Best Rifle Line In History

BTW, I wanted to be Mary Lou Retton, but they told me I was too old and the pommel horse injury was a negative.

I'm a little baffled with this thread. I marched in one of those olde timey guards...and proud as I am of the work we did, I have to tell you... At no point in my life could I have done the equipment, dance or body movement work that today's top guards do. Period. There is no doubt about that.

you are correct, although IF the activity had evolved to the pont it has now back then Im sure just as you learned what you did then you would learn the FAR ADVANCED product there is now with no problem......BAck then was good for what it was then, even great BUT YES you are right. There's things that are very subjective about our activity today and yesterday BUT then there are things that are very plainly objective..what was done back in the day was great but to compare today is like comparing........hmmm lets not get into comparing there will end up a debate for pages on what the comparision was....lol

I remember having this comverstaion With George Z. way back in the mid 80s and HE, who did many successful programs was actually laughing from year to year how advanced things were getting and that compared to past years and at that time was only a few, how novice it looked only a few years before. Cant deny the intensity of guards back then....just a way different ball game

Edited by GUARDLING

Even though they were our arch rivals, (I was marching BAC in 1980) I have to say 27th's rifle line was stellar. Another which comes to mind was BAC's rifle line from 1977-1978. I will say that during this era, both of these Boston-based guards were very aggressive and viceral in their approach. Lots of sharp head moves (shakos and plumes in the case of BAC and tall busbies in the case of 27), and a real emphasis on equipment handling. IIRC, both lines used to tape pennies on their straps so you could hear the 16th note clicks on doubletime. While I love the artistry and integration of body in contemporary lines, the old-school precision of those past lines was an effect all their own.

And I do agree with the poster who mentioned contemporary guards who don't move well....I would amend that to note that at an athletic step or full jazz run, they are great. However, if they have to move anywhere near an 8 to 5 stride, many current guards are clueless as to how to achieve that. Watch a modern drum corps in a parade sometime...brass and percussion are bad###.....guard not so much.

• Like 1

I'm a little baffled with this thread. I marched in one of those olde timey guards...and proud as I am of the work we did, I have to tell you... At no point in my life could I have done the equipment, dance or body movement work that today's top guards do. Period. There is no doubt about that.

Agree 100%.

• Like 2

I would have to give my vote to the 27th as well. I think it could be argued that 27th had the best rifle line any year from 1975-1981, perhaps 82. When they approached the field you expected them to be motionless, like the guard at Buckingham Palace who shared the same uniform. Once the blanks were fired and 27th was off the line, they wereanything but motionless. If I did have to pick one year, it would be 1980. I know other posters have mentioned 1980's Madison, a worthy group if any, and only one of two corps that bested 27th in 1980. While Madison's hornline could always steal a show, the rifle line often acted as the ambassadors that sold the show mixing both athleticism and artistry. It's also interesting that someof the best rifle work in 1980's Madison show and 27th's 1980 show was during the drum solo of "New Country." However, the difference between is that 27th's 1980 show was 27th at its best and the rifleline used all the great techniques it debuted between 1975 and 79 and put them all together for a flawless show that was an essential part of one of drum corps finest shows up to that time.

I also have to agree with the person who gave a nod to 27th's neighbors to the south, BAC, but for me, Boston's 1980 rifle line was at its best. That was one of BAC's more challenging years and it was almost of if Boston was saying to other corps "you may have larger horn and drum lines than we do but we have heart and to prove it, look at our guard." 27th's neighbors to the north, appropriately known as North Star (Beverly is north ofRevere) also had a great rifle line, though not 27th's.

Groups I see missing are from the list are Phantom and Cavies who both had great rifle lines in the late 70's/early 80's. As far as guards of today, I'm not sure you can compare the rifle lines of yesterday to today. I'm not talking about talent or whether the interpretations used today are moredifficult. Today, color guards do not use equipment in the same way and most guards do not have rifle lines that perform for 11 1/2 to 13 minutes marching for at least 9 and using the rifles the entire time. It requires a whole different skill set, so comments on this thread can go back to the old school without knocking what happens on the field today.

Edited by Tim K

I'll throw in a split vote, one from each coast: 2-7 and these ladies (couldn't find a comparable 2-7 one at the moment):

Kingsmenrifles.png

• Like 2

Here's how I would pick:

Late 70's / early 80's: 27th Lancers

Mid 80's /Late 80's : Cavaliers

Early 90's / late 90's : Cadets

00's to now : Cavaliers & Blue Devils

Rifle lines and demands have changed so much that you can't really pick one without the context of the decade surrounding it.

Later,

Mike