Controversy in WGI and DCI

Actually, I just verified on the WGI site that the show was called "Images of India." It wasn't called Kama Sutra. It actually won the Independant World championships that year by two points over the nearest competitor.

yes and the floor was a bunch of eyes..very cool...and again sexy and a great show........as jeff said GAME OVER.....actually its been over for 12 years.....nothing like staying up with the times with a few...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

But that show was called what and based on what? A 'Sexual Position' book called Kana Sutra that is what; and that subject of Sexual Positions, no matter how artistically portrayed, is what is being debated as acceptable or objectionable. Game not over.

From Wikipedia:

"Contrary to popular perception, especially in the western world, Kama sutra is not just an exclusive sex manual; it presents itself as a guide to a virtuous and gracious living that discusses the nature of love, family life and other aspects pertaining to pleasure oriented faculties of human life."

From Wikipedia:

"Contrary to popular perception, especially in the western world, Kama sutra is not just an exclusive sex manual; it presents itself as a guide to a virtuous and gracious living that discusses the nature of love, family life and other aspects pertaining to pleasure oriented faculties of human life."

True. It has various chapters including Amorous Advances, Acquiring a Wife, Duties and Privileges of a Wife, Other Men’s Wives, Courtships, etc… And this will shock a few, as an adult I have read through the English translation in its entirety. But I would not present any of its concepts in the design of youth musical program.

I have read many here citing the adult connection within cartoons and children’s programing. Watch the original Warner Brothers cartoons, or the original Pink Panther, or especially the original version of the Muppet Show and you shall see many, many, many things geared toward adult intellect and adult humor. But they were not written within the manner anywhere close to the so-called ‘adult video store’ material. An adult could set down with a child with those programs, be intellectually stimulated with adult humor that went over a child’s head while the child was engaged with the action and story line. That was what made those shows brilliant; they appealed to a higher level of adult communication while also appealing to a child. Compare that to any episode of the cartoon South Park where the adult humor is the ‘adult video store’ material.

South Park is 'adult video store material'??? Hardly.

However, it IS not a cartoon aimed at 10-year-olds. Why do you even compare Warner Bros cartoons to South Park? You are 100% correct that those older cartoons are wonderful, but 100% wrong in trying to equate them to SP.

On the subject of age appropriateness and the Kama Sutra, positions should probably come with ratings that impart the age at which they become too difficult to perform.

Say what you will about controversy, but the mildly controversial nature of this thread caused me to hang around long enough to learn a little about Winter Guard.

• Like 2

Did Tony Schlecta back down after Bobby Hoffman told him that?

Oh, we competed and made finals. He couldn't really keep us out. And what is funny, the rank and file of VFW folks at the Orange bowl gave us an amazing reaction when we formed the Peace Sign and pushed to the stands.

On the subject of age appropriateness and the Kama Sutra, positions should probably come with ratings that impart the age at which they become too difficult to perform.

I'm really not concerned with the Indians, Kama Sutra, provided the other guy on the other end of the phone line from Calcutta I was referred to can fix my computer. If he can fix my computer, he and his lover can try out 283 positions in an hour if they want, I don't care. I just don't want to spend an hour on the phone with some guy from Calcutta that after an hour can't fix the freaken computer.

Edited by BRASSO

South Park is 'adult video store material'??? Hardly.

However, it IS not a cartoon aimed at 10-year-olds. Why do you even compare Warner Bros cartoons to South Park? You are 100% correct that those older cartoons are wonderful, but 100% wrong in trying to equate them to SP.

Warner Brothers is a way to show that the intellect and humor aimed at adults, which was brilliant by the way, within a cartoon does not have to be guttural adult humor like that of South Park. Thus the contrast of the two was made.

Biggest issue I have with WGI shows is that people cheer at every little thing that happens. Some shows thrive on the subtlety and silence, but it gets covered up by kids going "Woo!" every time a toss is caught. Case in point, Onyx 2010. The "Sleeping Giant" show. Beautifully done, and a study in silence as a tool. But a lot of the moments got diluted by people cheering through the whole thing.

• Like 1