Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

It's not just Massillon but almost all this year's TOC shows that switch out at least one of last year's top seven for an alternate group.

Please share. Lol. Not friends with him.

Shortly after the Narration argument on this thread Hop posted this on his facebook:

RECAP ...

"For fans and non fans ..

In a way, what we do challenges the adjudication process. Narration as in the original Lincoln Portrait is crucial. There are times we purposefully "get out of the way" so that the narration leads the viewer through the story.

The narration ... and tapes sequences are critical to success.

And this is an adjustment for folks because there is NOTHING about our program that is not intended to be viewed and listend to ...

There is a logic ( I would like to think )

SP ..

what happend

> we played well ...

> we marched well ...

> the guard did their best performance to date ...

It's show #2 ...

and we have lots of work to do beginning tomorrow.

Congrats Cadets

Oh ... and I will never watch the corps from a 7th floor press box again !!!!"

Are the judges allowed to say to a corps, "What you're doing may be essential to the source material but just doesn't work in drum corps"?

Thats easy to answer :

Money. ( Although for accuracy sake, you won't have to wait " until Tuesday ")

Holding scores back probably means a few more people in national attendance at the theatres tomorrow nite and more fannies in those national theatre seats naturally means more money for DCI.

I think you're right that DCI might think that. But I think it's naive. I don't think for a second that folks will attend the theater show due to intrigue.

I think more interest if the scores were announced last night and Bloo was in striking distance of the top two.

Are the judges allowed to say to a corps, "What you're doing may be essential to the source material but just doesn't work in drum corps"?

"What you're doing may be essential to the source material but just doesn't work in my interpretation of drum corps."

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

They can infer it by being more specific to the show and not generalizing by saying narration just doesn't work.

In fact, I love the Cadets narration, and so do A LOT OF PEOPLE. I think the show is brilliant!! So I think it's important for everyone here to be careful when making sweeping statements like "narration doesn't work."

In your opinion it doesn't work, and in others it does. This is the beauty of drum corps. Diversity. Why would we want to change that? Why would we say to all the drum corps "Only please this kind of fan and not this other kind of fan?" Or why would be tell fans "only expect one kind of entertainment and if it's not your cup of tea...well too bad?

I think each fan will get something out of a drum corps show, and there should NEVER be any guarantee that every corps will please you. We all have different tastes. In the end, we all win because the unbound and unrestricted creativity can win out, and that ultimately paves the way for the best and most diverse drum corps experience.

• Like 2

There are bunched panties aplenty in this thread.

No.

Now, one can certainly think that what is happening from a narration standpoint isn't working for the *concept* or *theme* of the show and comment on that.

• Like 1

Still think that 43 second clip sounds like some very good synth help.

It's absolutely an electronic effect. It's just a #### good one. In fact, from what I've seen on runthrough videos, Coats are doing the best job I've ever seen of incorporating their electronic effects into their show in a complimentary way. It's really very good.

I did notice George Hopkins' Facebook post, and in as is often the case, he can be persuasive as well as adamant about his choices. In general I am not a fan of narration, but as one poster mentioned, it is not new. I know some people found it "glaring" but I have found that in some venues the narration works better than in other venues.

I will withhold my judgment about whether narration does or does not work in Cadets show until I see it on the big screen tomorrow (love my iPad but it does have limitations), but the claim it is "essential" is questionable. Simply by arranging the piece for drum corps we are eliminating one essential element--a symphony orchestra. Also Cadets are not the first corps to use "A Lincoln Portrait" and I can't recall narration in the past. My guess is that by the end of the season, it will work. People critiqued Crown last year for narration and Bluecoats in 2012, but in both shows it seemed natural at the end of the season.

Edited by Tim K