think that wild shifts especially on the night that it counts most is a problem. I understand what you are trying to say, I just think its crappy.

So it leads me to my next question. How can the sheets account for such radically different styles among the corps. How do they really assess who is "better?" The perfect example is the brass caption. Both BD and Crown are exceptional horn lines, but they use very different balance structures, different tonality and different attack methods that are designed to compliment the musical style they are playing. I prefer the sound of Crown, I know others who swear up and down that BD is better and they have a great argument. The whole thing is like comparing an apple an orange a banana and a kumquat and saying which one is better. Sure they are all fruits, but how do you compare them to fairly judge which is better? 

This activity is inherently subjective and always will be. There's no answer to your question of "how do we know who is better?"

also no wild shift occurred. Changing one spot in placements is not a wild shift. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

It all comes down to jazz hands today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

This activity is inherently subjective and always will be. There's no answer to your question of "how do we know who is better?"

also no wild shift occurred. Changing one spot in placements is not a wild shift. 

Changing one spot by half a point when they won the majority of head to head match ups including the prior 2 nights is a wild shift in my book.

And if there is no answer to "who is better?" Then why in the hell do we have scoring in the first place?