Based on his own words ... yes, I do. I don't know how else you could interpret what he said. It isn't that uncommon to have an anti-south bias if you live in the northeast. I saw it all the time when I went to school in Virginia. To many northeasterners, southerners are dirty, stupid, and racist. Having spent a lot of time in the South, such stereotypes are not anywhere close to being true.

As for your statement that this is about facilities ... have you seen the pictures of the school? It is brand new and nicer than anything I have seen before. This was about him not getting to practice in the stadium like he wanted to, and lashing out with bigoted comments as a result.

So to admonish GH for the statements he made about the south, you're going to make a stereotypical statement about Northeasterners. I see how this works now. :doh:

• Like 1

So to admonish GH for the statements he made about the south, you're going to make a stereotypical statement about Northeasterners. I see how this works now. :doh:/>/>

Just had the 150th Battle of Gettysburg Anniversary in these here parts.... Local paper has a comments area with the news articles that matches the set up in the original link. Hate to say it but some of the comments from some of the deep south posters matched "north still hates the South" opinion. Telling part was most of the posts were from people who only came up once (for the 150th) or had never been North so going on what "everyone knows to be true".

Now how much of GHs musings and the lashback will become "what everyone knows to be true".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'm not arguing about the conditions for touring corps in the South. I'm sure it's cruddy. But there are good and bad ways to deal with such a situation, and George chose a bad way.

That's the thing though ... they aren't any more cruddy than anywhere else in the country. Some of the nicest high schools and sports facilities in the country are in the south. Do drum corps have access to the nicer ones? I don't have any idea. But it is not accurate to say southern facilities are, as a rule, crummier than facilities in the north or west.

So to admonish GH for the statements he made about the south, you're going to make a stereotypical statement about Northeasterners. I see how this works now. :doh:/>/>

You seem to have a difficult time distinguishing between stereotype and fact. I never made a blanket statement about northeasterners, as Hops did about "the South". I was simply stating the FACT that SOME northeasterners are prejudice against southerners. Just like some southerners are prejudice against yankees and black people. None of it is excusable, but it is ignorant to pretend like it isn't real.

Edited by jasgre2000

Just had the 150th Battle of Gettysburg Anniversary in these here parts.... Local paper has a comments area with the news articles that matches the set up in the original link. Hate to say it but some of the comments from some of the deep south posters matched "north still hates the South" opinion. Telling part was most of the posts were from people who only came up once (for the 150th) or had never been North so going on what "everyone knows to be true".

Now how much of GHs musings and the lashback will become "what everyone knows to be true".

This is like saying most southerners eat fattening food all the time and sit on their porch in rocking chairs drinking mint julip. Obviously we know that's not true. But to say the majority of northerners have a general disdain for the south is untrue, and is not adding to the argument of most of you who are trying to make a martyr of GH.

This thread is going in circles...I'll say this about the south though, you don't see anyone moving up north to retire.

But I know many younger southerners who move up north because they claim the south is boring. Their words. Not mine.

• Like 2

This thread is going in circles...I'll say this about the south though, you don't see anyone moving up north to retire.

Thin blood. Older people move there for the warm temps. Not the school system :tongue:

That's the thing though ... they aren't any more cruddy than anywhere else in the country. Some of the nicest high schools and sports facilities in the country are in the south. Do drum corps have access to the nicer ones? I don't have any idea. But it is not accurate to say southern facilities are, as a rule, crummier than facilities in the north or west.

You're very mistaken.