I KNEW this was coming.

*yawn*

All you're doing is calling these admins stupid, misguided, silly, and dopey.

Any school official that has censored and prevented Band Guards from spinning miniature, wooden toy rifles in their School's Marching Band, insofar as this issue is concerned anyway, are all 4 of these above. Its always refreshing to me when my comments are restated accurately. Bravo, for you getting this one right anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Just curious; and actually serious: How many actual 'wars', as in 'real wars', not pretend wars of performance acting, but 'real wars' have been fought using DCI equipment? How many people have actually been killed by someone shooting someone else with a DCI rifle or murdered using a DCI sabre? Please post the number and we shall see if this 'claim of war implements' is overly PC or not.

• Like 1

What the heck, why should The Cadets stop with the elimination of the rifles and the sabres ?

The Cadets should maybe just be the first Corps to eliminate the DM military salute to the crowd with the serious demeanor of a miliary officer.

Don't even call him or her a "Drum Major"... ( " Major " has militaristic officer connotations ). Just have the " Conductor" come out with a big wide grin and simply wave to the audience. Sort of like a Lil Geoffrey on the podium ( or a female equivalent ), Scrap the Cadets style military style uniform they've had since the 1930's while they're at it. And why even march in step at all ? Isn't marching in step, too military like ? Scrap the " war like " shako with the chin strap... also has vestiges of the military too. Eliminate the name " Corps " as well, as lets be honest the military " Corps " all sometimes hve to go off to " war " too. The Cadets could also sell off all their old trophies won in their earlier years of Championships won at the VFW and American Legion shows, as these organizations too were filled with " war like" people that participated with real rifles and real sabres and real swords in real " wars " not " pretend wars " show themes offered up on a summer show football field. The Cadets could even drop their name, as lets face it, with the current uniforms and the name " The Cadets " people might associate this with " war ", and thats probably a nono, so maybe they should sell off their naming rights and select a " non war like " name for themselves too. The Cadets could go to a neutral, non threatening, non agressive nomenclature for themselves such as " The Kaydettes ", with lots of colors throughout with the marchers attire and twirly thingys they can use as implements of " non war ". The name " uniforms " should likewise be changed as it likewise can connote some level of combat. If we use the phrase for the Kaydettes attire as " costumes " it generally connotes a sense of frivolity and whimsicalness and likewise non agressive, passive behaviors much more in keeping with the non competition combat useage of the phrase " uniforms ".

If the Cadets do these things I see no reason in the world that the Cadets can not become unlike anything they've been for the last 75 years and will be well on their way to distancing themselves from anything at all that might be remotely construed by anyone somewhere as "war like ". So I hope they don't intend to stop just with the elimination of the "war implements" of the rifles and sabres. There is lots and lots other other things they will need to do to separate themselves from all things " war " like in my opinion. But if they put their collective heads together they should be able to fully distance themselves completely from all vestiges of anything with a military bearing at all.

oh brother..over the top?...lol.....jk

with percussion evolving ( the pit ) and many other things...( instrumentation ) it's a reality sooner or later so will guard equipment....OH HEAVEN FORBID.....dont get me wrong I like the equipment we use but not for the throw back reasons...if it's not allowed...and I have seen this happen in a few schools ( zero tolerance of any kind ) well we have to move on now don't we.

I hate to say it but when we have such senseless violence around us, what can we expect...that's unfortunately a reality...I don't want to see it change , but if we need to evolve, than that's what we do. Guard people adapt pretty easily to spinning almost anything...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

Well, that's one way to get rid of the cross-town rivals! :tongue:/>/>/>/>

What are the chances of any school official in West Virginia demanding that the Moutaineers Mascot stop using a REAL Musket at football games, loading it with REAL gunpowder and firing the REAL round into the air several times during all the home football games ? A tradition at this school for close to a century ? With never a complaint from anyone ?

Edited by BRASSO

Who are YOU to tell ME what content belongs on DCP?!?!?

The REAL question is why are you getting so bent out of shape over toy rifles and sabres?!?!?!?!

D@mn it's NOT that serious dude.

• Like 1

The Cadets are selling off their 2013 stuff. No biggie...if you have $789.00, you can buy a tower! ($650.00 for one actually used in shows---I would find this more valuable, but...)

They are also selling guard equipment: the Loop, the Hook, the Bolt. Here's the clincher: "Gone are the implements of war such as the sabre and rifle..."

"Implements of war?" Are you kidding me?

Beneath, they offer an ad selling horns: "Play what the Cadets play." Say somebody buys a tuba and uses it to whack somebody. How could the organization LIVE with itself? (We non-PC, NRA-worshiping, Ted Nugent obeyists always say, "Tubas don't kill people; people kill people.")

Tubas don't kill people, but the sound slays me, man! :cool:

What are the chances of any school official in West Virginia demanding that the Moutaineers Mascot stop using a REAL Musket at football games, loading it with REAL gunpowder and firing the REAL round into the air several times during all the home football games ? A tradition at this school for close to a century ? With never a complaint from anyone ?

Um.... they're blanks. It is a fully functioning weapon, but they do not fire live bullets at games. That would be absolutely ridiculous, since every time a bullet gets shot up, it has to come down somewhere, and I doubt the people of Morgantown want bullets raining down on them at football games, given how often WVU scores. And I know it's fully functioning because their mascot got in trouble for taking it hunting a year or two ago, and shot either a deer or bear with it, I forget.

Same with your example of schools using artillery pieces. Most fire confetti or smoke charges, since firing a live 6/9 inch shell probably isn't the smartest decision in the world.

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 2

Reselling stuff they're not going to use again. DOWN WITH DRUM CORPS!... Or good for them, whatev...

• Like 1