Instauration in Indy: 6/18

Can someone explain to me why there was no brass judge tonight? I dont understand this at all.

I watched the Indy show tonight on the Fan Network. First off, let me say that the live streams on the FN are low rent, terrible productions. Terrible sound, have to listen to the echo of the stadium announcer, & way too much dead air with no one talking. Just terrible. DCI should be ashamed of the FN streams. Very disapointing. Then again, $69 is a good deal for 12 webcasts & I only had a few hiccups tonight.

As far as the corps go, here is my short take:

Troopers: Probably my favorite show of the night. Enjoyable music & a much better corps than I expected. I actually had them in 4th beating the Cavies.

Cavies: There wasnt anything that I liked, & the horn line is terrible, especially the Sopranos. Troopers sounded better & were more prepared. I dont think this show places much hiogher than 9th place at finals.

Phantom: Put me to sleep. Just too boring. I like the opening uniforms, hate the change unis. Ye gads! I thought PR was at least 5 points better than Cavies.

Cadets: I love the uniforms & the traditional military approach...well, except for the narration, which there is just waaaay too much of. This show didnt grab me liked I hoped it would, & their arrangement of one of my favorite drum corps classics of all time, Appalachian Spring, missed the mark for me. I was hoping they would play it like the original. Drum line is unreal as uaual. I could watch & listen to Garfields Snare line all day.

Carolina Crown: The uniforms look ridiculous. Why oversized Shakos? Who thinks they actually look good? They look like little kids. The Trampolines arent worth the trouble for what little use they actually get. Waaaay too much crap on the field for my tastes. This show will need changes to compete in August. I had Garfield beating Crown tonight & I'm glad they did.

5 shows & the Troopers was the only one that I really liked.

Lastly, they showed a shot of the crowd after Crown performed while the guy from the National Guard was singing God Bless America, & the crowd was filing out of the stadium like I have never seen...before scores were announced. Do fans not even stick around for scores anymore? I realize there is less to stay for since DCI took all the excitement out of retreat & the announcing of the scores, but geez.

At least we werent subjected to listening to Brandt Crocker tonight!

• Like 2

Can someone explain to me why there was no brass judge tonight? I dont understand this at all.

I watched the Indy show tonight on the Fan Network. First off, let me say that the live streams on the FN are low rent, terrible productions. Terrible sound, have to listen to the echo of the stadium announcer, & way too much dead air with no one talking. Just terrible. DCI should be ashamed of the FN streams. Very disapointing. Then again, $69 is a good deal for 12 webcasts & I only had a few hiccups tonight.

Troopers: Probably my favorite show of the night. Enjoyable music & a much better corps than I expected. I actually had them in 4th beating the Cavies.

Cavies: There wasnt anything that I liked, & the horn line is terrible, especially the Sopranos. Troopers sounded better & were more prepared. I dont think this show places much hiogher than 9th place at finals.

Phantom: Put me to sleep. Just too boring. I like the opening uniforms, hate the change unis. Ye gads! I thought PR was at least 5 points better than Cavies.

Cadets: I love the uniforms & the traditional military approach...well, except for the narration, which there is just waaaay too much of. This show didnt grab me liked I hoped it would, & their arrangement of one of my favorite drum corps classics of all time, Appalachian Spring, missed the mark for me. I was hoping they would play it like the original. Drum line is unreal as uaual. I could watch & listen to Garfields Snare line all day.

Carolina Crown: The uniforms look ridiculous. Why oversized Shakos? Who thinks they actually look good? They look like little kids. The Trampolines arent worth the trouble for what little use they actually get. Waaaay too much crap on the field for my tastes. This show will need changes to compete in August. I had Garfield beating Crown tonight & I'm glad they did.

Lastly, they showed a shot of the crowd after Crown performed while the guy from the National Guard was singing God Bless America, & the crowd was filing out of the stadium like I have never seen...before scores were announced. Do fans not even stick around for scores anymore? I realize there is less to stay for since DCI took all the excitement out of retreat & the announcing of the scores, but geez.

what i got out of this

New drum corps sucks we need to go back to the 80s.

yes?

• Like 6

WOW Cadets! I can't wait to see the show on monday night in theaters. Great job folks! I was very impressed with crown's product in their broadcast as well. This is going to be another horse race to the finish I feel. It pains me to be a '13 age out. We'll have to see what comes from the West Coast, but the East Coast is showing up to play for sure!

From what I can understand, it is a way to save DCI $$. Less judges at early shows = less money paying out for first/early reads when shows are either unfinished or really far from fully developed. I think they rotate what captions are left off the sheets, so I think brass won't always get the shaft in favor of percussion (and the other two vis. captions).

I realize there is less to stay for since DCI took all the excitement out of retreat & the announcing of the scores, but geez.

I've always thought sitting around for 40 minutes while people filed in to a stadium at 90 bpm using the yardlines as ranks, then listening to scores get announced, then the dm coming forward for each group,etc, etc, etc, was long, overdone, and boring as heck.

WOW Cadets! I can't wait to see the show on monday night in theaters. Great job folks! I was very impressed with crown's product in their broadcast as well. This is going to be another horse race to the finish I feel. It pains me to be a '13 age out. We'll have to see what comes from the West Coast, but the East Coast is showing up to play for sure!

For sure! I think this will be another exciting season, with possibly three corps gunning for 1st, and maybe trading wins back-and-forth!

I've always thought sitting around for 40 minutes while people filed in to a stadium at 90 bpm using the yardlines as ranks, then listening to scores get announced, then the dm coming forward for each group,etc, etc, etc, was long, overdone, and boring as heck.

I will say that my opinion regarding retreat changed the longer I marched. But it definitely had a certain charm. That said, I kind of like having an encore before the numbers. Why no encore tonight?

Leading up until tonight I was most excited for Phantom Regiment's Swan Lake. I've fallen in love with the ballet and have spent hundreds of hours of score study with the ballet. I have to say after seeing the show on the field (not just the music in the parks) I'm heartbroken. I can't even begin to describe how devestated I am at the design of the show. The biggest disappointment for me is the music book. Third time is not a charm. It's time to sack Hill.

This has been said but I'll reiterate it: the people who call for the sacking of a staff member are really off base and uncalled for. Who are you to call for the firing of someone who is putting genuine hours of work into a show? Not only that, but you're also disrespecting the judgement of the corps. I would think a corps would be smart enough to realize when something is not working out and take action. I hope you know that it's pretty easy to point fingers and blame people you've never met before and that Hill is an actual person. Don't let your disappointment cloud your better judgement and make you come off as a fool.

REALLY?

That was kinda over the top for me. What I got out of this was that you like to complain about EVERYTHING. While I may agree with some things you've said, the delivery was terrible. C-

• Like 7

Well then there's the part where they play themselves off the field in reverse order of placement. ....with MUSIC.... That part doesn't suck.

• Like 2