DCI's "Artistic Shift"

it's going to be an evolving process. No system is perfect upon implementation. I see some steps that did pay off this year in terms of rewarding achievement.

You're one of the few people I've seen who did see something change with the new sheets. Can you give some examples of what you noticed that was different?

...Of COURSE it's cerebral---

And "that" is why there will never be a large enough paying audience to support the desired growth of DCI. Most of those who want to pay for travel, pay for motel, pay for food, and pay for tickets do not want to also pay to "think"; the audience, for the most part, wants to throw things in the air from being emotionally entertained. Forced thinking should occur in the bowels of the academic arena, not in the world of the entertainment arena; especially if you want to support a multi-million dollar music industry like DCI.

• Like 1

As far as the ART discussion, and intellectually challenging shows, I have one comment: You never see people throwing babies at the Louvre.

Jeff, I think DCI should hire you and me to rewrite the sheets and train the judges in the future :P

I can't speak to the visual sheets. I see a few needed tweaks in Ensemble for sure, and GE. percussion is fine as is

You're one of the few people I've seen who did see something change with the new sheets. Can you give some examples of what you noticed that was different?

yes. For starters you saw bigger spreads between book and performer...meaning the judges rewarded the designer, but had a spread down to the performer number to indicate that the performer had issues. you saw the numbers flatline earlier for a few corps, and you saw some performer over the book numbers earlier too. You also saw more bouncing in subcaptions...just because you were 2nd in book didn;'t always mean you were 2nd in performance.

however performer over book numbers should have happened a bit more

like any new system, it will take time. I know a lot of people complain about the WGI influence, but really, WGI used to be more like this, especially on the guard side, and seems to have gotten away from it

As far as the ART discussion, and intellectually challenging shows, I have one comment: You never see people throwing babies at the Louvre.

and thankfully no one throws rotten eggs at drum corps shows

Supersop, I have great respect for your opinions, and I would like to add my own. I think you said (several pages ago) something like "most folks would say that Madison was the best of the 7-9 corps". I would politely disagree with you. I think most folks LOVE Madison(myself included), but that doesn't necessarily equate to a specific placement. I also LOVED Surf this year, but I wouldn't have put them any higher in placement than they finished. So, we can agreeably disagree on that point. :smile:

I DO have one observation, however, and this is not directed at Supersop or any one person. To all the "Old School" or "Traditionalists" out there, I am SURPRISED that more of you don't jump on the Boston bandwagon.

Consider this, (and this has NOTHING to do with coming in 7th):

Here is a drum corps which for the past 5 years has been going out of its way to produce and execute shows which in some ways, are the most traditional on the field, while still remaining competitive. In a year when the Cavies are doing Lady Gaga, dubstep, and a music video ending, BK is sampling Star Trek theme music, BD is of course, being BD, and many corps are using synths to double their low brass, we find the 72 year old Boston Crusaders:

NO voiceovers.

Synth was used sparingly, to the point where at the TOC finale they didn't bring the electronics out and most folks probably didn't even notice it.

Charlie's bari solo, played from midfield or behind, was NOT miked (for the second year in a row).

NO sampling.

No pre-recorded soundtracks.

216 drill sets with only one brief "scatter" that I recall.

Melodic arrangements of great classic masterpieces.

And my favorite, a corps uniform that in terms of look, is right out of 1977. Heck,

the hornline even had a couple left- and right-about moves in the drill!

I am NOT criticizing the other teams, but JEEZ, if you are "Old School", how much more could you get?

AND, they CERTAINLY remain competitive nonetheless....I think some credit should go to BAC for the NEO-Old School niche they have carved out for themselves. The whole BD thing bothers me a whole lot less knowing the antithesis it still out there, AND it's not going away any time soon.

Even with all these traditional aspects of its production, BAC placed 7th. As a 52 year old, I'll just say it: The Sky is NOT falling.

I would think the drum corps traditionalists would love the Scouts even more so! So, I respectfully disagree with you on the BAC one. How about 75 years of tradition?

• Like 1

Whats off is Cesario and everyone says that corps should stick with their identity and they will win. And yet innovative and original artistic visions constantly win DCI. For some corps these things arent elements that jive with their identity. Sure they do new things but they don't feel the need to do scatter still, or change uniforms, or be intellectual. So how can these shows win?

If corps are encouraged to stick with their identity then maybe that's setting up some corps to NEVER win. Also, if that's the case maybe Crsario would rather have competitions where corps don't compete with each other but with themselves. Is THIS the best phantom can bring? Nope, 3rd place. Is this the BEST bluecoats can bring? Nope. 6th place. Is this the best Carolina Crown can bring? YES 1st place! :)

I'm not sure I'm describing this point clearly...

Edited by charlie1223

Whats off is Cesario and everyone says that corps should stick with their identity and they will win. And yet innovative and original artistic visions constantly win DCI. For some corps these things arent elements that jive with their identity. Sure they do new things but they don't feel the need to do scatter still, or change uniforms, or be intellectual. So how can these shows win?

If corps are encouraged to stick with their identity then maybe that's setting up some corps to NEVER win. Also, if that's the case maybe Crsario would rather have competitions where corps don't compete with each other but with themselves. Is THIS the best phantom can bring? Nope, 3rd place. Is this the BEST bluecoats can bring? Nope. 6th place. Is this the best Carolina Crown can bring? YES 1st place! :)

I'm not sure I'm describing this point clearly...

Cadets won last year

Cadets won last year

Yeah... And?

They were innovative. I'm talking about corps thay don't feel the need to push the envelope in that kind of way. Innovative shows seem to always win and I'm wondering if that's what DCI's artistic director is looking for. Because some corps aren't innovators.

Edited by charlie1223