Members have changed so why not the activity

Tupac

Has anyone offered any evidence at all that proves that instrumentation changes are the kind of evolution that will help drum corps survive?

In fact, one of the main advocates on this forum for instrumentation changes regularly denies that such changes are intended to boost membership or attendance! When you ask him for proof that amplification or electronics have brought more people to drum corps, he points out that the proposals for those changes never explicitly said that they would increase the numbers. (Although at least one of those proposals does ramble about all the kids in Texas who love their music plugged in.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

:doh::lle:

Unlike that first part, what you say here is actually correct.

And what has changed since then? Having less corps does not make it any wiser to pass rule changes that (as you acknowledge above) favor the well-financed.

(rolls eyes)

you have a lot to learn

and no DCI doesnt favor the well financed... the well financed has the advantage due to their staff choices, etc.

Yes, I remember when people loathed Star of Indiana because of their financing, not realizing that there were countless corps with the same financial ability... Star simply did it better, innovated and changed the activity due to HARD WORK AND GENIUS...not money...

there is no "dci conspiracy" that they sit in a room and decide to pick on one corps over the other... its a very equal requirement... if you cant manage the tour they set out for you, you're not meeting your part of the bargain... its a league .... and part of doing business means fulfilling the contractual agreements which also help your corps stay afloat (which is now more difficult than ever due to the extraordinary costs of this activity)

Baseball has bigger diamonds, new batting rules, new RBI classifications, roster restrictions, touring restrictions...

Baseball also has a salary cap (well, luxury tax), but when that idea was proposed on these forums for corps, oh the outrage that ensued! Dozens of posts from people complaining that it's not fair to compare drum corps to sports.

perhaps you might want to challenge using another comparison or example; this one (sports) is weighted against your plight...then again,its okay, a lot of band people arent familiar with sports & fitness.

You're just out and out trolling at this point, right?

Mike

You're just out and out trolling at this point, right?

Mike

(rolls eyes)... some people are just thin skinned and live in their little bubble of pink frosting cupcakes...LOL

I shoot from the hip, direct and tell it like it is... since when is being objective,honest and direct become "trolling"... oh, wait.. that's the new "American way"... everyone is sensitive and soft....walk on egg shells....

baseball has bigger diamonds, new batting rules, new RBI classifications, roster restrictions, touring restrictions...bats are now weighted differently than they were 30 years ago, the ball is different design, rules about uniforms and field gear,practice,etc.

stadiums are designed for maximum ticket sales (night) and televised rights as well (its all about money, not about the sport and definitely not preserving the sport)...

nascar,nfl fifa (the biggest sport association and organization in the world), etc. have all transformed and evolved....

perhaps you might want to challenge using another comparison or example; this one (sports) is weighted against your plight...then again,its okay, a lot of band people arent familiar with sports & fitness.

BINGO................you finally said it.

baseball has bigger diamonds, new batting rules, new RBI classifications, roster restrictions, touring restrictions...bats are now weighted differently than they were 30 years ago, the ball is different design, rules about uniforms and field gear,practice,etc.

stadiums are designed for maximum ticket sales (night) and televised rights as well (its all about money, not about the sport and definitely not preserving the sport)...

Bigger diamonds???? Must have missed that when they allowed other types of balls to be allowed......

So other than the DH rule what would the average fan notice sitting from his seat?

And if I reading this right, some of those changes came 80-90 years ago.... ball changes for one....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

"If the activity wants to survive...then it needs to evolve"

Having read this in a thousand postings over the years, I still am left wondering -

How does one define "survive"; and how does one define "evolve"?

If 10 corps exist ten years from now, has the activity survived? And what types of changes constitute evolving? Absent any in depth discussion, it just seems to be a trite phrase people throw around.

• Like 4

(rolls eyes)

you have a lot to learn

and no DCI doesnt favor the well financed... the well financed has the advantage due to their staff choices, etc.

Yes, I remember when people loathed Star of Indiana because of their financing, not realizing that there were countless corps with the same financial ability... Star simply did it better, innovated and changed the activity due to HARD WORK AND GENIUS...not money...

there is no "dci conspiracy" that they sit in a room and decide to pick on one corps over the other... its a very equal requirement... if you cant manage the tour they set out for you, you're not meeting your part of the bargain... its a league .... and part of doing business means fulfilling the contractual agreements which also help your corps stay afloat (which is now more difficult than ever due to the extraordinary costs of this activity)

You must bring a lot of baggage to this forum, because I have no idea why you responded to me like this. I did not say anything about:

- loathing Star of Indiana

- DCI conspiracy

- sitting in a room, picking one corps over another

For that matter, I had not even gotten around to giving my opinion on rule changes that favor wealthy corps... only pointing out that whatever the wisdom is, it has not changed over time.

By the way, DCI does not "set out tours for you". Tour scheduling is a collaborative process between DCI and each corps. No corps is forced by DCI into taking on tours that they do not agree to in advance. I cringe when the occasional olde pharte casts such an aspersion here. Certainly was not expecting it from you, being that you are so close to the decision making apparatus of the activity and all.

• Like 1

Evolution usually means change for the better or change to suit ones environment.

But change for the sake of change does not equal evolution IMO.....

And no idea how we can decide what one these changes are....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1