Madison Scouts 2011

40 years after Alice in Wonderland... I would modernize it with a Madison take on Chick Corea's The Mad Hatter.

Okay, I'm going there and hope it hasn't already happened, "Alan in Wonderland - 2011." Can you even imagine!

In a Metal Mood - ala Pat Boone

Yeah, I know, but the instrumental part of these arrangements are incredible.

You've Got Another Thing Coming

Smoke on the Water

No More Mr. Nice Guy

DO IT!

I'd love to see them do a great Jazz opener like Los Hermanos de Bop or maybe

Minor Booze by Stan Kenton. Maybe a great, powerful ballad with a long sustain on the

end that just blows the crowd away. And then a great, rip your face off classical closer

like Mozart's Requiem-Confutatis!

Minor Booze....been a long time since I played that (that was the first Kenton chart I ever played)......wonder what could be done visually with it.

Haven't cared for Glassmen arrangements of the past many years, since 2003.

LOVED Smith arrangements in the 80's, especially the orchestration in My Fair Lady...Our Way show. Loved Les Miserables... ( Suncoast and Garfield). Loved the Florida Suites, Vietname show, and Adventures in Time ( did Smith arrange last two)

Didn't care for 12 Seconds to the Moon in the 90s by Magic, but loved Fantasia arrangements in '90 and '91.

I'm not basing his arrangements on just one corps, but his newer stuff hasn't been as good as the older stuff.

I have hope, and I do agree that Smith is one of the best! I'm just cautious.

Here's my take on it.

Is Jim Prime brilliant-YES

Is Robert W. Smith brilliant-YES

Both would be great. As for RWS's arrangements for the Glassmen...let's take a look at the choice of repertoire. Some of it has been awesome, some not so much. There is only so far that a brilliant arranger can take a great piece of music.

The other side of it is the talent of the horline members and teaching staff. This is not a knock on the Glassmen, but could it be that the arrangements did not shine because the instruction wasn't as great as it needed to be, or the performance? Just some thoughts.

Let us not forget also, Scott Boerma wrote a brilliant arrangment of Malaga in 1994, which was even better in 1995-possibly one of the best closers ever, and in 2004, well...let's just say it left a lot to be desired.

There are so many factors that play in....let's not just look at the man's work with one organization, there's more to it than that.

I think the boys are in good hands, no worries.

Smith hasn't been at Glassmen since 2006? Don Hill has been arranging for Glassmen ever since.

That's good to hear! :devil:

No offence, to Don Hill, of course. Just not my cup of tea.

Minor Booze....been a long time since I played that (that was the first Kenton chart I ever played)......wonder what could be done visually with it.

how about: ritual fire dance

land of a thousand dances

sabre dance...............................but don't dance!!

I wouldn't mind a return of Jesus Christ Superstar. How long has it been since a top 12 corps like Madison (that sounds good doesn't it) has done a Broadway based show?

Cadets 2009 West Side Story.

Haven't cared for Glassmen arrangements of the past many years, since 2003.

LOVED Smith arrangements in the 80's, especially the orchestration in My Fair Lady...Our Way show. Loved Les Miserables... ( Suncoast and Garfield). Loved the Florida Suites, Vietname show, and Adventures in Time ( did Smith arrange last two)

Didn't care for 12 Seconds to the Moon in the 90s by Magic, but loved Fantasia arrangements in '90 and '91.

I'm not basing his arrangements on just one corps, but his newer stuff hasn't been as good as the older stuff.

I have hope, and I do agree that Smith is one of the best! I'm just cautious.

Pretty sure he did everything you listed with some credit to Klesch on the 89 Cadets show.

I did however, LOVE the 12 seconds to the moon show. His work at Magic was very tasty. The entire opener of that show was some great work ... and executed extremely well by the brass section.

Show design has changed in it's approach since the 80's and I'm sure that affects EVERY brass arranger. Gone are the days of splicing the tracks and writing the brass charts, then handing things over to the percussion guys with liner notes saying when there needed to be a fill or break etc. It's all design by committee and the visual guys are at the head of the table with just about every organization out there. Should be interesting to see what he musters up ...... or if the Scouts staff will let him loose and lead the way in the design meetings.