Hot, Hot, Hotlanta

Cadets were great!

Well, that's great to hear. Just looked at the scores. See they're in 3rd place and took percussion last night. Good job! How was Crown?

Well, that's great to hear. Just looked at the scores. See they're in 3rd place and took percussion last night. Good job! How was Crown?

I had a horrible internet connection as a result of the Olympics (it's in this thread but explained earlier on). In between the freezes, sudden movement back to the previous corps and messages that the video was no longer available, IMO, Crown was wonderful musically but there were some visual issues.

What I thought of the top 12 on the webcast:

Blue Stars - Still some visual dirt, but it got drastically cleaner even from San Antonio from the high cam, at least I thought.

Blue Knights - Same as Blue Stars, they're starting to lock on this, and I'm starting to like it.

Spirit - Some changes, good ones, and a nice solid run just like they've been having. Watch their backs though.

Madison - Lots of changes, and I attribute that to their placement drop. Shocked the see the drumline that low honestly.

Cavaliers - Show deigns still not working, but they are really starting to sell it. REALLY.

Boston - They're performing at a very high level with a great show, and an amazing guard that earned 5th last night.

Bluecoats - I finally got what this show as trying to say, and it's back at the top of my list after disappointing me live in San Antonio, if you watch the Flume video they posted on the fan network, the voices and stuff will make a lot more sense.

Santa Clara Vanguard - I agree and hope they work Music of the Nights transition a little more, but otherwise still my favorite this year. Beautiful show.

Phantom Regiment - Great new ending!!! Some issues in it though performance wise, can kinda see why Cadets overtook em, but I have a feeling they're going to go back and forth the rest of the season.

Cadets - They had a great run, nice job drumline!

Crown - They sounded amazing, visual is getting there, but the drums had a rougher run that I was expecting.

BD - Wow, I like this show and they deserve to be winning. Like the newish ending, and a very strong run. No weakness's is a dangerous thing. Very dangerous.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

1343538433[/url]' post='3187582']

Ok, I apologize. Seriously. I made an assumption that she said as much in the stands. Which would be classless. So again, I apologize.

This statement makes me laugh. You're saying that if I'm at a 9 hour event, and I tell the person I'm with that I'm going to the bathroom, that makes me classless??? The judgement in this statement astounds me.

I'm always amazed by the 'black and white thinking', mind reading, blatant rudeness and lack of respect for others that I see on this board. Apparently if others disagree with my opinion they are horrible idiots who are going to hell. :-).

I enjoy drum corps. I'm a fan. I never marched with a corps ( although I marched trumpet for 10 years in high school and college bands). The first DCI show I remember attending was maybe 1979 in Birmingham, so I've been a fan for a long time. But I can't tell you what Phantom's final score was in 1981. I don't know who was 7th place in 1992. I don't even know what a kick halt is! That doesn't mean I don't have opinions and that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have opinions that differ from others. And THAT doesn't make me a horrible person.

I didn't boo out loud last night. But I WAS disappointed with the placements. As a more casual fan than most others on this board, I couldn't tell you which drumline scored higher or which color guard was cleaner from a technical sense. I know which performances I enjoyed most, which ones gave me the good kind of chills, and which ones moved me to tears (in a good way!) :-) And although I like BD's 2012 show WAAAY more than the 2011 show, it still wasn't my favorite of those I saw last night.

According to some folks here, that statement would be akin to 'booing the kids'. It is not. Just because I like someone else more doesn't mean I don't respect and appreciate the talent, skill and hard work of others.

Just because I like Sauvignon Blanc MORE than I like Pinot Grigio doesn't mean I don't like them both. ;-)

This is an OPINION. It is mine. No one has to agree with it. :-)

And can someone please tell me what a kick halt is? :-)

Thanks!

What's been interesting to me so far is that the entire reason the sheets were changed this year was to supposedly directly respond to the idea that shows weren't catering to fans as much anymore.

Interesting that when Micheal Cesario discussed the new sheets on the Marching Roundtable much of the reasoning was around all of the shows starting to look and sound the same. I don't remember him or any of the others on the Roundtable (including two who are DCI judges) talk about not "catering to the fans".

I don't know who was 7th place in 1992. I don't even know what a kick halt is!

Thanks!

SCV was 7th in 1992 with Fiddler on the Roof.

A kick halt is seen in Phantom Regiment shows, where coming into a halt, they swing their left leg out, and '' kick'' it into place next to the right on count 1 of the halt. There are a few of them shown in their new closer, they're a cool trademark move. Watch when they make the chevron, they zoom in on it

... there is no way to distinguish whether the jeers are for the judges or the corps. So if in the deep recesses of your heart, you are booing a judge, it will still come across as booing the kids.

Because it is the same. It is saying, "Sorry, kids, but we don't think you are good enough to win, no matter how hard you have worked tonight and all season. You in first place pi$$es me off so much that I forgot what my mother taught me about manners and proper behavior in public."

• Like 3

Thanks!

Check out the end of Phantom 1996 (I think). There's your answer.

• Like 1