Crossmen 2013

I know the past couple of years they have had rights issues and just decided to rewrite stuff and change songs. Last year I believe they chose a completely different ballad originally, but they changed it because of rights issues. And thankfully they did!!! I think that happened before they actually announced their show (which they did on Earth Day) so not many people knew of the switch.

Hopefully they get it all figured out!!! We are all tired of cut up CDs and DVDs!

The problem that most frustrates DCP are the infamous sync rights which the Crossmen aren't going to secure (because they aren't pressing DVD's -- DCI has to negotiate those rights because they're selling the video product which has the audio in need of licensing). So while there may very well be no problems with the Xmens proposed repertoire, I'm not sure anyone can definitively say that for now.

Anyway it's another "activist" kind of show for Xmen. Interesting!

Me too. I saw a couple of senior corps have done it before, but I couldn't find a junior corps that had done a full Pink Floyd show. There is so much music that could translate, it's hard to think people haven't picked up on it yet.

There was a high school band that did an all Pink Floyd show and they made BOA Grand Nationals that year (mid to late 1990s). Can't remember the school, but the show was very cool.

Don't really care about protests, politics and such...one reason why their 2012 show didn't resonate with me all that much. But the musical selections are great and if they can come up with a good drill and all the rest to go along with the music I'll probably like this show as much as I liked their last one.

I hope y'all place high this year, Crossmen. Work hard and good luck.

• Like 2

This does not initially appeal to me. It depends on the arrangements and overall production. Seems that unless there is an effort to make this BOA-like, the theme will be hard to

maintain. I don't want a BOA show. I am also curious about music rights as I know many of these tunes to have been denied in the past.

I do understand them not playing jazz however. It is VERY HARD to do outside. Most of our current music judges don't have jazz backgrounds and don't give its inherit difficulty any credit.

Most jazz corps go to doing jazz light (Cadets and Bluecoats are kings of this), letting the drums play back beat while the brass just play loud triplet based figures, but without any true attempt to play the correct style. To my recollection, only BD or Spirit have recently programmed any moment of true jazz and played the style correctly.

Best of luck Crossmen.

Edited by westcoastblue

I know the past couple of years they have had rights issues and just decided to rewrite stuff and change songs. Last year I believe they chose a completely different ballad originally, but they changed it because of rights issues. And thankfully they did!!! I think that happened before they actually announced their show (which they did on Earth Day) so not many people knew of the switch.

Hopefully they get it all figured out!!! We are all tired of cut up CDs and DVDs!

Not quite...

We had another piece picked, and I was uncomfortable with it enough that I suggested "Here Comes The Flood" instead. No sync rights or copyright issues... just a change of heart.

Chuck

• Like 2

Don't really care about protests, politics and such...one reason why their 2012 show didn't resonate with me all that much.

I am very intrique with this theme revolving around " protest " as it is as " American " as apple pie. The Country afterall was founded upon " protest " and ultimate rebellion from perceived "excessive taxation without representation" and other perceived slights of its people by a tyranical government.

I like the music selected. The theme appears to have great potential. When I listened to the trailor it does seem that the staff is taking a decidedly left of center approach on the " protest " theme. Is this accurate ? or might I be mistaken ( its possible ) If its a Left of Center appeal, shouldn't the theme be more accurately described as " Progressive Protest " or " Protest from the Left " ? Just asking mind you, no flame intended, and just curious, thats all.

Or is the theme of " Protest " going to acknowledge the full breadth of political and societal protest that over the years has included protests from both ends of the political spectrum ? For example, we have had " protests " from the Left of center spectrum that has led to the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution ( abolished slavery ), and the 19th Amendment ( woman's right to vote ), and so forth, but we've also had "protest" from the right of center that led to change as well, ie the 2nd Amendment ( right to bare arms ), the 21st Amendment ( abolishes the Left of center driven 18th amendment that prohibited alcohol ), and the 24th Amendment ( abolishes the requirement that poll taxes be paid as a condition of the right to vote ). Fast forward to today, and we have " protest " groups on the Left, ie Occupy Wall Street, Pro Choice, and many others, as well as " protest " groups on the Right, ie Tea Party Movement, Pro - Life, and many others as well. As mentioned " protest " is ingrained in our culture and something to celebrate such diversity. My question is whether the Crossmen staff will be bringing to us the full depth and breadth of the American " protest " movement, or will it be constrained to just the " protest " movements from the Left ? I was just curious, thats all. Whatever they do, I will look at it with fresh eyes and without pre judgment. I think that in the hands of a capable staff this theme... and music... has enormous possibilities, and I'm eagerly awaiting it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

VERY EXCITED about this show!!! Looks like another great one!

On a side note, does that mean that they will "Protest" if they don't win it all? :tongue:

Like I said in the other thread, w/o protest shows, say goodbye to shows like Suncoast's '84 Vietnam show. That would be a huge loss to the DCI vaults.

Looking forward to hearing what the Crossmen do with this. Especially "Goodbye Blue Sky"

but we've also had "protest" from the right of center that led to change as well, ie the 2nd Amendment ( right to bare arms ),

It's a good thing that we have the right to bare arms. Otherwise all those poor drum corps kids would have to wear long sleeved shirts while rehearsing all summer. That would be a real bummer.

smile.gif

• Like 2