Staff merrigoround

Again, Crown is strange from a design standpoint. When they program percussion features, its out of necessity for what they have planned for the brass. For some reason, they are having trouble getting the kids to perform at the same level as other programs. What I'm curious to see is whether or not they make a change in order to make that happen.

I'm going to give this a resounding yes. I'm not sure if they have a choice if they'd like to stay in the hunt for a championship with the West Coast boys.

i've felt for a while now that jim casella would be a perfect fit at crown.

I definitely think that is an interesting prospect, although Crown's design choices are very different from those of Cavaliers or Vanguard when Casella was there. I'm all for seeing his writing on the field again. Not sure how likely that is though.

Dave Glyde has written the brass book since 2004. Downey then arranges it for brass and adds his flair, and the Blue Devils sound to it. This combo has, in my opinion, been pure magic year in and out.

Dave??? He's a drummer...when did he start doing brass?

I think you mean John Meehan.

Dave??? He's a drummer...when did he start doing brass?

I think you mean John Meehan.

No, he means Dave. He's been working extensively with Wayne on the music program for some time, extensively writing much of, if not all of it before handing it off to Wayne for orchestration.

Huh.,....didn't know that.

Dave has been writing BOTH brass and percussion since (correct me if I'm wrong) 2004.

Scott Chandler comes up with the show idea/concept. Then Dave and Scott discuss music. Dave writes and lays out the whole show. Jay Murphy then gets involved to talk visual. After that - Downey, Johnson, Meehan, etc. get involved.

It's the perfect formula with such brilliant minds.

Dave has been writing BOTH brass and percussion since (correct me if I'm wrong) 2004.

Scott Chandler comes up with the show idea/concept. Then Dave and Scott discuss music. Dave writes and lays out the whole show. Jay Murphy then gets involved to talk visual. After that - Downey, Johnson, Meehan, etc. get involved.

It's the perfect formula with such brilliant minds.

Well yeah...what works works.

actucker,

I completely disagree that the staff is "having trouble getting the kids to perform at the same level as other programs." The talent is not the primary problem. Also, to say that the staff intentionally exposed a weak percussion section to highlight brass moments is just untrue. The general effect problems are mostly about design and staging. The weakness in the percussion deals more with writing than talent. I have listened to the 2014 show several times. The writing in the percussion section seems to be more about power than melody, phrasing, nuance. Listen to the difference in writing between SCV and Crown. Power playing no longer has a prominent place DCI. I have not found it to support the melodies or harmonies of what the hornline is doing very well at all. This show suffered significantly from the beginning with design issues that took too long to correct and there was little chance. to clean the show effectively because of such problems. I am proud of the guard and the visual for being able to come so far despite the design issues.The brass is phenomenal. I think a new program director and changes in percussion are needed.

2013 DCI Champs need a new Program Director already?

• Like 4

My thoughts where changes need to made;

DCI - replace the visual caption people and get Cesario away from having judging influence

Troopers - New visual designer and coordinator

Scouts - the same plus guard staff

Phantom - New brass arranger, maybe visual designer

Spirit - new coordinator or more hands on

Pioneer - new visual and music designers, hands on coordinator

My thoughts where changes need to made;

DCI - replace the visual caption people and get Cesario away from having judging influence

Troopers - New visual designer and coordinator

Scouts - the same plus guard staff

Phantom - New brass arranger, maybe visual designer

Spirit - new coordinator or more hands on

Pioneer - new visual and music designers, hands on coordinator

Phantom definitely needs a new visual designer. Come on Michael Gaines jump on board!