The Entertainment Proposal... The one that didn't pass

No, don't want to argue statistics, but the opposite is true, too. And there are more people at shows east of the Mississippi.

Over time, the moving averages present themselves and can be regressed out of the equation.

If one wants the true answers, that is.

honestly.....if DCI has your info, they should be sent a survey. wide ranging, covering everything we can think of

It is 2014. We have the technology to allow fans to become a part of the judging process. This is exactly what the Drum Corps activity needs to do to help it survive. Let fans vote during shows on their cell phones, similar to the talent shows on TV. Give the fans 5% of the total score. There are all kinds of possibilities...but DCI seems to be afraid to embrace the technology. Shocking.

It is 2014. We have the technology to allow fans to become a part of the judging process. This is exactly what the Drum Corps activity needs to do to help it survive. Let fans vote during shows on their cell phones, similar to the talent shows on TV. Give the fans 5% of the total score. There are all kinds of possibilities...but DCI seems to be afraid to embrace the technology. Shocking.

Probably because they realize how biased and broken that system would be. They tried text voting during TOC a couple of years back, and it was instantly broken. A certain corps from Illinois put the texting number out through their Twitter, and had their followers text votes for them from around the country. And if a corps is at their home show, of course they're going to get biased votes for them. So corps could be having a 5% swing in their score from night to night. Towards the end of the season, that's getting close to 5 points from their score.

• Like 1

you do realize many of the shows on tv are rigged for better dramatic outcome right?

• Like 1

In what other competitive arena are fans allowed to vote on the proficiency of competition entrants? (And I'm not speaking of elections, slam-dunk competitions, etc.) I can't think of any.

I know my view is extremely simplistic, but for the life of me I would not wish for DCI to become American Idol for instruments.

• Like 2

In what other competitive arena are fans allowed to vote on the proficiency of competition entrants?

While I'm not advocating yea or nay on merits of the proposal, the answer to your question is ( just a few that immediately come to mind ): MLB All Star roster selection.... NBA All Star roster selection........ MLB Hall of Fame entry competition.... DCI Hall of Fame entry competition.... NBA Hall of Fame competition selection entry.... Political office competitions at the local, state, national elective office positions ( judging competency and " proficiency " ).... NHL All Star rosters..... Heisman Trophy nominee candidates ( sportswriters are fans, not referees or judging umpires in any games at all ), .... Olympic site selections ( both Summer, Winter site selections )... etc...the list could go on and on, as its a pretty lengthy one in my view in which the public has a vote on ( as you asked )" the competition entrants".

Edited by BRASSO

ah but all star games are fan votes, and often times players with better stats get left off of the roster.

even in the Olympics, a Russian skater was passed over for Plechenko could make the team, and then was denied the chance to be a replacement because plechenko waited until the last minute to drop out

( i left out the political stuff, because based on competency, none of them should ever get re-elected)

While I'm not advocating yea or nay on merits of the proposal, the answer to your question is ( just a few that immediately come to mind ): MLB All Star roster selection.... NBA All Star roster selection........ MLB Hall of Fame entry competition.... DCI Hall of Fame entry competition.... NBA Hall of Fame competition selection entry.... Political office competitions at the local, state, national elective office positions ( judging competency and " proficiency " ).... NHL All Star rosters..... Heisman Trophy nominee candidates ( sportswriters are fans, not referees or judging umpires in any games at all ), .... Olympic site selections ( both Summer, Winter site selections )... etc...the list could go on and on, as its a pretty lengthy one in my view in which the public has a vote on ( as you asked )" the competition entrants".

Thank you for the list, Brasso. However, a good deal of those you mentioned -- especially those of athletic "all star" votings -- are little more than popularity contests based upon by votes from the general populace. Election votes are hardly based on the proficiency of a politician, but rather based on "who says what I like" or "who says what I want to hear." Olympic site selections are based as much, I suspect, on monetary considerations (not to mention which applicant happens to have the greatest influence or "ear" of the highest ranking IOC member). I suppose I live in "La-La land", but am I totally wrong to desire true objectivity? I guess I need to grow up...

I doubt had this passed, that 5,000 people would have signed a petition in 24 hours asking for it to be repealed.

Let's put this in a bit of perspective...

With 400,000 in attendance at DCI events last year, 5,000 people represent about 0.01%.

This does not take in to consideration the significant number of additional viewers that connected via cinema events, Fan Network of viewers of YouTube videos.

5,000 is absolutely insignificant in this context and not even worth acknowledging.

Again, that is 5,000 people who simply lifted a finger to press a button on their computer vs. 400,000 who pulled out their credit card, paid real money to buy tickets and merchandise, got in their cars (some for hours) and drove to the event... paid gas, meals, sometimes lodging... to go see a drum corps show. Others that paid to go to theatre events or subscribed to the Fan Netowork.

5,000 in context of 0.01% is textbook definition squeaky wheel/vocal micro-minority. In actual context it is probable a more realistic 0.006% (5,000/800,000).

Charge people even $1 to voice an opinion and I bet that number would be only around 100 that would actually care enough to pull out their card.

To demonstrate how small of a minority and how little those complainers always spouting about 'voting with their wallet' actually matter... I would be brilliant to see DCI call their bluff.

Create a campaign where people can vote to repeal - 1 user gets 1 vote. To vote, it costs a minimum of $1, but users can contribute up to $10. If they can actually raise $100,000... then the rule is repealed.

Would be genius, actually, as it would settle the point once and for all.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1