Hot, Hot, Hotlanta

guard? :laughing:

I remember COLOR GUARD. Boy those were the days. Now days you never EVER see more than two rifles at the same angle if you stop the video.

Really? That old argument again. Guards today probably do more in a 16 count phrase than a "color guard" did in their entire show back in day. And if I stop any of my old '70's and '80's videos - I doubt that I'll see exact angles too.

So tired of this guard argument.

Later,

Mike

Unless the announcer says at the time scores are read "All those who would like to boo the judges' decision tonight, please boo now" and then says "All those who would like to boo the Blue Devils, please boo now," there is no way to distinguish whether the jeers are for the judges or the corps. So if in the deep recesses of your heart, you are booing a judge, it will still come across as booing the kids.

Since most shows take place in an athletic arena, it can feel like a sporting event and the judges are referees or umpires, but a drum corps show is not an athletic event even if the corps members are as good as fine athletes and in top physical condition, and unlike an ump or referee, we don't know the opinions until the show is over. Booing a judge's decision is not the same thing as verbally disagreeing with the call of a referee in a basketball game or an ump in baseball. Withholding applause may be the better option.

• Like 1

Why does Phantom insist on gratuitous violence in their shows! Furthermore if your going to take a head, make it a trumpet!

Or use a mellophone. In the proper hands the sound from a mello can be down right lethal!

• Like 1

Interesting pattern in the scores here: extremely well distributed with the top 18 corps spread relatively evenly over a 17.85 point spread. The average spread is 1.05 and the most common spread is also 1.05...

92.00 -1.15

90.60 -1.40

90.45 -0.15

88.85 -1.60

88.20 -0.65

86.30 -1.90

85.95 -0.35

84.90 -1.05

83.40 -1.50

82.70 -0.70

81.65 -1.05

80.20 -1.45

79.15 -1.05

78.05 -1.10

76.75 -1.30

76.25 -0.50

75.30 -0.95

not worth it..lol :smile:

Aw, man. I'm genuinely interested in how else fans can and should express their opinions about the judging. I agree with everyone that booing is inappropriate and rude. I never boo anyone, even stupid refs. I honestly have a hard time Blooing, even. :tongue:

Or does the audience not have a stake in how well the judging matches up with their impressions?

Really? That old argument again. Guards today probably do more in a 16 count phrase than a "color guard" did in their entire show back in day. And if I stop any of my old '70's and '80's videos - I doubt that I'll see exact angles too.

Later,

Mike

QFT worthy.gif

That's the point. BD SHOULD care. I wish they did. BD was my favorite drum corps when I was a kid. I was obsessed with the Blue Devils from 1976 to 1982. I absolutely loved BD & thought they were the coolest MF'rs in the activity. I loved their music. I loved jazz. I would listen to their shows in my car, in my bedroom, at parties, whenever & wherever.

I miss melody, harmony, hooks, licks, & standing ovations.

Well said. I was a fan of theirs back in the day, but no longer. Obviously BD is free to do whatever they want, but it's getting to the point where we are all going to just assume them the winner and the more interesting race from year to year is who is going to come in 2nd. Because no one outside of their current fan base seems to be able to get into their shows. And even in the crop of modern day BD fans I wonder how many are just fair-weather fans because they have been so successful (ala the Yankees, Lakers, Barcelona, etc). Still, if all they want is to max out the boxes and not entertain and inspire, then that's their choice.

When they go back to doing what they used to do, I will have no problem cheering them on again. In the mean time I will just continue to listen to their early 90's shows on CD and hope that we hear something like those again someday.

Well said. I was a fan of theirs back in the day, but no longer. Obviously BD is free to do whatever they want, but it's getting to the point where we are all going to just assume them the winner and the more interesting race from year to year is who is going to come in 2nd. Because no one outside of their current fan base seems to be able to get into their shows. And even in the crop of modern day BD fans I wonder how many are just fair-weather fans because they have been so successful (ala the Yankees, Lakers, Barcelona, etc). Still, if all they want is to max out the boxes and not entertain and inspire, then that's their choice.

When they go back to doing what they used to do, I will have no problem cheering them on again. In the mean time I will just continue to listen to their early 90's shows on CD and hope that we hear something like those again someday.

I think there is room for both entertainment excellence and performance excellence.

At the S.A. show, I only stood for three shows: Jersey Surf, BK and BD. Jersey Surf, because their show was all about entertainment, BK, because...well, I'm a BK Dad and BD, because of their performance.

• Like 1

Later,

Mike

I agree with you. I just wish that guards would dump sabres. They add nothing visually IMO.

• Like 1