Not Excited - Boredom has Set in

fa87a4aa3343c8063a073e8f11be03b29c8f12e7

I always thought that Bart made more sense then half the Prof. Simpsons in the colleges that parents and their offspring took out loans so that later they could wait on tables and sing or play a trumpet to customers or dazzle French Rrestaurant customers with their ability to speak French so fluently with orders off the menu.

USA Census data from 2012 found the US had 127,000 full time janitors that had 4 year college degrees. Yes, things change, and its scary, weird for a lot of recent grads of late.

Edited by BRASSO

I always thought that Bart made more sense then half the Prof. Simpsons in the colleges that parents and their offspring took out loans so that later they could wait on tables and sing or play a trumpet to customers or dazzle French Rrestaurant customers with their ability to speak French so fluently with orders off the menu.

USA Census data from 2012 found the US had 127,000 full time janitors that had 4 year college degrees. Yes, things change, and its scary, weird for a lot of recent grads of late.

So college is a bad idea now?

And that's Abe Simpson, not Bart.

• Like 2

I think they'd be forced to rebrand... by Corporate sponsors alone. But who knows..;. its pretty clear such a scenario will never happen for us or MLB to have to contemplate a rebranding based upon wholesale radical remake of itself. Its like Plastic Surgery that Celebs have. Most of the time, they couldn't leave being sort of ok in appearance alone.. wrinkles,warts and all.. So they went out and had plastic surgery with a complete makeover, spent lots of dough in the process, then after its all over they look in the mirror and ask the mirror... " what the H did I do to myself ? "Then again I suppose the old Gal was going to eventually croak in time anyway.. so maybe she should have just let nature takes its own course, without the radical attempt of a makeover made in a folly and futle attempt to try and stop Father Time. But.. we can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, so thats that, and we move on to an unknowable future now.

That was an error on my part. It should have ready "minority." Gotta love phones...

No. If you said to me that lots of minor league baseball players don't make the major leagues, but you were drafted, and you asked my advice if going to the minor leagues is a bad idea because of this, do not assume that I woul tell you not to pursue the minor league opportunity nonetheless. Unless, you had a well paying gig lined up, I'd advise you to give the baseball gig a shot to try and make the Bigs. Likewise, there should be nothing in my remarks above that should have you believe that I said here that " college is a bad idea ".

I must admit that I have little exposure with TV cartoons and such to quickly identify if its Abe or Bart Simpson depicted above. So I'll defer to you on this. Bart's sister is named Jessica, though, correct ?

Edited by BRASSO

This thread has devolved into something silly. Surprise, surprise. Just the way some things go around here sometimes I guess.

I believe that there's a growing circle of experts and analysts who opine that college is not universally a good idea. It really depends on the major.

The STEM ( Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) majors are encourage and the arts and English literature are discouraged if one wants to make enough money to live. This is largely due to student loan debt and the crisis that may soon come in that sector.... I know, off topic, but it is information to stimulate the synapses...

So maybe Brasso has that in the back of his mind? ...and it is fair to mention because this is what I thought of when I read the post.

Edited by jjeffeory

So maybe Brasso has that in the back of his mind? ...and it is fair to mention because this is what I thought of when I read the post.

I have to admit that I often don't know whats in the back of my mind, as the front is all I can barely handle as it is. ' Been that way since kindergarden, I believe.

• Like 1

We're still on the name thing? Guys, it's not changing. It's drum and bugle corps. It was then. It is now. It will continue to be. Deal or quit.

I would not be so sure about that.

After making change after change for the stated purpose of aligning more with band, if DCI decides to add woodwinds as well, then at that point it would make perfect sense to start calling it "marching band" as yet one more change to further the alignment. They wasted no time clinging to terms like "soprano" or "contrabass" once the Bb trumpets and tubas were introduced.

As many have pointed out, it is up to the leaders of DCI what to call themselves. If they find it beneficial to refer to themselves colloquially as "marching bands", they will. If they become convinced that a full renaming/rebranding is an investment that will pay off, they will do that too. (Besides, they will need something else to change once there are no more instrument changes left.)

After making change after change for the stated purpose of aligning more with band, if DCI decides to add woodwinds as well, then at that point it would make perfect sense to start calling it "marching band" as yet one more change to further the alignment. They wasted no time clinging to terms like "soprano" or "contrabass" once the Bb trumpets and tubas were introduced.

As many have pointed out, it is up to the leaders of DCI what to call themselves. If they find it beneficial to refer to themselves colloquially as "marching bands", they will. If they become convinced that a full renaming/rebranding is an investment that will pay off, they will do that too. (Besides, they will need something else to change once there are no more instrument changes left.)

YES!

This is exactly why it's now time to have a discussion like this. All the familiar labels don't quite fit, some are even a bit negative to lots of people. With all the rapid changes, and the likelihood the changes are not about to stop, it's time to try a more generic, yet fresh and appealing, category that refers to what only DCI can provide. Unique is good!

Edited by Fred Windish

your last paragraph is true ,,,I dont think there's an argument there...just as you say if they want to call themselves Marching bands ...fine....BUT , and heres where SOME have an issue is they can also remain to call themselves DRUM CORPS......but as you say THEY will decide for themselves.