Stanford Showdown

Obviously it comes off that way, but my question is sincere. What is being accomplished with BDC? Do people in BDC ever move up into world class corps? The design was worse than most high school marching bands I've seen. It just seems like if you aren't talented enough to do something more than that, then maybe your energy and money is better spent doing something you are more talented at. I just don't see what being in a corps like that would teach you in terms of being a better marching musician.

Anyone picking on children who are in a marching group is either a sociopath or a troll. I'm a nice guy, so I'll assume troll.

PSA: Don't feed the trolls.

I think you're overestimating the average age of the performers in BDC....

How old are they? I thought there was a minimum age requirement. Are the middle school age kids? If so, It makes more sense and I apologize for and retract my comepments. If they are Juniors and Seniors in high school ... I don't really see the point.

Obviously it comes off that way, but my question is sincere. What is being accomplished with BDC? Do people in BDC ever move up into world class corps? The design was worse than most high school marching bands I've seen. It just seems like if you aren't talented enough to do something more than that, then maybe your energy and money is better spent doing something you are more talented at. I just don't see what being in a corps like that would teach you in terms of being a better marching musician.

But "c mor" says the age range is 8-14, so most of these aren't even high school aged kids.

Edit: I saw your retraction. Thanks.

Edited by CrownBariDad

That was my first time seeing/hearing BDC, and I can look at it from a few different directions.

1.) I dig the idea of getting kids involved in drum corps so early. I think that age group is a good target demographic for people who want to make drum corps local again.

2.) They're freaking adorable. Greased Lightning was so cute.

3.) 7/4/6 battery with 16 horns? Why set them up for that kind of challenge with such a young and such a small group?

4.) Why were they on 3rd, after perennial Open Class contenders? I can imagine a few paying customers thinking, "Yeah, they're cute, but I didn't pay $30 for a cute trainwreck." Maybe that's just me.

• Like 2

Are they? I guess they must be having fun ... else why would they do it? I can't comprehend how being in a corps like that would be fun though, to be honest.

To be as blunt as possible, they are children. Yes they are having fun.

Its like asking why pioneer exists even though they know they are going to win at the end of the year, or at the very least ever make finals. (If they dont change themselves)

Its to give youth a chance to play in a drum corps. Pioneer you get world class experience with a WC schedule and going up against WC corps.

The sport isnt all about winning.

• Like 3

dude it's little kids. no prior musical experience required.

edit: I see you didn't know and have retracted your prior statements.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

Scores are in for the Merrillville competition

Madison Scouts - 69.7">Blue Stars - 64.5">Crossmen - 63 Troopers - 59.8>Pioneer - 52.3

Edited by msumello

On site and ready to report!

Even the kids in the lowest of drum corps levels gain life experience from their efforts. That, alone, makes their actions worthwhile.

I suspect you are one of those who, when you go to a regional show like S.A., will only go to watch the top 5 or 6 corps. The rest are not worth your time to see them...and they are wasting their time performing. Am I right?

• Like 2