Hot, Hot, Hotlanta

Aw, man. I'm genuinely interested in how else fans can and should express their opinions about the judging.

http://www.dci.org/support/

Drum Corps International

110 W. Washington St., Suite C

Indianapolis, IN 46204

Tel: 317.275.1212

Fax: 317.713.0690

Edited by tja273
  • Like 1

This statement makes me laugh. You're saying that if I'm at a 9 hour event, and I tell the person I'm with that I'm going to the bathroom, that makes me classless??? The judgement in this statement astounds me.

If you read what was actually said, it was meant as an insult. It was more than "I am going to the restroom".

Just because I like Sauvignon Blanc MORE than I like Pinot Grigio doesn't mean I don't like them both. ;-)

Agreed. So, if someone gave you a bottle of Pinot as a gift, would you accept it with a nice "Thank you"? Or would you chastise the giver for not giving you a better bottle of wine? Kinda similar to the whole booing thing.

• Like 1

I think order of appearance totally affects scores. I could have predicted tonight that the Cavaliers and the Crusaders would over-take the Madison Scouts...just based on order. Madison Scouts should be really ######. I know as a fan of theirs, I am really ######. This whole drum corps judging system stinks. We all know who is going to make the top 8. Madison could stand on their heads and march, and they would still wind up behind the Cavaliers and Boston. Judges...wake up. Fans are sick to death of the slotting and biases.

In this theory, how would Cadets have ended up beating Phantom? They have been neck and neck the past month, with Cadets going on 4 corps prior to Phantom, and yet they beat Phantom last night.

Let's be honest, most judges know what scores they are going to give a corps prior to them taking the field. In fact, if you talked honestly to almost any judge, they probably know not only what score they are going to give, but what the other judges are going to score them as well.

I love the booing. I know it is just Crown fans crying that once again they will fail to win the gold medal they so feel they deserve. BD members know the booing will happen whenever they win a major show in any area of the country east of the Rockies. This is something they accept before auditioning. It has been happening since the late 70's. (it used to be Phantom and not Crown that was getting wronged by the judges) There was no booing when the scores were announced at DCI in Pasadena. (there were some idiots who booed Cadets, which I thought was awful)

• Like 1

1343585965[/url]' post='3187971']

If you read what was actually said, it was meant as an insult. It was more than "I am going to the restroom".

According to the original post, she said she was taking a bathroom break. You said that was classless.

And on the wine comment, I think I would be entirely within my right to boo 'Wine Spectator' if they rated a Pinot Grigio I didn't like higher than a Sauv Blanc that I DID like. Doesn't mean I wouldn't drink it if someone gave it to me. ;-). And I wouldn't be saying anything bad about the winemaker - just disagreeing with the ratings WS gave one of their wines.

I'm off now to be classless . . . I've had a lot of diet Coke today. :-)

I love the booing. I know it is just Crown fans crying that once again they will fail to win the gold medal they so feel they deserve. BD members know the booing will happen whenever they win a major show in any area of the country east of the Rockies. This is something they accept before auditioning. It has been happening since the late 70's. (it used to be Phantom and not Crown that was getting wronged by the judges) There was no booing when the scores were announced at DCI in Pasadena. (there were some idiots who booed Cadets, which I thought was awful)

Agreed. What the BD haters on here can't wrap their heads around is not that people are booing because they think BD's show is bad, they are booing because they want their corps to win. It is totally different. I am willing to bet 99% of the people in the audience (and hell, probably on DCP as well) can't tell the difference in performance levels between the top 6 at all. To think that they are able to pick up on the nuances of what the judges pick up in a way that let's them be able to decide who the winner should be based on the performance level and not just "who they like" or "who their favorite corps is" is moronic. The only thing the idiots that boo in the crowd understand when the scores are announced is that their favorite corps didn't win, not that BD's performance level was below that of Crown's.

People on here need to stop trying to cloak their hate for BD around some sort of false sense of the judges being bad at their jobs and just come out and say "Hey, I like Crown more than BD and I want them to win, even though it is obvious that they should not be winning right now based on the performance level difference."

• Like 2

According to the original post, she said she was taking a bathroom break. You said that was classless.

I didn't say a #### thing about it being classless or not. You may want to go back a few pages if you want to address them. I only noted that the statement was meant as an insult. Here is the full quote:

QUOTE: "When BD took the field tonight my Wife stood up & said 'ok, its time for a bathroom break. I'll return when they are done'."

Anyway, thanks for the laugh. The image of you standing in the supermarket aisle booing at a copy of the Wine Spectator brightens my day.

• Like 1

I think there is room for both entertainment excellence and performance excellence.

True. And should they achieve that I will be thrilled.

I want to thank those who expressed themselves in response to my question about performance order. I've gained insight.

I must say that, if BK does manage to outscore Spirit in the coming shows, I hope it'll be because of quality of performance and not because of order of appearance.

Edited by RockyGranite