Why do You Stay?

My main interest is in those that think the activity is dead, is glorified marching band, and that it is awful. Why do those that think it is so far gone beyond repair and their enjoyability, still like to stir up hell about it even though they are so disgusted?

Because trolling is fun to them. If you notice, the trolls that hate modern day DCI with the heat of a thousand suns almost without exception make one appearance, usually with a thread start, then take a dump on here, then disappear. My guess most of them don't go to shows anymore, and perhaps a lot of them havn't been to a DCI show in years. But the know of this site, hate the direction DCI has taken, so they come here to vent their frustration and anger, pissoff the current fans, then quickly disappear for a one time reappearance next yrear or the year after on here. Thats my sense of it, anyway.

• Like 1

Because trolling is fun to them. If you notice, the trolls that hate modern day DCI with the heat of a thousand suns almost without exception make one appearance, usually with a thread start, then take a dump on here, then disappear. My guess most of them don't go to shows anymore, and perhaps a lot of them havn't been to a DCI show in years. But the know of this site, hate the direction DCI has taken, so they come here to vent their frustration and anger, pissoff the current fans, then quickly disappear for a one time reappearance next yrear or the year after on here. Thats my sense of it, anyway.

the sky is falling................I agree :poke: maybe a little passion thrown in also

Edited by GUARDLING

LOL - Where else? Seriously for various reasons (personal, activity changes and travel logistics) do not go to Jr shows anymore. But still care about the activity and hope it survives. Also interested in what is going on within the activity. Kinda like someone who doesn't go to their old schools sporting events but still checks the scores or standings during the season and buys the stuff the boosters are selling.

Real fun comparing my day and Sr side to today and Jr side. Personally like talking with people I disagree with too as only way to learn anything. Hell if you only tak to people yo agree with all you get is "yeah... me too..." which is boring.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

talking with people I disagree with too as only way to learn anything. Hell if you only tak to people yo agree with all you get is "yeah... me too..." which is boring.

Amen, Brother.

• Like 2

Watching this forum over the years, it seems like the amount of threads getting derailed and threads about the decline of drum corps is as high as ever. There's some good discussion that goes on in some instances, and some great points made. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and I fully respect that, this thread isn't an attack against any of those people. I'm just, curious?

I have been wondering this for awhile, and just thought I'd get it out there.

Why do you stay, follow, and comment on the activity? Some people have such disgust for what goes on, what it is becoming, and where it is going, that I wonder what keeps them coming back? There's obviously something there, or you wouldn't care and raise hell about it all. There's SOMETHING that you like. I know it.

I just want a simple, as short as possible answer. That's all. It's gonna happen, but please don't argue with each other, shoot down everyone's post because yours is better blah blah. Such a stupid and pointless request, I know. I'm just interested, especially in the ones that think all is lost, why do you keep following the activity?

Hope for that one incredible moment that makes it all worthwhile. This year, it's Bluecoats' show.

I don't consider myself a DCI basher, but I would be considered 'old' and am unhappy with some changes. I would think even the MOST CRITICAL AND VOCAL complainers would answer this way . . .

" Look, I've been a fan of drum corps for a VERY long time. I've spent a great deal of time, effort, and money on behalf of the activity. Even more, as a once marching member of a corps, I am a competitor. I will not let this activity leave me without a fight. I will vigorously promote changes that I believe will help, and I will strongly reject any change I believe will work against us. I have never been bashful about my enthusiasm and passion for this, and in NO way will I go away quietly!"

There's something positive in this kind of conviction and energy, I think.

what he said

I stay because you never know if the new season will bring something of great beauty or excitement. It might or might not, so you have to make the effort to see. In 2010 I heard THE MOST BEAUTIFUL MUSIC I've ever heard in my life when I heard Phantom Regiment's "Into the Light" show. It placed 6th in finals, so a show doesn't have to be a medalist to deeply touch and inspire you.

I have to agree with this. I thought it was a beautiful show from top to bottom.

I personally know a few DCI fans that did not like the show at all and though it to be strange that I liked it.

When I volunteered for a certain corps back in 2010, there was a competition where there was ample seating and I was able to find a good seat near the top to watch. There was an old guy sitting behind me and just to the left. Every few minutes he would grumble to the guy next to him (I believe they came out together to spectate) about this or that, or how this was crap, that was crap, this corps doesn't even move, he was laughing and tearing Crown apart at that point in their show where they were doing some kind of somersault on their back, kicking their legs up in the air. He didn't seem to care that he was annoying other people. He was upset that the corps were not marching 160bpm 90% of the time.

Even when Blue Stars came on and did their show, which was actually a pretty fast-paced show, he ridiculed the wooden boxes that the guard would occasionally get locked into and escape. He applauded for nobody except...

when Madison Scouts came on and did their relatively easy program, he couldn't get enough of it.

So you see how I see a lot of the "old timers". I guess I would say, if you don't like the activity now, you don't have to pay money to come out and watch. There's going to be another fan to take your place.

I love the activity because of the quality of programs and loud brass. Even some of the lesser corps I have enjoyed immensely at times. Loud brass, story-telling on the field, watching the corps become better night after night, watching those kids sweat and suffer through 12 weeks and pay $2,000 + to do it, just for the love of performing and making themselves better people.

If every kid joined a drum corps at least for one year, the world would be a much, much, much better place. This is the best thing about DCI.

And like I was telling someone earlier, drum corps often evokes such a strong emotional response in their fans. This is a good thing. There are activities that are worse off than drum corps. DCP is an outlet for us fans to be able to have an outlet for our strong emotions. Outlets are needed. This is why we stick around.

• Like 4

I started posting and following in the 90's on RAMD (horrible place), then went to Sound Machine and now DCP for the past 12 years. I have followed many of the posters on here about 10 plus years. I never marched but have followed both my kids through the years. I like to read everyone's opinions of shows and always try to make it to one towards the end of the season (my yearly vacation). Reading DCP is like watching a movie trailer, in a way, I know what to look for and have an understanding of what each corps is putting on the field. Fan Network is a dream come true. I rate performances on tears and goose bumps, not very sophisticated, just a love of the art. Another plus of belonging to the DCP community is when I do go to a show I get to meet up with some great people! I don't ever see myself walking away from Drum Corps, I hope to be around to watch my grand kids on the field, I don't think it could get any better than that.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

<snip>

My main interest is in those that think the activity is dead, is glorified marching band, and that it is awful. Why do those that think it is so far gone beyond repair and their enjoyability, still like to stir up hell about it even though they are so disgusted?

Great topic. I guess I fall into this category in some ways. Drum corps is absolutely marching band! Is the activity "dead?" No. But the activity I fell in love with in the 1980s is dead. The current activity has a very high level of excellence and it seems to be a positive for youth. I'm not going to say it's "awful." In fact, I'd be happy if my kids marched someday. But as a fan, I haven't bought recordings since the early 2000s, and I rarely go to shows anymore.

But why stick around?

1. DCI is not as good as it used to be (IMO), but it is still the best there currently is.
  2. The corps are kind of like old friends. I don't condone all of what they are up to these days, and we have grown apart. But, we go way back, and I like to check in with them to see what they are up to every so often. Kind of like going to a high school reunion or something.
  3. I guess it's habit to some extent.
  • Like 1

That's exactly my understanding of it as well.