Madison Scouts 2011

Man.... No offense to Robert W. Smith, but I was looking forward to hearing more of Prime's work on the field for several years. This really stinks IMO. Prime is one of the best, if not THE best, arranger in DCI. I'm sad to see him go. :laughing:

I got a response from Scouts Facebook page that Prime will still be a consultant, but he had

to step back his involvement due to other commitments. Hopefully Smith can

offer charts that live up to what Prime wrote. By the way, it says on Smith's resume

that he was with Cadets. Does anyone know what year or years that was?

Hmmm...

Thread topic might need to be changed to "If You Were Robert W. Smith..."

http://www.madisonscouts.org/blog/?p=466

Great news.

This announcement could be probably be a thread in itself.

It would be interesting to see if both Prime and Smith will be involved- Or what Primes role will contiinue to be. Consuting maybe? Thats kind of like saying why have one if two is twice as nice. If those two, working with brass- Wow.

As it relates to the thread. I liked Rememberence in the 90 show. But the 98 verison of Rememberance even more. It is just one of those anytime, anywhere tunes with me that I hope Madison Scouts bring back. Like a "best of". - So next year, hopes are again this tune finds it way in.

You guys are not giving Robert W. Smith NEARLY enough credit. Prime is great, yes. But Smith is just as talented if not more as far as I'm concerned.

Go check out the Suncoast sound shows from the 80s, some of those were ground breaking in terms of show design and arrangment

I got a response from Scouts Facebook page that Prime will still be a consultant, but he had

offer charts that live up to what Prime wrote. By the way, it says on Smith's resume

1989 (Les Miserables). I work for Robert's wife's marching band and have been around Robert quite a bit as a result. His arrangements/compositions are incredible and I am very excited to have him on our staff. I also know that Robert has loved the Madison Scouts and before he ever got the call from Jim Mason, he told me how much he loved the direction the corps is going and talked about how this last season brought back memories from the years that he loved most. I remember in 2009 when he came and watched rehearsal and he knew a good amount of Scouts history (Beyond what is common knowledge). Robert is a very welcome addition to the Madison Scouts!

You guys are not giving Robert W. Smith NEARLY enough credit. Prime is great, yes. But Smith is just as talented if not more as far as I'm concerned.

Go check out the Suncoast sound shows from the 80s, some of those were ground breaking in terms of show design and arrangment

You are right. I did not give him enough credit. I went back and watched the 88 Suncoast show

on my legacy DVD and was reminded of how much talent he has. I also spoke with a fellow alum

who is quite knowlegable about the activity and he basically said that if you had to replace Prime

as an arranger, Smith would be one of the best, if not the best replacement that you could find.

So I'm sure the Scouts are in good hands with Mr. Smith as arranger.

I thought Prime was perfect for Madison.

this

Edited by AlexL

89 Les Miz year I believe

I do not think this a good change. The difference between the two writers in arranging abilities and personal musicianship are huge. I was not of fan of Smith's Glassmen work.