Booing is not cool at a drum corps show

Its a sport. People boo the officials in EVERY sport when they disagree with their call. God knows i've done my share of booing at college football and basketball games.

And the kids are all old enough to know its aimed at the judges. Hell, even if it was directed at them they should be old enough to take it well enough.

I agree!!!

I am getting tired of posting this but...it's obvious people/fans don't understand that fans have been booing the scores/results from drum corps shows since at least the 1950's. Good or bad...right or wrong....it is part of the activity

• Like 3

I agree!!!

I am getting tired of posting this but...it's obvious people/fans don't understand that fans have been booing the scores/results from drum corps shows since at least the 1950's. Good or bad...right or wrong....it is part of the activity

Let's see here: The Madison Scouts started field competition in 1954, and they have two DCI titles and 1 VFW title iirc. That means (counts on fingers), there's been booing in drum corps for at least 56 years!

• Like 1

I boo michigan because muck fichigan. I do not need any other reason to boo them.

Go BLUE! That is all.

• Like 1

I understand your angst, but please do not engage in booing any anti boo threads, ok ?

The only Drum Corps who gets booed is the Blue Devils..& rightly so. They are the most disliked corps in the activity, & rightly so.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 3

I'll Boo this weekend in Allentown. because I'm trying to get Mike Boo's attention, and yelling Mike doesn't work

• Like 1

Hi. Devil's advocate here. Try to see my point before giving me a -25 rep on this post.

Perhaps DCI shouldn't call this "Marching Music's Major League" then, eh?

And who do most people boo at a sports event? A referee or umpire, right? So my "food for thought" is, the judges can handle it. And frankly, some deserve it sometimes. Although I have not personally booed at a show, I don't disagree when some do voice their displeasure. It's their right. If seats cost $75 or more per show, let them do what they want. If it was $10 and still a "youth activity", fine. But let's call it what it is, shall we. DCI has defined it.

Lastly, I don't think the Blue Devils members really give a crap if people boo the results (obviously, you're referring directly to that). Has it really ever affected the members? If anything, they probably get their motivational jollies from it. Fans pay for the activity to exist. Good, bad, and otherwise.

Just saying.

Seriously? You think a lame marketing slogan justifies rude and boorish behavior? Regardless of whether you buy DCI's overpriced tickets, the people on the field are NOT professionals. They pay a lot of money themselves and work their butts off to be out there for your "entertainment". The least people can do is treat them with a bit of respect.

And don't give me this "we are booing the judges, not the players" B.S. You can't express disapproval for judges without at the same time commenting on the thing they are judging, which is, of course, the players. Judges are not refs, who only enforce neutral rules.

Edited by jasgre2000

Seriously? You think a lame marketing slogan justifies rude and boorish behavior? Regardless of whether you buy DCI's overpriced tickets, the people on the field are NOT professionals. They pay a lot of money themselves and work their butts off to be out there for your "entertainment". The least people can do is treat them with a bit of respect.

And don't give me this "we are booing the judges, not the players" B.S. You can't express disapproval for judges without at the same time commenting on the thing they are judging, which is, of course, the players. Judges are not refs, who only enforce neutral rules.

Yes but are they forced to march for a drum corps? Furthermore, are they forced to march for a corps that is known to be disliked for their shows? They made that choice with their wallets and the crowd is similarly making a choice with theirs. People buy tickets to be entertained, not bored to death. Is booing respectful? No. But it is a way to express disapproval which every person in the crowd has a right to express. However, I do think that if anyone should be booed, it should be BD's designers who continually choose to stick a big middle finger to the audiences that keep them afloat rather than the ADULTS (too many people are calling them kids) who are marching in the corps and judges who are giving their fair assessment of the performance. (Sorry I made this about BD, I don't think any other corps has been booed this year so I used them as an example).

• Like 1

Friends of the drum corps activity:

While attending shows over this past weekend, including Atlanta (and hearing from a number of fans at Charlotte), I'm becoming so turned off by rude fan behavior in booing whenever (name the corps) doesn't place where they want them to place. Folks, this has got to stop!!!

I love it when people say this has got to stop!!

It's obvious this whole thread is borne from confusion...

Folks, they weren't "booing"...they were "Bloooooing"!

Go Bluecoats!

• Like 1