Staff merrigoround

Pedigree isn't everything. I've seen plenty of "big name" designed shows that I thought were awful. I think some of these conclusions (good and bad) are a little premature. Let's see what they put on the field first.

How dare you be so pragmatic and measured. If I only knew how to report or block you, buddy!

• Like 1

Here's what I don't understand.....

I marched in a certain corps (not the Phantom Regiment, if it matters) for several years and later went on to teach that corps. I still love that corps very much and only want what's best for them, as an organization in how they operate off the field, and as a competitive/entertainment entity on the field. They helped shape me into the person and teacher I am today and I owe them the world. I would never dream of coming onto DCP of any other public forum to trash that corps. And to be clear, over the years, there have been decisions made by the administration of that corps which I disagreed with, staff changes which I was not pleased about, creative decicisons that didn't excite me, and all sorts of other things which I feel could have been better handled or done differently.

I must also make it very clear that there were many times when these disagreements and displeasure happened while I was a member of the corps and while I was a member of the staff. As a member, there's not much you can do. If you don't like the way things are done, you are always free to choose to march someplace else when the season's over. I decided that my love for the corps meant more to me and decided to remain loyal and return to march year after year.

As a staff member, you're more tuned in to the administration and your voice does carry a certain amount of weight, especially if you are also an alum. The more years you serve on staff or behind the scenes, the more weight your voice can often carry. I was on the staff of that corps for many years and there were several times when I voiced my displeasure for this or that to the powers that be. On occasion, my opinion was taken into account and I was able to actually affect change (or no change, as the case may have been) to make me feel better about what was going on. But there were many times, even though my opinion was listened to and valued, when they decided to make their own decision anyway despite what I felt about it. Which is their right as the people charged with running the corps. They have to make choices and do what they feel is best, even if others may disagree.

I'm no longer officially associated with that corps, but I'm still a proud alum. I still love that corps. And even though I can be critical from time to time of what they're doing on or off the field, I try to be as respectful as I can because my love for the corps won't allow me to tarnish their name or reputation in public. I would NEVER come onto DCP and show the kind of disrespect that some commenters have shown the Phantom Regiment*** staff or administrators the way that has taken place in this thread and others. The kind of disrespect that, regardless of whatever good intentions they might have, winds up tarnishing the name and reputation of the corps they claim to love. With the amount of horse #### being flung at individuals on PR's staff and admin who are actually putting their names and reputations on the line every day by working with that corps, it is inevitable that some of that #### will wind up landing on the corps itself. And that does nobody any good. It just makes the corps look bad, and as former members (which I take it these commenters are), it makes their alumni look even worse.

*** (or substitute ANY corps whose alumni take to DCP anonymously and start trashing what's going on....Cadets, Crown, Vanguard, whomever.)

Now, does this mean that all commenters who marched in a certain corps need to be blindly loyal and never say a negative word in public? NO. But do any of these commenters have any kind of common sense at all when it comes to how to express displeasure or disapproval without being a complete A-hole about it?? Apparently not. That much has been proven to be abundantly clear for a long time now on DCP.

The best way to affect change is to go through the proper channels. I take it that these commenters know the folks in charge at Phantom. If you have a problem with how the corps is being run or the choices being made, whether they are creative choices or administrative choices, you know how to contact those in charge directly. Perhaps you've already done that and they still don't heed your advice or they dismiss your opinions. Well, guess what? You've done what you can and they will have to live with their choices, and you will have to live with yours. I can only wonder, though, if the way these commenters express themselves to the folks in charge is any way close to the way they express themselves anonymously on DCP...it would be no wonder why their opinions are dismissed!

Which plays into the larger point I'm trying to make. If you really do mean the best for your corps and you disagree with something they're doing, why would anyone even bother listening or respecting what you have to say if you're expressing yourself like a complete doooshbag, making personal attacks against individuals etc.?? Furthermore, what do you possibly hope to accomplish by taking this to a public message board? The only people who can actually do anything about the things you're unhappy with are those folks running the corps, not the masses on DCP. All you're essentially doing is complaining to a bunch of strangers and making a corps you claim to love look bad in the process. (Think of it this way: Would you walk up to some person you've never met before at the supermarket and start telling them all of your family's dirty laundry? I certainly hope not!) The whole thing is beyond childish. You're not doing any public service by bringing your complaints to a place like this. You're not inciting the most meaningful discussion amongst fans about the corps in question (though to be fair, there CAN be a healthy debate and discussion when your complaints or disagreements are expressed in a far more civil and respectful manner). You're simply attaching negativity and classlessness to one of the classiest drum corps ever to grace the field. GROW THE #### UP.

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 9

I marched in a certain corps (not the Phantom Regiment, if it matters) for several years and later went on to teach that corps. I still love that corps very much and only want what's best for them, as an organization in how they operate off the field, and as a competitive/entertainment entity on the field. They helped shape me into the person and teacher I am today and I owe them the world. I would never dream of coming onto DCP of any other public forum to trash that corps. And to be clear, over the years, there have been decisions made by the administration of that corps which I disagreed with, staff changes which I was not pleased about, creative decicisons that didn't excite me, and all sorts of other things which I feel could have been better handled or done differently.

I must also make it very clear that there were many times when these disagreements and displeasure happened while I was a member of the corps and while I was a member of the staff. As a member, there's not much you can do. If you don't like the way things are done, you are always free to choose to march someplace else when the season's over. I decided that my love for the corps meant more to me and decided to remain loyal and return to march year after year.

As a staff member, you're more tuned in to the administration and your voice does carry a certain amount of weight, especially if you are also an alum. The more years you serve on staff or behind the scenes, the more weight your voice can often carry. I was on the staff of that corps for many years and there were several times when I voiced my displeasure for this or that to the powers that be. On occasion, my opinion was taken into account and I was able to actually affect change (or no change, as the case may have been) to make me feel better about what was going on. But there were many times, even though my opinion was listened to and valued, when they decided to make their own decision anyway despite what I felt about it. Which is their right as the people charged with running the corps. They have to make choices and do what they feel is best, even if others may disagree.

I'm no longer officially associated with that corps, but I'm still a proud alum. I still love that corps. And even though I can be critical from time to time of what they're doing on or off the field, I try to be as respectful as I can because my love for the corps won't allow me to tarnish their name or reputation in public. I would NEVER come onto DCP and show the kind of disrespect that some commenters have shown the Phantom Regiment*** staff or administrators the way that has taken place in this thread and others. The kind of disrespect that, regardless of whatever good intentions they might have, winds up tarnishing the name and reputation of the corps they claim to love. With the amount of horse #### being flung at individuals on PR's staff and admin who are actually putting their names and reputations on the line every day by working with that corps, it is inevitable that some of that #### will wind up landing on the corps itself. And that does nobody any good. It just makes the corps look bad, and as former members (which I take it these commenters are), it makes their alumni look even worse.

*** (or substitute ANY corps whose alumni take to DCP anonymously and start trashing what's going on....Cadets, Crown, Vanguard, whomever.)

Now, does this mean that all commenters who marched in a certain corps need to be blindly loyal and never say a negative word in public? NO. But do any of these commenters have any kind of common sense at all when it comes to how to express displeasure or disapproval without being a complete A-hole about it?? Apparently not. That much has been proven to be abundantly clear for a long time now on DCP.

The best way to affect change is to go through the proper channels. I take it that these commenters know the folks in charge at Phantom. If you have a problem with how the corps is being run or the choices being made, whether they are creative choices or administrative choices, you know how to contact those in charge directly. Perhaps you've already done that and they still don't heed your advice or they dismiss your opinions. Well, guess what? You've done what you can and they will have to live with their choices, and you will have to live with yours. I can only wonder, though, if the way these commenters express themselves to the folks in charge is any way close to the way they express themselves anonymously on DCP...it would be no wonder why their opinions are dismissed!

Which plays into the larger point I'm trying to make. If you really do mean the best for your corps and you disagree with something they're doing, why would anyone even bother listening or respecting what you have to say if you're expressing yourself like a complete doooshbag, making personal attacks against individuals etc.?? Furthermore, what do you possibly hope to accomplish by taking this to a public message board? The only people who can actually do anything about the things you're unhappy with are those folks running the corps, not the masses on DCP. All you're essentially doing is complaining to a bunch of strangers and making a corps you claim to love look bad in the process. (Think of it this way: Would you walk up to some person you've never met before at the supermarket and start telling them all of your family's dirty laundry? I certainly hope not!) The whole thing is beyond childish. You're not doing any public servive by bringing your complaints to a place like this. You're not inciting the most meaningful discussion amongst fans about the corps in question (though to be fair, there CAN be a healthy debate and discussion when your complaints or disagreements are expressed in a far more civil and respectful manner). You're simply attaching negativity and classlessness to one of the classiest drum corps ever to grace the field. GROW THE #### UP.

Great post!!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to put your feelings out here. Well done.

Thank you for your opinion, seen-it-all. This is an opinion board where people offer their perspectives on certain issues. You say that one is allowed to critique an alumi and don't need to be a blind loyalist, but in the context of your whole message, this seems to be more lip service than anything else. I don't know you, drum corps is not a sacred entity. This is a place where people can come and just talk junk if they wish. You seem to take many people on DCP way too seriously. So, if I understand the point you wish to make. The only place that one can say anything negative about the corps is to the organization itself. In turn, nothing negative should be said on DCP turning into a purely postive place for people to come and just sing praises (e.g., worship) about all drum corps organizations (e.g., the sacred entity). The person I am today I do not owe to a drum corps. There are many more important things to attach ones identity to. To ME, this is a message trying to quilt people into silence and really nothing more.

Thank you for your opinion, seen-it-all. This is an opinion board where people offer their perspectives on certain issues. You say that one is allowed to critique an alumi and don't need to be a blind loyalist, but in the context of your whole message, this seems to be more lip service than anything else. I don't know you, drum corps is not a sacred entity. This is a place where people can come and just talk junk if they wish. You seem to take many people on DCP way too seriously. So, if I understand the point you wish to make. The only place that one can say anything negative about the corps is to the organization itself. In turn, nothing negative should be said on DCP turning into a purely postive place for people to come and just sing praises (e.g., worship) about all drum corps organizations (e.g., the sacred entity). The person I am today I do not owe to a drum corps. There are many more important things to attach ones identity to. To ME, this is a message trying to quilt people into silence and really nothing more.

No, that's not what I said, or implied. Not only did I say that people should NOT just demonstrate blind loyalty and never say a negative word ever, but I also said that there most definitely CAN be a healthy debate and discussion when your complaints or disagreements are expressed in a far more civil and respectful manner. But if I take the point YOU wish to make, you aren't even interested much in being taken seriously to begin with, so it bears the question..... What do you care?

I am perfectly capable of understanding what you said. What I called it was lip service. I can answer your question easily. I offer opinions that people like or dislike. This is a hobby and a good distraction when I need one. On DCP I can't control whether people care about what I say or don't. If people care to take me seriously, good. If not, their loss. I don't post on here to please people. You claim to want respectful and civil dialogue, but what exactly would that look like to you? See, I believe this will be very difficult for you to answer because you have gone way over the top with your concept of absolute positivity.

Edited by Nachfolger Christi
  • Like 1