One Person's Thoughts on Animal Farm.

Too bad Ghost couldn't choose some other drum corps to haunt. And, yes, the negative comments are both incessant and predictable. Furthermore, don't post a page long diatribe written by some unknown author and then hide behind the claim that those views are not shared by you. Why don't you ever offer anything positive?. There is a large group of alumni, myself included, that just as soon you move on..and don't imagine for one second that volunteering for one week on the food truck entitles you to attack the corps, its members, staff, or management in a public forum. It wouldn't have been tolerated in 1964, either. Perhaps the time has come for you to find another interest.

hmmmm why is it ok to discuss almost everything in other corps threads and not here. From what I have seen, even those who didnt care for BC show this year or didnt think they were clean enough or whatever, it has been very respectful here. Have you read other corps threads?

If the corps is good enough in time to break into top 3 , get ready for the critics, It comes with the territory unfortunately. BD just won and the critics are out in full force

Edited by GUARDLING

Once you make top 3, you simply take Bob Knight's burial philosophy.

Furthermore, don't post a page long diatribe written by some unknown author and then hide behind the claim that those views are not shared by you.

Please quote Craiga the post where I said I shared the authors thoughts.

face down?...lol

Yup. :devil:

It's how I plan on going out...

Edited by HornTeacher

As we're looking at "Animal Farm" we have to remember not all tenth place finishes are equal.

"Animal Farm" will not be one of my all time favorite shows--Red in 2002 or Titans in 2012 are more my style. Still, I found it intriguing, knew it would find an audience, and assumed that by the end of the season the judges would be receptive. The judges in many cases did not embrace the show, and when judging is so subjective, being edgy can be risky. This time last week I was predicting possible 7th place finish knowing the likely result could be 9th. I did not expect 10th.

Now some question some of the strategic plans of the corps. Any non-profit today that wants to survive which includes youth activities, private schools, churches, social service agencies, etc. have to have strategic plans for three to five years and at least a blueprint of how things will be financed. Boston Crusaders has board members who are strong in this area, one of whom is one of Boston's most respected business leaders in one of the nation's most successful investment firms. The corps that have folded in the past few years probably did not have solid strategic plans in place. This is critical. If a corps does not have this in place, it will take away from the show. A corps may not know the make up of a corps from year to year as far as membership, but if a business plan is not in place, there will be no corps.

Did "Animal Farm" and a tenth place finish hurt the corps? As far as Boston area fans and alums, probably not. Yes there were vocal opinions both positive and negative, but that's the case every year. Most of us are proud to still have a corps that has made finals for fifteen year in a row. When 27th fell from finals in 1985, we did not have a Massachusetts corps in finals until BAC in 1999.That was a long time. Will it negatively influence non-drum corps donors such as businesses? A tax deduction is a tax deduction and service to the community, not placement would be what matters most. Will it have a negative impact on recruitment. Normally a tenth place finish would pose some challenges and lead to the rumor mill of falling from finals. I went to Atlanta this year and was surprised that at least 2/3rds of the audience seemed to be made up of high school and college aged kinds and a show that generated huge excitement was "Animal Farm." I'm thinking this could lead to more auditions.

I am hoping that next year's show will not be as dark and edgy, but I also hope Boston Crusaders pushes itself and challenges itself as they did this year.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 3

I'm so happy now that they didn't slaughter a pig on the field, much harder to clean up than baby powder!!

The judges in many cases did not embrace the show, and when judging is so subjective, being edgy can be risky.

The execution scores across captions were lower than the corps who were in the 5th-7th groupings. It had nothing to do with being embraced or not; the show was simply never anywhere clean enough in brass, percussion, guard, or marching for it to be a threat to the middle of the pack. Had it been cleaner, the GE impact would have been improved, along with the execution numbers.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1