Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

17 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Morrison stepping down as Chairmen of the DCI Board makes sense in this climate due to the nature of his judgements regarding the issues

But I still don’t see what the cause is to bounce Morrison out of Xmen? If parents or members demand it, or something more happens to come to light sure, but as of now as long as he retains supports from the corps, members, org I expect him to stay

Let’s not get into a bloodletting purge and belittle the issue and ourselves

Yep, pretty much.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yikes!  I better drink my coffee BEFORE cracking open the iPad. 

I would make it an Irish Coffee.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

I have a teenage daughter playing marimba. I am not going to guess what my reaction would be, but I'm absolutely certain that it would be based on in what context I was made aware. Did he grab someone? Was he caught doing something? Or did a member report to their parents that this guy always seemed to have someone with him, looking over his shoulder?  What would be the #### circumstances in this "what would you do?" world to want to react in? The Morrisons, to our evidence and knowledge, made a decision that some staff members disagreed with, and you do, too. That doesn't rise to the level of disbarment, disgorgement, stripping off his epaulets and sending him down the dusty trail into oblivion.

I understand your passion.

Well, for starters, wouldn't you want to know Moody's history before your daughter's director hired him as an assistant, or, if she joined the band after he was on staff, what his history was?

And if her director kept that information from you, wouldn't you feel some sort of punishment was in order? A note of censure to his file from the school board, perhaps?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Morrison stepping down as Chairmen of the DCI Board makes sense in this climate due to the nature of his judgements regarding the issues

But I still don’t see what the cause is to bounce Morrison out of Xmen? If parents or members demand it, or something more happens to come to light sure, but as of now as long as he retains supports from the corps, members, org I expect him to stay.

Let’s not get into a bloodletting purge and belittle the issue and ourselves.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm almost OK with Morrison remaining in charge at Crossmen, although I think he needs to clearly acknowledge that it was wrong to keep members and parents in the dark and to apologize for that. And he needs to address the issue of staff who felt that they couldn't complain about Moody's more recent (but far less serious) behavior.

25 minutes ago, garfield said:

I have a teenage daughter playing marimba...  I am not going to guess what my reaction would be, but I'm absolutely certain that it would be based on in what context I was made aware.  

Did he grab someone?  Was he caught doing something?  Or did a member report to their parents that this guy always seemed to have someone with him, looking over his shoulder?  What would be the #### circumstances in this "what would you do?" world to want to react in?

The Morrison's, to our evidence and knowledge, made a decision that some staff members disagreed with, and you do, too. 

That doesn't rise to the level of disbarment, disgorgement, stripping off his epaulets and sending him down the dusty trail into oblivion.

I understand your passion. 

Stripping off a man's epaulets seems pretty harsh.

The more I read about this entire situation that has exploded since last month and contemplate it...I really think there needs to be an INDEPENDENT BODY separate form the corps and also DCI as well...a place where victims of these crimes, harassment, hazing issues and the like....can turn/call for reporting and assistance etc...a place they feel comfortable to talk about it...I just don't think self-policing is doing enough...perhaps it is heightened awareness right now..but what will it be in say 5 or 10 years from now?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

The more I read about this entire situation that has exploded since last month and contemplate it...I really think there needs to be an INDEPENDENT BODY separate form the corps and also DCI as well...a place where victims of these crimes, harassment, hazing issues and the like....can turn/call for reporting and assistance etc...a place they feel comfortable to talk about it...I just don't think self-policing is doing enough...perhaps it is heightened awareness right now..but what will it be in say 5 or 10 years from now?

Agreed, a hotline for the whole activity, the YEA.org hiring an independent law firm to look into the situation there is a positive step, perhaps a larger external review system to ensure correct processes and policies in place at all member organizations 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As I said in an earlier post, I'm almost OK with Morrison remaining in charge at Crossmen, although I think he needs to clearly acknowledge that it was wrong to keep members and parents in the dark and to apologize for that. And he needs to address the issue of staff who felt that they couldn't complain about Moody's more recent (but far less serious) behavior.

We can agree to disagree. Morrison obviously used poor judgement, yet he’s suppose to get a second chance. This is exactly why the 14 page DCI policy isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. There are only discretionary enforcement instead of punitive punishment. An apology from Morrison is IMO as worthless as one from Moody. 

44 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Was Tailhook the big turning point?

(The DoD seems to have moved onto other kinds of scandals, like Fat Leonard.)

Now that you mention it that might have been the start. Like anything else with government, what it takes to get stuff moving is someone bleeping  up big time. And people noticing....

and yeah forget the Fat Leonard name to that mess. Work for the Navy and will have to “thank” those clowns for any new ethics training. Irony is I took POSH (Prevention of Sexual Harrasment) training today and POSA (A is Assault) next week.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

10 minutes ago, Liahona said:

A compliance department or independent organization is exactly what I believe is needed. These organizations can not be trusted to police themselves including the DCI offices. 

• Like 1