2015 Predictions

What I do appreciate from a judging standpoint, is the variety of styles being rewarded. I lump BD, Crown and Bluecoats in the more modern style and Cadets and SCV in the more traditional style..

• Like 2

I have seen BD and Cadets a few times this summer and watched both again last night. As a result I was compelled to go back and look at shows by these corps from prior years, as a comparison. The conclusion that I came to (My opinion of course) is that BD are always coming out with something new, every year they are fresh and push the activity a few more inches (or yards) forward. Cadets on the other hand, have added a few more notes to the music to make it more complicated but in essence their show this year has a look, sound and feel which is exactly the same as shows from 15 years ago.

Maybe that is what the community wants ie 'The good old days' ? If not, then I really don't get how BD are not winning by a mile. Maybe the crowd wants a change in champion which is ok as long as it is earned, otherwise the title has no value.

Just an opinion!

• Like 2

I have seen BD and Cadets a few times this summer and watched both again last night. As a result I was compelled to go back and look at shows by these corps from prior years, as a comparison. The conclusion that I came to (My opinion of course) is that BD are always coming out with something new, every year they are fresh and push the activity a few more inches (or yards) forward. Cadets on the other hand, have added a few more notes to the music to make it more complicated but in essence their show this year has a look, sound and feel which is exactly the same as shows from 15 years ago.

Maybe that is what the community wants ie 'The good old days' ? If not, then I really don't get how BD are not winning by a mile. Maybe the crowd wants a change in champion which is ok as long as it is earned, otherwise the title has no value.

Just an opinion!

Different strokes for different folks. There's nothing wrong with corps being different OR traditional. Some people believe "newer" is better, others believe what's old is new again.

• Like 3

Just an opinion!

I believe the sheets the judges use are the same regardless of whether the show is "new and fresh!" or "sooooo 15 years ago!"

• Like 1

Just an opinion!

I disagree. BD has been using the same formula since 2008. Park n bark, very little drill and more staging, very little unison guard work, lots of props all over the field almost using field as a stage. I like them a bunch this year but their formula is not avante garde anymore. I think Bluecoats, are the innovators at this point embracing electronics and sounds to create effect. I don't love their show, but I appreciate it for being forward thinking.

Cadets have experimented with voice, narration, story telling in past years and have presented a product highlighting what they do well this season. That's their BRAND and good for them not following the crowd and altering their identity.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 6

Just an opinion!

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. Whether or not you like BD's show more than the Cadets this year is sort of irrelevant to the greater point you make. The Cadets have pushed this activity more than most, if not all. The Blue Devils have been fairly formulaic in their approach over the past decade. I think your opinion is not based on the history or evolution of drumcorps. I think the drumcorps community wants different things. That's why people have favorite corps, and corps they would rather miss to wait in line for a hotdog.

I am really enjoying the state of things right now - as in nothing is set - the whole thing top to bottom is up for grabs at this point. Sure there are 'areas' where we know corps will place but the eventual placement within that area is anybody's guess and theories abound. In my five years as a drum corps fan, I have never seen even close to this much opportunity for a shake-up. It's very exciting!

REALLY looking forward to San Antonio!!!

• Like 2

I am really enjoying the state of things right now - as in nothing is set - the whole thing top to bottom is up for grabs at this point. Sure there are 'areas' where we know corps will place but the eventual placement within that area is anybody's guess and theories abound. In my five years as a drum corps fan, I have never seen even close to this much opportunity for a shake-up. It's very exciting!

REALLY looking forward to San Antonio!!!

I envy you.

They all have a certain formula. duhhhh!

It wouldn't be the same without it. As long as there is no dumb singing I love it all.

HERE $#$^KING HERE!!!!