Blue Devils 2014 Thread

Kinda wanted to drop by and say I'm really liking Devils this year. Been waiting for a while for a Devils show I could stand behind. I'm not saying the shows for the past few years were bad, quite the contrary..just look at the scores...they just didn't really interest me as much as they had prior to 2007. I saw a video today of their show and I gotta say I really enjoyed it...and not just some parts....ALL of it. I absolutely love Crown but was so angered when I posted something somewhere that I loved both Crown and Devils show this year equally and was told you can only like one of the other. Why is that? I don't know why more fans can't be like the members of the corps themselves. From what I hear they get along just fine and root for each other, they don't need to bring the other down. Well......anyways ....welcome back Devils....you made my day and I'll definitely be rooting for you both come finals

Thank you for dropping by and lending your support. It is great that you love both corps and I agree- this BD show this year is thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. I love all the corps- I'm a Blue Devil parent, yes, but also a huge drum corps fan and am so grateful for the opportunities my kiddo has been offered by this activity and the wonderful friends he has made because of it. It is where it is because of ALL the corps, and what they have to offer and it makes me quite sad that someone would tell you that you must choose which one to love between BD and Crown. Please do try to ignore that. I have a kabillion pictures of my child in his uniform hugging and smiling with kids of all manner of other uniforms- at least 4 other kids from Crown just last year. My hope is that fans will see this and follow suit but unfortunately, that's not always the case. It makes the kids sad, yes, but thankfully it doesn't rub off on them and they still do what they love and have a great brother/sisterhood across the lines. It is very endearing. :-)

• Like 1

Per their instagram, seems like they've made some major changes to their second part of the show. Removed 40 counts and redid drill.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, so forgive me if this has been offered already.

I just watched BD's fan network performance, and it seems that the pacing of the show is REALLY slow for a BD show. Drill develops slowly, feet are moving slowly.

Musically, I'm loving it.

• Like 1

Someone please explain to me what is so great about this show... I'm really having a difficult time finding a melody. And if they decide to march instead of jazz step and walk everywhere, that's would be great too.

Another year, more disappointment

I don't know really how to explain it.......All I can say however, is that ..though I'm not proud of it....the last four or five years I have really, I mean really disliked BD's shows....and I have been huge Crown supporter....but this show just grabs me...it's one that reminds me of the Devils I grew up with through the late 90's-00's. Though there are props, they seem to move around them easily without any major collisions or miss steps....the energy those kids on the field makes it pretty clear they are enjoying themselves, and when the crowd enjoys it too, it's just confirmation of their success and work even harder ...almost acting as the fans reward for the appreciation they are showing the corps....the brass sound is very nice, even powerful..There are a whole bunch of little snippets of different genre's of music throughout the whole show, jazz, classical, modern, etc. With all those different elements I would expect their marching techniques to change and match the moods they are trying to portray. The melody may be a bit hard to recognize at the moment, give it time. I've seen a lot of other shows from other corps, Crown, Troopers, Crossmen, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, and it's kind of hard to detect the melodies, but they will evolve and strengthen over the next few weeks. By the time August rolls around much will have changed and it may seem like a totally different corps is on the field.

Of course this is just IMO, but I will say 2014 BD have reminded me of why I first started to love BD years ago, and will be rooting for them and Crown equally.

For the first time in years I really want to like this show... I mean REALLY want to, but it's just not happening.

I don't know really how to explain it.......All I can say however, is that ..though I'm not proud of it....the last four or five years I have really, I mean really disliked BD's shows....and I have been huge Crown supporter....but this show just grabs me...it's one that reminds me of the Devils I grew up with through the late 90's-00's. Though there are props, they seem to move around them easily without any major collisions or miss steps....the energy those kids on the field makes it pretty clear they are enjoying themselves, and when the crowd enjoys it too, it's just confirmation of their success and work even harder ...almost acting as the fans reward for the appreciation they are showing the corps....the brass sound is very nice, even powerful..There are a whole bunch of little snippets of different genre's of music throughout the whole show, jazz, classical, modern, etc. With all those different elements I would expect their marching techniques to change and match the moods they are trying to portray. The melody may be a bit hard to recognize at the moment, give it time. I've seen a lot of other shows from other corps, Crown, Troopers, Crossmen, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, and it's kind of hard to detect the melodies, but they will evolve and strengthen over the next few weeks. By the time August rolls around much will have changed and it may seem like a totally different corps is on the field.

Of course this is just IMO, but I will say 2014 BD have reminded me of why I first started to love BD years ago, and will be rooting for them and Crown equally.

Oh well Newseditor44, I guess you are destined to dislike BD yet again this year. I saw them at Stanford and loved them, but different strokes etc...

Idk if this has been brought up yet, but there's a pit part that sounds identical to a part from a past show (Godfather:Part Blue, maybe?) and I can't for the life of me figure out what it's from. It's around the 7:40 mark on the Stanford video.

I posted this in the Glendora thread, and thought I'd give it a shot here!

To start off, I have enjoyed the brass book played by BD for the past decade! They play so well with how abstract the themes and how dissonant the music! The second movement of their show this year is by far one of the most beautiful they've fielded in years. It is so smooth and luscious that I can listen to it over and over and never get tired of it.

That being said, there are some visual things coming from the color guard while moving those stages into a "run way" on the 45 yard line. So mind you while this amazing piece of music is taking place, there is a male color guard member so awkwardly walking on this stage that it completely took ruins this piece. What is this? Is there a reason this drunkard is on the stage? What are they going for? Is it some nuance to one of Fellini's movies? All I see is a person who just suffered a stroke stumbling from back hash to the front sideline over 60 seconds.

The thing that kept going through my head was this and only this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRtlkcQ6brE

• Like 1