Instauration in Indy: 6/18

Considering how much the corps have to travel, I think it's good that they're putting the corps members first. I think we can live without one encore.

I'm not buying it. 4 of the 5 are just going to Chicago 2 hours away. I'll bet many of the people at the show were driving farther. And they gain an hour to boot. Cadets are traveling the farthest, but it's not the farthest they'll go this year, and they have no show tomorrow. FlamMan is right. Rather weak start for a season opener in DCI's home town...especially for a show that was done by 10:15 or so.

And it doesn't take a genius meteorologist to see that, here in OH, the corps is probably going to get a little extra shut eye anyway. Lots of rain tomorrow.

Edited by jordsterr

For the people who that is their only show, an encore is nice.

That's one thing I really miss. Well, I miss full retreat and corps playing themselves off. If they do away with encore, it's just one step closer to being a regular marching band show instead of a spectacular.

Based on your desire, Cadets would have had to do an encore tonight after a one hour delay? There's logistics in play, comfort for the audience and the drum corps. Safe travels.

edit: 2 posts in 1 thread in 1 night oh my i've over stayed my stay not a forum type hugs work hard get it have fun;)

Edited by lindap

Based on your desire, Cadets would have had to do an encore tonight after a one hour delay? There's logistics in play, comfort for the audience and the drum corps. Safe travels.

edit: 2 posts in 1 thread in 1 night oh my i've over stayed my stay not a forum type hugs work hard get it have fun;)

Yup. It's another performance for them and it's what we did back in the day too, so it's not cruel punishment or something. It's just something that has been socially changed in the DCI world over the last many years.

Thoughts after watching them all again. My un professional, meaningless, personal thoughts. All they are, take them with a grain of salt!

Troopers - GREAT brass sound, agree with the comments that they sounded better than the Cavaliers. You could totally tell that was a Rennick drum book, great writing and they performed VERY well! Guard seemed better than last year as well, loved the color scheme and silks overall, maybe a bit of a yellow overload, but not bad. That said, where was the theme? If you wouldn't have told me what the title was I would have had no idea what was going on until "Battle Hymn" and" America the Beautiful" showed up. Arranging was great, drill was solid, but I'm at a loss as to what the show was about. Going to need more theme development and going to need to clean up the feet quite a bit to make finals, not out of the question though. Liked last years show quite a bit more, that was special.

Cavaliers - I watched their webcast this previous weekend, and their brass did NOT sound like that, weather, first show jitters, whatever it was, I wasn't expecting that, they were much stronger this previous weekend. The show did seem unfinished visually, I hate it when corps come out without show silks, the visual impact is just NOT there, I think that'll help some to make it pop visually when they get those. That said, I think the design is about a billion times better than last year, and miles ahead of Phantom, which I will get to in a moment. Color guard and drums were PHENOMENAL! I think the "Danse Macabre" drum feature has the potential to be one of those moments come season end, Marimbas in this section, the whole show, and front ensemble in general were OUT OF THIS WORLD! (Sorry Crown). I thought the "When I am Laid in Earth" ballad was GORGEOUS! The closer, seems like it has some rewrites coming, not quite up to par with the rest of the show, it feels rushed and doesn't develop. I would't count these guys out, the design is there. Once the brass starts clicking and they add the finishing touches I think this will be a really neat show.

Phantom Regiment - Going to try and be nice here. Least favorite of the night by quite a bit, I had to go back and watch them a third time to remember what they did. They didn't perform half bad, pretty nice actually, but the show is a tank in my eyes, it felt really REALLY disjointed. Section, dirty drum feature, section, dirty drum feature, ect. Brass was noticeably better than the Cavaliers, Guard was not quite as good as Cavaliers in my eyes, and the drums were pretty dirty. The first uniform was VERY noisy to the eyes, the drill definitely didn't pop without the white, it was hard to read because of all the contrast in the uniforms. Uniform change was not as effective as I thought it would be, anticlimactic. I felt there was a HUGE conflict, and not in a good way, between what was going on visually and what was going on musically in the closer, music was almost happy and uplifting, meanwhile you have the all black corps, all black guard, and menacing flags. I'm sorry, that closer was almost painful to watch from a design standpoint. I'm not saying this show is a lost cause, but they have a long ways to go if they want to salvage it. You never know, it's happened before. What bothered me is it just did NOT seem like Phantom, if I didn't know what corps it was, Phantom wouldn't have came to mind. I will say the drill wasn't bad and the guard silks were actually pretty beautiful. We'll see Phantom, performance is what kept you above Cavaliers tonight, won't stay like that though if you don't fix things.

The Cadets - Surprise of the night, actually was almost my favorite show! The field was SO CLEAN in comparison with Crown, it didn't feel cramped, cluttered, and over designed, which I will get to. Drill read much better tonight than the other night with the webcast. Brass, WOW, Guard, BEAUTIFUL, Drums, HOLY ####. They have the talent in all sections to win. I enjoyed the show, I thought it was their best use of narration, and it was just a nice Cadets Americana show, nothing new, but what's wrong with that? I'm not sure if this show has the kind of gas to get it a championship, while it was strong, I dunno, just had a weird feeling. Top 3? ABSOLUTELY, but it doesn't ring off as championship worthy, yet. You never know. Favorite visual program of the night, guard was BEAUTIFUL! Those Blue outfits looked amazing against the corps proper, and the silks were beautiful! Stage in comparison to Crown wasn't as big of a deal to me. They need to utilize it more and make it work, but it wasn't awful.

Carolina Crown - Love these guys, seeing them last year pre-season knowing they were going to win was something special. I haven't gotten that vibe here yet. I think it is championship worthy, but it's missing something. That magic that you can't put your finger on. Love the intro, Interstellar is solid, drum feature is nice, ballad is BEAUTIFUL, closer is amazing, but there's that continuity and weaving together factor that isn't just there yet. Brass was amazing, guard was great, and even though drums are improved, .1 within Cadets? Don't think so, not yet. Find that magic Crown, I know it's in you! Now onto what I'm not a fan of, this was ESPECIALLY highlighted after Cadets beautifully crisp visual performance, the field looks messy and they looked crammed in there. There's so much stuff, and there's certain points in the visual design that I think are seriously affected by the stuff, one being the arc S in the impact in the ballad, both ends of that form are shoved right up against a trampoline, and the guard is just crammed up in the left hand corner between the brass and the trampolines. I think Visual GE is going to suffer here. I really hope they have some stuff planned for the trampolines, because right now, in my eyes, they are hindering them. Not a lot, but if you want to be champion you can't afford that.

Here's how I saw the spreads, I agree with placements:

Troopers

5.5 Points

Cavaliers

1 Point

Phantom Regiment

5 points (This one was wacky to me).

Carolina Crown

1 Point

The Cadets

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Yup. It's another performance for them and it's what we did back in the day too, so it's not cruel punishment or something. It's just something that has been socially changed in the DCI world over the last many years.

Encore depended on weather and logistics after the show. DM only retreats were here and there. Full retreats were planned or cancelled based on weather but he DM would always have to be there.

Considering how much the corps have to travel, I think it's good that they're putting the corps members first. I think we can live without one encore.

Drum Corps members dont need to be babied. Corps traveled more BITD, the season was longer, & we did just fine with a full retreat every night.

This was OPENING NIGHT! There should be a full corps retreat, fireworks, the whole deal. How is it that DCI doesnt plan a major blowout for their opening night?

No wonder people dont stick around for scores anymore.

Edited by FlamMan

This thread is mentally hilarious.

That's DCP, right? :tounge2:

Cadets were great, their guard was the highlight of the night for me, they looked beautiful against the Cadets uniform, as a visual guy who loves a great color scheme, they looked phenomenal. Looking forward to what they do the rest of the season.

Edited by DrumManTx

That's DCP, right? :tounge2:

Cadets were great, their guard was the highlight of the night for me, they looked beautiful against the Cadets uniform, as a visual guy who loves a great color scheme, they looked phenomenal. Looking forward to what they do the rest of the season.

I think I saw on Hop's Facebook page that the guard will be having three separate costumes...