Chat Room for Prelims and Semis!

I highly doubt that. I think they're finished. Their percussion line is going to cost them another title. Really too bad.

Better luck next year.

I wouldn't say "another." It's been a weak spot, but they've had some significant visual problems last couple of years as well.

I would hate to be these guys, from Crown's staff:

Percussion Staff

Zach Schlicher (Caption Supervisor)

Thom Hannum (Percussion Coordinator / Arranger)

Andrew Markworth (Arranger - Front Ensemble / Supervisor)

Ian Hale (Front Ensemble Asst. Supervisor)

Steve Ballard (Front Ensemble Tech)

Mike Bishop (Front Ensemble Tech)

Garret Scharton (Front Ensemble Tech)

Derek Smith (Front Ensemble Tech)

Sharif Mamoun (Snare Tech)

Nick Arce (Tenor Tech)

Eric Kraft (Bass Tech)

Alex King (Bass Tech)

Glenn Crosby (Percussion Consultant)

Chad Wyman (Percussion Staff Coordinator)

The pressure on them for the next 48 hours will be incredible. Your corps has a shot to win its first title ever - and your caption is costing the corps the title. Either they find a way to squeeze another half a point out of that line - or it is over.

It's going to be a long bus ride back to Fort Mill. Heck, if I were them, I wouldn't want to get on the bus.

• Like 1

If the powder gets on the field, I expect it would be a penalty

After further research on my part into this...as much as I feel bad that Boston got accessed a penalty...they clearly violated the rules. I just wish this was pointed out SOONER.

In the DCI 2009 Rulebook (I'm sure there is a more updated version)...under Rule 4.7 Miscellaneous Equipment:

Rule 4.7.3 states: "The use of powders or powder like substances is prohibited on or around the competition field."

edit: They can use water based materials...

"4.7.2 The use of water, or water based materials, is allowed within a drum corps show with the following exception.

If at any time water, or any material comes in contact with the field, causing damage, pooling of water, or if the material would in any way alter the condition of the field, a corps would be penalized no less than .5 and no more than 2.0 points at the discretion of the DCI coordinator or representative of the evening."

Edited by Liahona

In our local circuit a few years back the top group drumline in Scholastic Open was dumb enough to get their floor wet because they practiced outside and it rained. The opened it in the arena, got water everywhere, and were hammered by the T&P judge, who actually didn't give them a big *enough* penalty. Still, cost them the championship and they left the circuit in a huff as a result.

oh i was hoping you wouldn't go there....

:ph34r:/>

basically if anything can leave a residue that can affect other performers, it's a penalty. the rule was changed I think after Patriots did a thing with water, and the list of no-nos that kept getting added on grew

After further research on my part into this...as much as I feel bad that Boston got accessed a penalty...they clearly violated the rules. I just wish this was pointed out SOONER.

In the DCI 2009 Rulebook (I'm sure there is a more updated version)...under Rule 4.7 Miscellaneous Equipment:

Rule 4.7.3 states: "The use of powders or powder like substances is prohibited on or around the competition field."

Why was this not brought up sooner? Did they just start using dust? If this was just added I wouldn't want to be the one who added dust to the show. Boston will come back...They're BAC!

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

If I ruled the world, or at least tonight's scores:

1. Santa Clara Vanguard

2. Carolina Crown

3. Cadets

4. Blue Devils

5. Bluecoats

6. Boston Crusaders

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Cavaliers

9. Madison Scouts

10. Blue Knights

11. Spirit of Atlanta

12. Troopers

13. Blue Stars

14. Crossmen

15. Pacific Crest

Of those fifteen, the only show I hadn't seen before was BD. It was only my second time seeing SCV or Crown. This year I've been trying to watch every show live before seeing it on video (and so I've also avoided video of any DCA corps; they'll all be completely new to me in Annapolis--don't rain, don't rain, don't rain!), and I went to nine different shows in my efforts--about 36 hours' driving.* (I had been seriously contemplating a trip to Finals until I heard about the webcast: the view will be much better than any seat I could hope to get at Indy so late.) The only other corps I missed, out of all 36 who played in Prelims today, was Pioneer.

*Akron, Bowling Green, Pittsburgh (I), Kalamazoo (II), Erie, Avon Lake, Pittsburgh (II), Centerville, and Massillon

Sir, the 1984 Cadets are on the phone for you, they'd like to have a word

who new ballgame now

• Like 1

:ph34r:/>/>

basically if anything can leave a residue that can affect other performers, it's a penalty. the rule was changed I think after Patriots did a thing with water, and the list of no-nos that kept getting added on grew

I think it was Magic that got in trouble for that. They used water in their Pirates of the Caribbean show, and I think the rule changed the year after that.

who new ballgame now

Still had the correct answer to the man's assertion that a corps with a 7th place drumline doesn't deserve a title. Cadets '84 was 7th in drums, and just squeaked by with the title.

:ph34r:/>/>/>/>

Magic 2004

Field was then wet for corps that followed. IIRC Cavies were livid over the conditions at a small show.

Edited by sobe