Staff merrigoround

Academy's guard finished 20th in semis (corps in 15th), and Boston's guard finished 13th in semis.

I dont think BAC CG getting 13th at semis is a fair assessment of their season performance when they came in 9th in allentown(if you combined both nights), 8th at prelims and 9th at finals.

• Like 2

Bring Gordon Henderson back to DCI!!!

Interestingly, Mr. Henderson has been the Brass Consultant this past year for the Regiment.

According to his biography on the Regiment site, he has served as Head Horn instructor or Brass Arranger for three DCI champions ( the 1989 and 1999 Santa Clara Vanguard and the 1992 Cavaliers ) in addition to instructing at other corps such as The Cadets and the Troopers. Also, he has served as the Arranger for the nine-time All-Japan champions, Aimachi of Nagoya.

I would like to see GH considered as the Brass Arranger for PR, especially if they can also retain Christian Carichner , their current Caption Head. I think he has done a remarkable job this year and we all saw the results this past weekend.

Also, picking up on Lincoln's post # 26 and the concerns of many others, it is probably time for a change in Program Coordinator first.

Perhaps Mr Henderson should be considered for this position as well.

Edited by 1956OPR
  • Like 1

Interestingly, Mr. Henderson has been the Brass Consultant this past year for the Regiment.

According to his biography on the Regiment site, he has served as Head Horn instructor or Brass Arranger for three DCI champions ( the 1989 and 1999 Santa Clara Vanguard and the 1992 Cavaliers ) in addition to instructing at other corps such as The Cadets and the Troopers. In addition, he has served as the Arranger for the nine-time All-Japan champions, Aimachi of Nagoya.

I would like to see GH considered as the Brass Arranger for PR, especially if they can also retain Christian Carichner , their current Caption Head. I think he has done a remarkable job this year and we all saw the results this past weekend.

Also, picking up on Lincoln's post # 26 and the concerns of many others, it is probably time for a change in Program Coordinator first.

Perhaps Mr Henderson should be considered for this position as well.

Maybe I should have been more specific by saying "bring him back as an arranger." His arranging is absolutely amazing. It's passionate, effective, aggressive...all things that are associated with Regiment.

I agree that CC should stay. He's an amazing instructor and the kids love him.

I definitely agree with your last statement; however, I think they already have someone on staff that could be extremely effective...Alan Spaeth. The man is extremely artistic and creative (not to mention has a track record of success) and could prove to breathe some life into what has become a redundant theme in the shows these past several years.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 2

I dont think BAC CG getting 13th at semis is a fair assessment of their season performance when they came in 9th in allentown(if you combined both nights), 8th at prelims and 9th at finals.

with the bottom 3 or 4 guards it could have been anyone's game at a given moment IMO.consistency , being clean, communication, of course achievement in any given year can be different from night to night. It's not a slam to any guard it's just is what it is for whatever reasons ( and there can be many )

was 13th a little harsh? maybe was 8th or 9th more realistic? Maybe

I definitely agree with your last statement; however, I think they already have someone on staff that could be extremely effective...Alan Spaeth. The man is extremely artistic and creative (not to mention has a track record of success) and could prove to breathe some life into what has become a redundant theme in the shows these past several years.

Completely agreed on this. I was really impressed with the overall artistic vibe that Regiment had this year. I like the guard unis, and the silks were wonderful. I like the concept of the uniform change, though not really impressed with either the before or after unis on the corps proper.

• Like 1

Re: your bolded quote above. With 3 distinct percussion features already taking place before the BALLAD in this year's show, this was clearly not the case. Design choices were off the mark this year, I don't think many people would dispute that. No corps, at least in my memory, has ever featured their weakest section as much as Crown did this year. That cost them a lot of points not just in percussion, but GE and for much of the season, Music Analysis, which eventually caught up a little at the end. But likely a bit too late at that point.

Yes, a change needs to be made not just in percussion, but perhaps on the creative end of things as a whole. While last year was superb, it could have easily ended up differently. Their inability to maximize their creativity to produce an effective ending (2010 was a total failure, for example) has really been their second Achilles heel for so many years. You can only make so many Crown sets during your closer before it becomes overdone. And we're already there. If they would use it earlier on in the show one of these years and devise some sort of a creative closing segment that didn't include a morphing crown segment, I think they'd not only push themselves further ahead, but they'd win over a lot more of the fans that have seemed to grow tired of the shtick by now.

Obviously, they shouldn't change a thing in their brass department. Harloff, Klesch, and co. are absolute masters at what they do. They're simply being held back by creative choices and other performance weaknesses that aren't their responsibility.

The two major percussion features in the show were designed specifically to set up a transition for a moment the brass wanted to create (the switches in and out of the high brass/frisbee feature). If the brass designers didn't want that moment, I doubt the battery would have had that exposure. One of those features was spent playing a sticking exercise on truck mufflers. In the mean time, the front had pretty much zero exposure in the entire show.

That's hardly programming to feature the percussion section.

The brass is the pretty clear priority in terms of programming exposure, more so than most other corps I saw this year.

I'm not suggesting that I know where those programming decisions come from. Again, the Crown percussion thing is a strange beast. Hard to tell if its Hannum, Klesch or someone else making those calls. In the mean time, their percussion execution numbers continue to be low compared to the rest of the corps. I could definitely see a justification for making a change.

Fair enough. I was just perusing a recap for outlying numbers. Didn't take much time to look at them across multiple recaps.

Ummmm...Yeeeesh! Now that's an image I don't want to visualize!

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

• Like 1